Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Weather seals, how much can it take?

In terms of rain, how weather sealed is my K20D when I get the DA* in february?

Will it manage small amount of rain, heavy rain or thunderstorms?

08-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I got caught in a pretty substansial rain while on vacation over the summer. I had left the bag in the hotel and only had the K20D with the DA*50-135mm with me. I tried to "protect" the camera as much as possible but I was totally soaked when I got back to the hotel. So was the camera. I towelled it off and it still works fine.
08-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So long as you don't submerge it, the camera should take any amount of rain in stride
08-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Some people have tested the K10D under a running stream of tap water. Pressure and all. It worked fine even after this.

In one of their adds, Pentax pour a martini on the K20D, that can give you an idea.

If the seals block water, they do not block "9 out of 10" drops, pressure is the only thing that could get water through if the seals are in place.

08-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Is this the same for the K200D or is the sealing inferior? I thought I read something somewhere about differences in the seals or at least number of seals (but that could be because there are less controls...)
08-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a user on this forum that used his in a downpour. I wish I could say that there were no problems. Unfortunately his camera found its way to Pentax service. I don't know the final outcome.

My advice would be to avoid submersion or intentional drenching. The first seal failure may well be the last...

Steve
08-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
I remember a thread that discussed the difference of sealing between k20d and k200d. There was a confusion about the number of seal points. The answer to that was the difference in external controls. Also, the concensus was that the level of sealing/protection is the same.
To be on the safe side, keep a plastic bag in pocket and don't try to snap any pictures under water.

08-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Not K20D but same seals if i remember correctly

Amateur Photographer & What Digital Camera: RAIN and the K200D and DA 50-135/2.8 (3 imgs)

I've shot my Toronto Zoo in light rain body is ok i kept some tissues handy and wiped after each shot, the kit lenses 18-55 II and 50-200 are okay too surprisingly now i want those weather sealed zooms

While i was shooting away i only ran into one other shooter in the rain "bagging" his Canon He made note of my camera brand, didn't ask me but i saw his eyes searching for the brand as we parted ways.
08-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

even if your camera shuts down from water intake, it doesnt mean thats its caput

my K100D was soaked in my bag from a leaking water bottle, it spent week drying out, and my LCD screen was really funny looking.

works like a champ

my Nokia phone? took a swim during a canoe tip over, survived

two weeks ago (see Killarney post in the photos section) it spent AN ENTIRE NIGHT at the bottom of the lake before i fished i out, dried it, and in 5 days it was like nothing happened.

so.. dont be afraid to get stuff wet!
08-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I've used my K20D with 50-135 a torrential downpour, and I didn't try to protect at all, basically was no point because the wind was howling at about 40-50 knots. I was shooting in this weather for about 2 hours, it was on a ship in the North Atlantic. I dried it off when I was done, let it "air dry" what I couldn't get with a towel, and it was good to go the following morning.
08-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well my Da* 16-50 survives pouring rain for 4 hours continuously. And no problem with k10d and the lens at all.

08-29-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

was in the mountains for a few days, raining pretty much everyday. my k20 + 16-50 got SOAKED. just dried them off at the end of each day. works fine
08-29-2008, 03:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

NaClH2O can tell story about this brother..
08-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
Kim

My K10D survived several hours of sailing in a thunder storm. I took countless direct hits from waves crashing over the boat as well as several hours of direct heavy rain on the camera.

The only problem was the water on the lens front element that ruined many pics.
08-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
my Nokia phone? took a swim during a canoe tip over, survived

two weeks ago (see Killarney post in the photos section) it spent AN ENTIRE NIGHT at the bottom of the lake before i fished i out, dried it, and in 5 days it was like nothing happened.

so.. dont be afraid to get stuff wet!

With cell phones, be a little afraid. I've lost two cells to water. Both worked fine for about a month afterwards and then failed. Things just went haywire with the electronics. The service folks told me it was due to water contamination. The water gets in and slowly compromises the electronics. It doesn't necessarily happen over night, but it may very soon down the road. It shortens their life.

Just a word of warning from a weary cell user.