Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #16

Original Poster
Yes, I have been cruising the market place here getting more info and ideas. I also have checked out the other dealers you folks have mentioned. Keep the opinions coming. I am reading them. Thank you

12-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

If your looking for the best image quality out of those 3 bodies, the K-70 is it. It's a bit better than the K-5IIs & K-3II. The K-70 is basically an updated K-5IIs, but without the "pro" build. It has the same autofocus system that the K-5IIs has, plus some other newer features.

The K-5IIs is a slightly older camera, but pretty much the camera that a lot of Pentax users measure other Pentax cameras to. The only downside is no future KAF4 support. The K-3II is the fastest performing APS-C camera & it's built like a tank. There's a supposed K-3II replacement due sometime next year which should have all the features that the K-3II has, plus improvements, but it's probably going to be pricey.
12-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
If your looking for the best image quality out of those 3 bodies, the K-70 is it. It's a bit better than the K-5IIs & K-3II. The K-70 is basically an updated K-5IIs, but without the "pro" build. It has the same autofocus system that the K-5IIs has, plus some other newer features.

The K-5IIs is a slightly older camera, but pretty much the camera that a lot of Pentax users measure other Pentax cameras to. The only downside is no future KAF4 support. The K-3II is the fastest performing APS-C camera & it's built like a tank. There's a supposed K-3II replacement due sometime next year which should have all the features that the K-3II has, plus improvements, but it's probably going to be pricey.
Some have said the K-P has a new AF system that's better than the K-3 series, or K-70... all it's lacking is a big battery and a big buffer. If better AF is the only concern it's already available.
12-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EDIT: These are processors not focusing systems sorry for the sidebar - brain glitch!

K-70 uses Prime M II
K-5iis uses Prime II
K-3 uses Prime III
KP uses Prime IV
K-1 uses Prime IV also
K-50 uses Prime M

It is hard for me to recall but I thought the Prime M was itself an update to Prime II. How Prime M II compares to Prime III or IV I am unclear on.

What the differences are - who knows.

---------- Post added 12-07-17 at 03:01 PM ----------

Focusing systems:

K-1 = SAFOX 12, 33 focus points, 25 cross type
KP, K-3, K-3ii = SAFOX 11, 27 focus points (25 cross type
K-70, K5iis = SAFOX X, 11 focus points (9 cross type)
K-50 = SAFOX IXi+, 11 focus points (9 cross type), diffraction lens, wavelength sensor

According to this the focusing systems of the K-3, K-3ii and KP are the same and superior to the K-70 or K-5iis. The K50 is actually a lower type but has a few tricks tossed in over the K-5iis... and still a lower overall number so presumably not quite as good. K1 > K-3/KP/K-3ii > K-70 > K-50

On top of this the metering ranges are different the K-70 is a 0-22 EV metering system, the KP, K-3ii etc are -3-20 EV systems. Not sure how this translates in practical terms for most of us.

Finally the metering sensor is 86,000 points on the K-3, KP, K-3ii etc. whereas the K-70 only has a 77 segment sensor.

All are purported to focus from -3 EV to 18 EV by the way.
(Accuracy will vary)

---------- Post added 12-07-17 at 03:13 PM ----------

Here's a nice side by side comparison:

Pentax KP Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews
K-3ii, KP, and K-70

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-07-2017 at 12:49 PM.
12-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think we are leaving the budget issue waaay behind here! Of course, if possible, I would say- go for the cutting-edge KP and get a very compact quality shorter WR zoom lens to go with it, like either the 18-135mm WR DC which has excellent autofocus (very compact to match the KP, and a value item for price/performance/versatility) or the elite 20-40mm WR DC Limited. I love both my K-5 IIs and my KP! My extra-light but well-made K-S2 is my casual fun camera (but can do serious stuff too). Check B&H for prices.

I did recently see on Amazon- a deal for a new K-S2 with 2 kit lenses, the DAL 18-50mm WR DC (better than the usual short zoom kit lens) and a DAL 50-200mm WR. The DAL kit lenses have plastic rather than metal lens mounts, and usually come without lens hoods. I got mine with just this same short kit lens at nearly nothing extra in a great deal in early 2016, This particular short, very compact zoom lens has especially good autofocus for a kit lens.
12-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3-ii is out of your budget, even used.

Are size and weight high on your list of priorities? If not then a used K-3 is the safest bet for a camera that is a reliable good all-rounder and something you can grow with.
12-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just checked at B&H. I don't know where you are located, but on P. 2 of their listing of Pentax DSLRs, they have the K-70 listed (black color or dark silver) with the DA 18-135 mm WR DC lens at only $846.95 including an accessory kit!! This is with free shipping at least within the US. Since the camera body is at $600 and a bargain at that price, and likewise the lens with current holiday savings is at a limited-supply $390 (usually $477), this combo deal is an outstanding value!

The K-70 is an advanced design offering many features, yet is easy to use and learn with. Since the lens offered in this deal is the DA model, not a DAL, it is indeed the same as is sold separately, and will have a dedicated lens hood and a metal lens mount. It is a very well-built lens and handles beautifully. I know, I have one. This kit has everything you need to immediately charge up the battery, format the SD card (just to be sure), and start shooting pictures. Whichever model you buy, be sure to go to the custom image menu and employ "F" for Fine Sharpening in the sharpening, at least for the "Bright" and "Natural" categories for better detail reproduction. You will find it quite easily after familiarization.

