Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Planning a timelapse with a K-3

I'm thinking of doing one on Friday night for our town tree lighting. I've done a couple of these but have failed at as many or more than I have succeeded for various reasons.
I'm trying to get this one planned well enough to have a good chance at succeeding!

I'm going to have the camera with battery grip and extra battery clamped in place on a rooftop.
The festivities start around sunset to dusk and continue into darkness until Santa shows up and lights the tree.

I'm thinking of TAv in interval mode, setting the exposure and aperture once and letting ISO take care of the changing light. I'd let it shoot for 60-90 minutes.
Does this seem like a valid approach? Does interval mode take a new meter reading for each shot or does it stay static once you start the sequence? If it is the latter I'll have to rethink this but I suspect it does. Another option would be Av mode but I'd be afraid the exposure might get too long and I'd start missing intervals.

For those of you who have done time lapses, what interval do you recommend? I think when I did 5s in the past it was pretty choppy with people moving around (a big crowd gradually gathers). I was thinking maybe 2s but then I will get a whole lot of images to process. If that is what it takes then I don't mind.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

This is the basic scene but I'll be on the other side of the street this year.

11-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few grain-of-silver-halide thoughts:

1. Visit the site at the proposed start and stop times and take some meter readings (or check EV levels in prior photographs of the event). You may find that the shutter time and aperture that gives you ISO 100 at dusk needs unacceptably high ISO in full night. It might be a good time to look at Av or the dreaded P=professional mode to get the full range of exposure adjustment especially if you want to start before sunset to get the empty "before" street.

2. One of the toughest problems with dusk-to-night is that the scene shifts from the proverbial 18% gray (decently lit foreground + bright sky) to a much darker tone (dark sky + dark foreground). Center-weighted metering will tend to overexpose the night scene and blow the highlights like the tree (unless you are lucky and the light meter underflows). You might use EV compensation so that the night image is properly exposed even if the dusk shots are underexposed (but they can be boosted in post if you have low-ISO RAWs).

3. Crazy idea: Does the K-3 do HDR in interval shooting and does the K-3's HDR RAW file contain all the shots? If so you might play around with that as a way of doing bracketing and interval shooting (although it will seriously slow the processing time & storage time unless you do RAW+ with a tiny JPG as the merged output). It's a crazy idea so try it before you depend on it!

4. 90 minutes at 5 sec per shot is 1080 shots (36 seconds of 30 fps video). That seems feasible unless the camera gets really cold. At 2 seconds/shot, it's 2700 shots but I'd be skeptical that the camera can do it. The shortest possible interval is defined by the longest shutter time plus the processing and storage time.

Good luck & have fun!

Last edited by photoptimist; 11-28-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Typo... meant to say Av, not Tv
11-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks.
Yeah, I forgot to mention I'll probably be starting at sunset at the earliest which will somewhat limit the DR. I figured I'd go something like -1 to -1.5 ev for the whole series to account for bright stuff like the lights.

I do 2s intervals for star trails and the camera can definitely do it. It's really the changing conditions that will be the new element I want to correctly account for.
11-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

My k-s2 fail with 2 sec intervals, too much to handle...

I used TV mode only once and the result wasn't great, I prefer to use AV or M in normal conditions.

If you start slightly overexposed you should end up underexposed.

Have you ever used Ltrtimelapse?

Last edited by elvbel; 11-28-2017 at 04:00 PM.
11-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually use a interval between 3 and 6 seconds. I would try 4 seconds in this instance. I have never used the in camera function to create the video but do it on my computer. Dragging the shutter to create a more fluid video is also something I do when there is to much light (using a ND-filter) but in this instance that shouldnít be a problem. The transition from daylight to evening and visa versa is a tough one. I have tried it but havenít had any succes yet. This is where I look for answers: Timescapes - Digital Timelapse Discussion - Index page
11-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elvbel Quote
My k-s2 fail with 2 sec intervals, too much to handle...

I used TV mode only once and the result wasn't great, I prefer to use AV or M in normal conditions.

If you start slightly overexposed you should end up underexposed.

Have you ever used Ltrtimelapse?
That was my thought too.

I have not used LRTimelapse but I have heard of it. Would you recommend it?
In the past I have used Microsoft Movie Maker primarily because it is free. It's ok but I know I could do a lot better if I spent some money.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I usually use a interval between 3 and 6 seconds. I would try 4 seconds in this instance. I have never used the in camera function to create the video but do it on my computer. Dragging the shutter to create a more fluid video is also something I do when there is to much light (using a ND-filter) but in this instance that shouldnít be a problem. The transition from daylight to evening and visa versa is a tough one. I have tried it but havenít had any succes yet. This is where I look for answers: Timescapes - Digital Timelapse Discussion - Index page
Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm planning on assembling the video on my PC, not in-camera.
11-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I did a few sunsets to blue hour time-lapse with both K-5 and K-3. On a day with a lot of clods and wind, camera’s meters will jump back and forth and light flicker is the most painful part to me. If you will do it after sunset, let say Blue hour to dark night sky, I found that It is a lot less work for me to go with M-mode, -0.5, and Continuous Shooting (not –interval shooting)
Any way you can run a few days of test shooting with difference combination and see what works.
11-29-2017, 04:42 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
That was my thought too.

I have not used LRTimelapse but I have heard of it. Would you recommend it?
In the past I have used Microsoft Movie Maker primarily because it is free. It's ok but I know I could do a lot better if I spent some money.

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm planning on assembling the video on my PC, not in-camera.
There's a free version of LTRtimelapse you can try it with some old projects and compare the results.
If I'm not wrong it only works with PS or Lr.

12-02-2017, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a MS Movie Maker version. 1102 shots, 6s apart. I went with Av mode and -1 ev to preserve highlights. Minor LR adjustment and just threw it together.
I didn't worry about flicker and it doesn't seem bad to me.
12-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Here's a MS Movie Maker version. 1102 shots, 6s apart. I went with Av mode and -1 ev to preserve highlights. Minor LR adjustment and just threw it together.
I didn't worry about flicker and it doesn't seem bad to me.
Night of Lights timelapse 2017 - YouTube
Looks fine to me. Congratulations! To get it to the next level if you ever do this again you could record some sound and use it under the music. Especially when the lights in the tree light up I expect the crowd to react and if it is audible in the video it will reinforce the importance of the moment. (I did the same with a thunderstorm this summer. The moment you see the lightning you hear the rumble you expect to hear.)