Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #1

Choosing a camera opinion(s)

I did some reading and these three seem to be along the lines of what would work for me. I am not concerned about if I buy new or used. I am trying to stay between $300 - $500 (maybe a bit more for better product) for a user friendly but yet a lot more opportunity to learn on camera body. I would like pretty durable, weather/water resistant as i am a outdoors person. Compact and point and shot capable along with manual options. It wouldn't be something that would get used everyday. I am just a opportunity picture or event picture person. I won't be swimming with it so the waterproof is mainly just for security while outside away from shelter.

I got some really good opinions and cameras to look at in my welcome thread and now I want to take it a bit farther.

Here are three that interest me. Also, I just want to make sure my old lenses would work. Not just mount but function good for taking pictures. I would eventually buy new better lenses in the future. Not worries about the flash. Thanks

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-5 IIs vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

12-06-2017, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses will work on all three. No issues. The F and FA series functions correctly on digital.

I am partial to the K-3II but I understand the K-70 is an excellent camera. I think K-5 is too old if you have the budget for K-3II or K-70.
12-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps this will help regarding how Pentax lenses will work with various Pentax camera bodies

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

you have " F " and " FA " lenses correct?

look at the column 4th from the right on the chart for those lens type
12-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd probably go for with a new K-70, as it has the best image quality of the bunch, and also the most modern interface. If you don't shoot too much it should prove plenty durable, and it's only $599 new with warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you should ever want to use PLM lenses like the new 55-300 you will want the K-3II or the K-70. The K-3ii offers dual sd card slots and a bit more of a pro build. There is nothing wrong with the K-70, just not quite as nice in that respect.
12-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would also recommend the K-70 given your budget and long term goals.

Your lenses will work with it, but I have the SMC Pentax-F f/4-5.6 35-80mm and although it was okay with film, any 16MP sensor or greater shows it's lack of quality. Just know almost any lens that you eventually upgrade to will be better and that what you'll get with the K-70 is only as good as the optics on the camera and your technique.

And not to be an alarmist, but I have read reports of some older generic flash units causing problems on modern DSLRs. Do a bit of research on your Vivitar 1 flash before using it.
12-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also note that with those lenses your camera will NOT be weather resistant. You will need a WR lens as well.

12-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All models can function as point & shoot. Your lenses will work just fine, but be aware that with a DSLR in the usual, more affordable style, including the very fine models you mention, those lenses will not have the same angle of view as they did with the film cameras for which they were designed. The main disadvantage here is your shorter zoom lens can only go down to 35mm, so that would leave you with no wide angle.

Adam's suggestion is a good one- new is nearly always better, especially the K-70 for all you get for the price. If you go for used, the main consideration is how much it was used. Both the K-5 IIs and K-3 or K-3 II are exceptionally well-built and rugged with more on-body controls instead of through menu- in other words, a pro-style design. Perhaps you could find a deal with a short-zoom kit lens included, like 18-55mm to fill in your wide angle, and maybe even be the one having WR (weather resistant). Neither the cameras nor WR lenses are waterproof for being submerged or pouring substantial water directly over them, but can be used in rainy conditions.

For all normal, practical purposes, the K-3 and K-3 II are the same basic camera. The K-3 does sport a built-in flash, as does also the K-5 IIs, which you might be surprised to find yourself using while you learn, since it is instantly there without having to resort to attaching your outboard flash (if it is compatible). The K-3 II does not have one, but instead has a built-in GPS and astro-photography feature, which can be added via the hot shoe if desired in the other models.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-06-2017 at 01:32 PM.
12-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
Fantastic responses! I missed the K-3 II doesn't have a built in flash. I would rather have a built in flash. I am guessing that a outboard flash can still be attached to the K-3? I like the Pro style better for the on the body controls.

The flash in the picture will be "not in the picture for the future". I am not going to take a chance with it.

If there are any other camera suggestions to the three I have listed please let me know. Alot of that description in the comparison charts I am not familiar with yet. The more info the better. I am not in a rush to buy tell I get a better feeling of the one I want.

Thanks

---------- Post added 12-06-17 at 03:21 PM ----------

I meant to say "If there are any other camera suggestions BESIDES the three I have listed please let me know."

QuoteOriginally posted by heep70 Quote
If there are any other camera suggestions to the three I have listed please let me know. Alot of that description in the comparison charts I am not familiar with yet. The more info the better. I am not in a rush to buy tell I get a better feeling of the one I want.