With other brands, you don't start getting into WR until the $1,000+ range in camera bodies, and also the $1,000+ range in a lens. Also check back with us regarding the exclusive, ultra-fast, ultra efficient Pentax Hyper System if you don't already know about Hyper Program, etc.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-07-2017 at 05:22 PM.
12-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Whats this KFA4 support about i have 185D lens from 1999 I assume it will work on a m-511 its a AF Asphericial LD
(if) 28-300mm tamron.Does this mean I need new lens now or next upgrade?
12-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
Whats this KFA4 support about i have 185D lens from 1999 I assume it will work on a m-511 its a AF Asphericial LD
(if) 28-300mm tamron.Does this mean I need new lens now or next upgrade?
No, the issue is lenses made in future to the newer standard not working on older bodies.
12-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KAF4 lenses have electronic aperture rather than lever operated mechanical aperture. There are only a couple lenses so far using this technology.

As said in the previous post, the cameras able to use this are not limited to it, they add this on top of their support for the older lens mount.
12-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One aspect worth considering would be a plastic camera a new one as most have seals water tight and to me even though its plastic I imagine it would be sealed well.

---------- Post added 12-09-17 at 08:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, the issue is lenses made in future to the newer standard not working on older bodies.
When or what model does the new standard kick in?

Does this mean the stick shift aperture won't work on the new models with or without the electronic support?
12-09-2017, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . There's a supposed K-3II replacement due sometime next year which should have all the features that the K-3II has, plus improvements, but it's probably going to be pricey.

and it has been anticipated being announced for a while now with no news other than

" I hope it is coming "

" surely, it is coming "

" it should be coming "

QuoteOriginally posted by heep70 Quote
. . . I am not concerned about if I buy new or used. I am trying to stay between $300 - $500 (maybe a bit more for better product) for a user friendly but yet a lot more opportunity to learn on camera body. I would like pretty durable, weather/water resistant as i am a outdoors person. . . .
I salute the OP for asking questions and doing research but with that budget range, I think we are better to advise the OP to be looking at the " experienced " equipment market, whether that is the Market Place ( based on my personal experiences - the best place ) or B &H, Adorama, KEH.Com or elsewhere for suggested equipment

I would also mentioned that a lot of photographers use camera bodies and lenses without " A W " or " W R " " Qualifications " effectively and that " A W " or " W R " does not mean water proof

so if $ is an issue, is such " qualifications " necessary on every piece of equipment?

I know nothing about the sellers but I just found a K 3, K 5 II and two K 5 camera bodies for sale in the market place within the OP's budget or close to it

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-09-2017 at 08:56 AM.
12-09-2017, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
One aspect worth considering would be a plastic camera a new one as most have seals water tight and to me even though its plastic I imagine it would be sealed well.

---------- Post added 12-09-17 at 08:39 AM ----------

When or what model does the new standard kick in?

Does this mean the stick shift aperture won't work on the new models with or without the electronic support?
WR/AW/Etc is just a bit of mental assurance. There is no standard for which they are held unlike the underwater compact cameras. There is no warranty if the WR/AW fails either. Cleaning off the seals is a good idea. Treating the camera as if it wasn't WR is a good idea. It can work and does most of the time - it can fail and has for some people. There is no way to know if you are lucky or unlucky. I wouldn't worry too much about used vs. new and plastic vs. metal. The seals seem to be well made and placed on all the cameras with the pro level bodies being the best (K-3, K-3ii, K-5, K-5ii/s, K-1) but that's mostly from past observations. The KP and K-70 are purported to have really good seals also.

As for electronic aperture - the newest lenses of that type (55-300 PLM and 18-50) have no mechanical aperture capability - without the electronic aperture feature support in the body they cannot be adjusted at all. I can't remember if this defaults open or closed. The K-5 series isn't able to control them, but the K-50, K-3 series, KS-1 & 2, K-70, KP all can. Of the bodies that I might have recommended the K-30 and K-5 series are the only ones that can't work with it that I can think of.
12-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If you should ever want to use PLM lenses like the new 55-300 you will want the K-3II or the K-70. The K-3ii offers dual sd card slots and a bit more of a pro build. There is nothing wrong with the K-70, just not quite as nice in that respect.
Last update of firmware for the K-3 added PLM support.
12-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Last update of firmware for the K-3 added PLM support.
As a Pentax lens designed for digital, the 55-300mm PLM supports in-camera image corrections and alternate program lines (such as MTF).
*This lens uses an electric focus-by-wire system and will not focus (even manually) on cameras older than the Pentax K100D super (2006).
**Because the aperture is controlled electronically, this lens can only stop down when used with compatible cameras. The Pentax K-50, K-S1, K-S2, K-3, K-3 II, and K-1 are supported via a camera firmware update; the Pentax K-70, Pentax KP and all 2017 or newer bodies will work out of the box. The aperture diaphragm will always remain wide-open on unsupported bodies.

In an nutshell, this lens fully compatible with recent DSLRs but shouldn't be used on older bodies or film cameras.

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews