Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2017, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do Pentax dslr's recall from restarts?

Ok, this might seem like a daft question but I'm not sure I can completely get my head around what the camera stores in terms of menu and camera setting adjustments between power downs and toggling back on again.

I use User Modes, I have all 5 filled up (saved of course). If I alter TAv mode on the dial, and P mode and even Manual mode, and make changes in each of those modes, is each mode recalling those tweaks or are some tweaks 'global' and apply throughout P, TAv and M dial/mode?

Because I can even make a change to a pre saved User Mode and the change is still applied if the camera is still on and not toggled off (and also I think even if goes to sleep and woke up with shutter button), it's not until I power off and power on again that the User Mode fully resets to what I initially set up and saved it to being (at least I'm pretty sure this is the case with K-1 and KP). Like... perhaps User Mode 1 is set to continuous burst high, and you change it to single shot, that single shot I think stays put even if you toggle the mode dial during the same power up session. If you go back to User Mode 1 it won't actually be back to continuous burst high (the initial saved setting) until the dslr is properly switched off and switched back on again. Am i right?

I'm curious if I can squeeze more 'User Modes' out of my K-1/KP by essentially tweaking TAv, Av and P mode, if a power down recalls what I left them at last time that might work out well for me, if certain settings are applied throughout TAv, P and M then that might not...

Or... is there a way to 'save' what TAv, Av and P mode do upon switching the camera on each time (essentially becoming a User Mode of sorts), i.e. is set to forget what was last used and instead use x,y and z parameters upon each restart/power one?

Cheers,

Bruce

12-01-2017, 12:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have it correct, Bruce. Think of a User Mode as a starting set of options. You can make any changes you want while in any of the modes. But once you either turn to another UM or power cycle, you are back to the starting blocks when you return to the original UM again. In fact, I and probably many other togs have gotten into the habit of just power cycling with the right finger rather than turning the mode dial.
12-01-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
You have it correct, Bruce. Think of a User Mode as a starting set of options. You can make any changes you want while in any of the modes. But once you either turn to another UM or power cycle, you are back to the starting blocks when you return to the original UM again. In fact, I and probably many other togs have gotten into the habit of just power cycling with the right finger rather than turning the mode dial.
You'd think that, but I think you're a little incorrect. If my camera is set to User Mode 1, and that dial has been presaved to having continuous bursting mode high, and then you power on, check settings, yep all good, as should be, then you change the shooting mode to single, then you rotate the mode dial to something else (P, M or another User Mode), then you go back to UM1... guess what, it's recalled that you last left off as Single Mode and its still applied. It's only when you completely turn off and back on again that it reverts to saved settings.

Ok... i have used my italics allowance for the remainder of the year, please forgive me, I have 13 left to use before I exceed my 2017 italic allowance, I have to use them anyway I can so that I get the same budget for italics on 2018

Please note, if I don't power off my camera (ie let it go into sleep mode), and restart it with the gentle push of the shutter button, it still recalls my last shooting mode (single mode) rather than actually starting up with UM1 saved settings. Interesting huh.

Hence the whole point of this thread, just what is recalled by Pentax from power on's, in specific regards to the Mode dials of P, M, TAv and Av etc. Can they each have some unique settings that are still applied after shutdown or do they reset to a specific standard, do they share some recalled settings etc?
12-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #4

Aren't there settings (Memory on my K10D) as to what gets recalled between power off cycles?

My K10D has only one User Mode and I have to "save" any setting changes I want to keep between power off cycles. Otherwise any changes I make "hold" between switching in and out of User Mode as long as the camera is "on", persisting through "sleep" cycles. What I do is save what I want into User Mode and when I want those settings switch to User Mode and then back to whichever mode is appropriate e.g. Av or Tv. That way if I make changes during shooting I can always switch back to User Mode to recall my base settings.

And sleep or standby is not the same as power off as something is still active to respond to button presses.

12-01-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Go to "memory" in the menu. There you can select which functions the camera remembers on start up after a power down. I leave almost everything unchecked so they reset to defaults upon start up.

