Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will there be a setting for LED lighting white balance ... firmware update maybe?

Found LED lighting very annoying at a recent party, using my K3 and K5 ... couldn't do much about the WB setting though ...except after the event ... in PP.
No option for this type of lighting ... yet.
Is there a chance that this one day be done via a firmware update?
Perhaps I am stretching it a bit here ... asking for a K5 FW update, but at least for the K3 and newer cameras?

12-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #2

Different brands and types of LED have spectral spikes in different places, Custom is about the only way to go.
12-02-2017, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are usually only 3 colors of commercial LEDs. Cool, white and warm which have corresponding Kelvin values around 5000-6500, 3200-4500, and 2000-3000. It should be trivially easy to set a custom white balance any time, but you could also just get close with custom Kelvin setting as well.
12-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
Different brands and types of LED have spectral spikes in different places, Custom is about the only way to go.
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
There are usually only 3 colors of commercial LEDs. Cool, white and warm which have corresponding Kelvin values around 5000-6500, 3200-4500, and 2000-3000. It should be trivially easy to set a custom white balance any time, but you could also just get close with custom Kelvin setting as well.
Makes sense ... I've never thought a "Custom" setting.
I suppose you mean using the "K" setting ?

12-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Makes sense ... I've never thought a "Custom" setting.
I suppose you mean using the "K" setting ?
yes, the K setting in white balance
12-03-2017, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #6

If you check them in a photospectrometer you'll find that different brands and even different batches of a particular brand have spectrographic spikes which vary. They might be 3200k for instance, but that may well be a different balance of colours to get there (the kelvin temp is averaged). They arent a broad even spectrum light like daylight, strobe, or even tungsten, instead they mix the constituents of the led (physics and chemistry which is admittedly beyond me) to produce several colour spikes which balance to average at 3200k for instance.

They work fine, and you can use kelvin, but a custom white balance from a white card will probably give you the best results - quicker too.

Last edited by sqrrl; 12-03-2017 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Weird formatting
12-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
LED lighting is a nightmare, particularly at gigs when they strobe through many coloured LED's in quick succession, or use different front and rear LED lighting spots. One WB setting rarely works, and AWB will often read the colours wrong.

A grey card can help set a useful baseline, but otherwise the best solution seems to be to shoot RAW, and accept the need to do some post-processing.
12-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
LED lighting is a nightmare, particularly at gigs when they strobe through many coloured LED's in quick succession, or use different front and rear LED lighting spots. One WB setting rarely works, and AWB will often read the colours wrong.

A grey card can help set a useful baseline, but otherwise the best solution seems to be to shoot RAW, and accept the need to do some post-processing.
I know I have seen some posts on how to set a custom WB using a gray card. Is there a sticky or a site with videos for teaching how to go about it? I don't need to use a nearly $200.00 kit from Adorama or BandH but just a card.

12-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I know I have seen some posts on how to set a custom WB using a gray card.
I don't set a custom WB at the scene. Instead I always shoot RAW and take a few images of a grey card [$2 on eBay] under representative scene lighting (as best I can, if the stage is distant, for example). Then back home on the PC, I use the grey card shots to apply WB readings to selected images in Lightroom, using the WB dropper. It gives a good starting point for colour and WB fine-tuning, which is often the best you can hope for with LED's.
12-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I don't set a custom WB at the scene. Instead I always shoot RAW and take a few images of a grey card [$2 on eBay] under representative scene lighting (as best I can, if the stage is distant, for example). Then back home on the PC, I use the grey card shots to apply WB readings to selected images in Lightroom, using the WB dropper. It gives a good starting point for colour and WB fine-tuning, which is often the best you can hope for with LED's.
Not a light room user but If you can use whatever software to make the card look the proper shade of gray, then you are on the way I would suspect.
12-04-2017, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Not a light room user but If you can use whatever software to make the card look the proper shade of gray, then you are on the way I would suspect.
Most RAW tools have some form of WB dropper, luckily. Even the Pentax Digital Camera Utility lets you use a dropper to select up to 5 grey points in an image.

If I haven't been able to shoot a grey card on scene, I will often simply scour the image in PP for some element at an event that gives a good WB reading - like the neck of the microphone near a singer's face, for example.
12-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, in that case I will simply continue shooting RAW and deal with the adjustments in PP.
A real PITA but doable.