Thanks
12-06-2017, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If there are any other camera suggestions to the three I have listed please let me know.
The K-S2 is a rather cool, very compact camera and can be had quite cheaply second hand.
12-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic responses! I missed the K-3 II doesn't have a built in flash. I would rather have a built in flash. I am guessing that a outboard flash can still be attached to the K-3? I like the Pro style better for the on the body controls.

The flash in the picture will be "not in the picture for the future". I am not going to take a chance with it.

Thanks

---------- Post added 12-06-17 at 03:21 PM ----------

I meant to say "If there are any other camera suggestions BESIDES the three I have listed please let me know."
the K 3 does have built in flash

Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

a new K 3 might be out of budget but there are used ones available on Amazon currently

you could check B & H, Adorama and KEH.com

and don't forget the forum's market place as a possible source as well

I like my K 3 and I just bought a new K 3 II + battery grip because B & H is offered it for $7 over the price of the K 3 II alone

that deal is still being offered as far as I know

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1358285-REG/pentax_k_3_ii_dslr_camera.html
12-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was curious, so I used a K-S2 (20MP...so your K-70 will see more of a difference at 24MP) on a (shown in this order):
35-80mm F @35mm,
18-55mm DAL kit zoom @35mm,
35mm plastic fantastic prime,
35-80mm F @80mm,
50-200mm DAL kit zoom @80mm

All were ISO 100, shot RAW, f/8 on a tripod.

Uncropped, I was actually impressed how the old 35-80mm performed.
But all posted below are CROPPED and you can see the difference.

I am a fan of the 18-55mm kit zoom, but was surprised how poorly it performed in this test. Generally with that lens, I will shoot more at the extremes (18mm and 55mm), but usually midrange I had expected it to outperform the older 35-80 F, but it doesn't.

If you don't crop and you don't make large prints, I think your current lenses will do fine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Last edited by Alex645; 12-06-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: uploaded a wrong file which changes the results
12-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have both the K-5IIS and the K-3II. They both show excellent performance in all aspects, and are well built/styled. The GPS feature is a valuable attribute, and the lack of a built in flash is easily cured with a flash head on the K-3II. Both the K-3II and K-5IIS have lcd screens on the top of their bodies to view camera settings (ISO, Shutter Speed, F Stop, and EV for example), while the K-70 does not. Though I would favor them new over the K-70, if you plan on buying a newer model at a less expensive price, the K-70 may be a good choice if you can get along without the top lcd. It also has new technology/features.

Note that all three of the bodies I mentioned plus the K-3 can have flash heads mounted on them.

Good luck in making your choice.
12-07-2017, 05:56 AM   #14

If you are willing to go the used route, you can get some very nice cameras from the forum's market place. I have been able to purchase a K-3 for less then your top budget that is in wonderful condition and fantastic to use. There are currently multiple K-3 and K-5 cameras there for sale there. One thing to remember as well, the K-5 series and K-3 Series cameras have matching battery grips as well, the k-70 does not.

Good luck,

Jim Fellows
12-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally when it was simple with film cameras they were all equal my advice was then buy the lens you want then buy yourself a camera. Now its all changed Today I bought a new s/h camera why I have 3 digital simple I wanted the 80-5100 whATEVER ISO AND i WANTED THE auto-focus in low light so I got a K-5 II. Good value too. I also got a battery grip for it after the auction. I got it because I want to do night photography with the lowest asa available and focus as my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I don't see the point of learning photography all over again only to change camera's again in the future My Pentax Ist is the best all rounder to date K-m I am getting used to it but not the P-ttl I understand it but it's not right in low light so I am hoping the k-5ii will improve that issue. In daylight the K-m is perfect. as is the isd the k10D i haven't used much as I am waiting on a 420-800mm to put on it and kit up. and the K-% will have a multi kit case setup. Its just the way I organise myself for a different target. So now it comes down to the camera functions as to which camera you buy and one other factor everyone is ignoring and that is the website factor things have changed so much in the last 15 years here is a pentax community not just a website and I like it if I want camera info I look here because I am here I chose the camera because I can review all pentax stuff here and I got one other question if a Flash can have a switch to switch from TTL to P-TTL to Auto why can't a pentax camera have a choice as well in this area am I thinking somthing terrible here at night in no light there is no way the P-TTL system can get an accurate reading of an exposure if its auto focus and aperture can't come to an agreement on exposure before the shot I think it's impossible, luck in this modern day we should be able to get a camera an shoot a professional shot every time so we have to rely on manual settings in low light for the P-ttl to get the best info available. I can see Pttl working as fill flash but nothing more than that. The difference is Professionals look for shots where there is existing lighting like at functions but what about in the pitch black of night TTl could do it P-ttl can't. and this is why I have to learn with one camera and stick with it.