Last edited by rangercarp; 12-01-2017 at 05:41 AM. Reason: typo
12-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Go to "memory" in the menu. There you can select which functions the camera remembers on start up after a power down. I leave almost everything unchecked so they reset to defaults upon start up
And if you use USER modes do this for each mode and save the mode after. This way you can have different memory items for each USER mode
02-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Go to "memory" in the menu. There you can select which functions the camera remembers on start up after a power down. I leave almost everything unchecked so they reset to defaults upon start up.
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
And if you use USER modes do this for each mode and save the mode after. This way you can have different memory items for each USER mode
Good ol' Bruce is slow on the uptake here, just stumbling upon this feature now. So i'm a little confused I thought the Memory (page 5 of the Camera menu) would only affect the NON User Modes (such as Av, TAv, Sv, M etc), because in essence when you configure a User Mode (U1-5) and save them, that's what you get when you power on each time, the saved settings for those User Modes.
For example, if I have U1 mode saved for having a Pixel Shift Resolution in effect (turned on), and yet in 'Memory' I uncheck that feature, if I turn the camera off and on again that U1 mode still has PSR on does it not? Because the saved User Mode overrides the 'Memory' choices in this regard? That's how I think it works no?
The 'Memory' applies only to those modes on the dial that are not User Mode saved (Auto, P, Sv, Tv, TAv, M, B and X).
So using the same example again, if I was in M mode and used PSR (but I have PSR unchecked in Memory), then if I turn the camera off and then on again PSR is actually off, even tho it was last left on.

It's definitely handy to have, although I typically shoot between my U1-U5, I do often visit Manual mode and then get annoyed because it recalls everything I last used including timers and PSR etc.

02-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd love to see a simple coherent explanation of Memory settings and User modes. I'm a beginner at using User modes on the KP, and find that what I expect is rarely quite what happens.
02-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
I'd love to see a simple coherent explanation of Memory settings and User modes. I'm a beginner at using User modes on the KP, and find that what I expect is rarely quite what happens.
I've had all my User Modes set up for the KP and K-1, I never quite had difficulty in making and getting them to save and do what I want them to do. I've had my K-1 for over a year now I think and only recently realised the whole 'Memory' section hehe.

Give us a shout if you're stuck, we're always here to help
02-26-2018, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Good ol' Bruce is slow on the uptake here, just stumbling upon this feature now.
You are not alone in not knowing that one can customize what settings are retained through a power cycle. There are so many things can really screw things up if one forgets to undo them.

I'd love to see a simple coherent explanation of Memory settings and User modes.
Memory settings determine what is retained through a power cycle. User mode trumps the memory settings (at least for shared settings).

Steve
02-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One place I'm struggling is that I'd like to set a User mode -- let's call it "Dark" mode -- to display no information or light of any kind on the back LCD. This would be useful in certain settings, like shooting at a quiet concert where other patrons might be irritated by the light from the camera.

I can set the instant review to OFF, but that setting is not recorded in the user mode. Instead, it affects all modes across the board. That also takes care of only the image review, and doesn't turn off other things on the LCD, such as the "processing image" message.

The LCD settings adjustment in the menu only turns it down, not off.

Any ideas?
02-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One place I'm struggling is that I'd like to set a User mode -- let's call it "Dark" mode -- to display no information or light of any kind on the back LCD. This would be useful in certain settings, like shooting at a quiet concert where other patrons might be irritated by the light from the camera.

I can set the instant review to OFF, but that setting is not recorded in the user mode. Instead, it affects all modes across the board. That also takes care of only the image review, and doesn't turn off other things on the LCD, such as the "processing image" message.

The LCD settings adjustment in the menu only turns it down, not off.

Any ideas?
Press Info twice, select 3rd one along (Display Off). Also, I think you can tell the Camera to recall the LCD brightness from power down to on, and even perhaps the User Mode, you could always set this to being the lowest in case you have to also toggle Display Off each time.
02-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Bruce.

I've had the display turned off since I got the camera.

The issue is getting it to skip the image review -- but only in Dark mode. I can set the image review to off, but then I don't get the image review in any other mode.
02-27-2018, 11:36 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Any ideas?
Are you still with the K-5IIs? Starting with the K-3, the instant review feature setting can be assigned to a User mode, but not on earlier cameras.

Steve
02-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you still with the K-5IIs? Starting with the K-3, the instant review feature setting can be assigned to a User mode, but not on earlier cameras.

Actually I'm using the KP.