Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not going to hold my camera under a fawcet to test it but I have been caught in the rain a few times and take my camera always while I paddle my kayak around and have had no problems. I don't have sealed lenses either. A few common sense precautions and the camera should be ok. As Kim mentioned, if its raining hard enough to get water on the front of the lens, pictures will look like crap anyhow. When i'm in my kayak the camera is in a dry bag when i'm not using it.

08-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
With cell phones, be a little afraid. I've lost two cells to water. Both worked fine for about a month afterwards and then failed. Things just went haywire with the electronics. The service folks told me it was due to water contamination. The water gets in and slowly compromises the electronics. It doesn't necessarily happen over night, but it may very soon down the road. It shortens their life.

Just a word of warning from a weary cell user.
Oh no, and all the while I was elated to find my phone working after getting submerged in a pool. Thanks for the advice.
10-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So in other words, it'll hold up to light rain at a kids' soccer game no problemo... :-)
10-05-2008, 05:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I believe these two highly important aspects of the K200, k10 and K20 (weather sealing and OIS) have been totally under marketed.

With the right marketing Pentax could have capatilized on gaining massive market share from the other camera marques.

Even their present marketing doesn't???? Dumb IMHO

10-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There was a user on this forum that used his in a downpour. I wish I could say that there were no problems. Unfortunately his camera found its way to Pentax service. I don't know the final outcome.

My advice would be to avoid submersion or intentional drenching. The first seal failure may well be the last...

Steve

If I remember the same thread that person was using a non * lens, meaning it wasn't sealed. You only get the weather proofing if your using the sealed camera with a SEALED lens.

John
10-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
If I remember the same thread that person was using a non * lens, meaning it wasn't sealed. You only get the weather proofing if your using the sealed camera with a SEALED lens.

John
Indeed the case.

I had mine with non sealed lens in the rain just a week or so ago, and with careful hand shielding the lens, the camera was soak, and fine.
And don't remember that other dude on the forums here somewhere, who sent his pentax to space and back
10-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found the threads regarding failure of the K10D seals...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/30559-k10d-hea...-intended.html
Followed a few days later by...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/30737-help-i-m...-too-soon.html
And the final conclusion...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/31535-good-jud...ence-long.html
It is hard to say whether the how the water got in, but I am glad that the damage was not permanent.

Yesterday I was out shooting in the woods in the (sometimes torrential) rain. I had an umbrella and rain gear for me, but nothing in particular for the K10D. Despite the umbrella, the camera was wet most of the time as was the outside of my FA 35/2 and Zenitar 16/2.8. So far, no ill affects. Mind you, I did not subject the camera to direct exposure for any period of time. I am glad for the shields, but won't press my luck.

I remember some months ago I was watching Art Wolfe photographing in Patagonia on public TV. He shoots Canon and in one scene he was in a violently rocking boat with salt spray all around taking wonderful photos of seals. I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, the weather sealing on the camera/lens must be pretty good for him to risk that kind of exposure!" What I forgot is that Art Wolfe is a high-profile Canon-sponsored pro. If he toasts a camera/lens while demonstrating its features, he has a no-cost back-up unit waiting back in the van. As for most of us--our back-up, if any, is far from no-cost. I think that about sums it up.

Steve
10-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I would guess that part of the reason that they don't market the sealing so much is that they don't guarantee that it works. The warranty doesn't cover water (or sand) damage, even if you use a sealed lens/camera...
Pentax Canada - Out of Warranty Repair

They did have that K200D in a box of sand display at photokina though.

10-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
In terms of rain, how weather sealed is my K20D when I get the DA* in february?

Will it manage small amount of rain, heavy rain or thunderstorms?
I can answer this first hand from last night. My K10D took a hammering from the Monsoon in Blackpool, and no problems whatsoever. I had my DA* 50-135 on, and although the body was soaked, nothing got into it. Even the Hood on the lens stopped rain getting onto the lens.

One minor downside is that when I put my FA 50mm on, I little bit of mist appeared on the top LCD plate, but the camera still worked (I did only take a couple more shots as a precaution).

So with and weather sealed lens, the K10D/K20D, can take a hammering.

Just remember to get a Leather to dry it off (I will be)
10-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
In terms of rain, how weather sealed is my K20D when I get the DA* in february?

Will it manage small amount of rain, heavy rain or thunderstorms?
I've been through really a lot of water with k10d, and it worked perfectly... only one little "problem", and that's moist gathering between viewfinder screen and magnifier, but this is easily fixed by removing magnifier or just cleaning ih every now and then...

I had no problems in really heavy rain with 50-135
10-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #26
Forum Member

I used my K10D and Sigma 17-70(not sealed, obviously) during a typhoon about a week ago and it worked great. However, when I pulled it out of the bag about an hour later, there was (light)condensation between the lens and the UV filter. I took the filter off and let the camera sit for awhile and I haven't had any problems since. It's nice to know that the sealing, one of the main reasons I went Pentax, actually works as it is supposed to. Really quite a travel/hiking camera when you consider the sealing along with the build quality! Still, I'm not going to push my luck until I can pony up for one of those swanky DA*'s. Even then, it's only weather-resistance not water-proofing...