Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Superimposing images with the K-30.... ever tried it?

On page 126 of the K-30 manual, it tells the steps necessary for superimposing images. I've never tried it before, but plan on giving it a whirl soon. I'm going to give astrophotography a try and think this might be very helpful. So.... if any of you have tried this superimposing feature, what's your opinion of it? It's more or less like HDR.... kinda'.

Thanks for any advice/tips/comments.

5 Days Ago   #2

Photos: Gallery
Not at all like HDR. HDR takes three (typically) pictures of the same thing one over exposed, one under exposed, and one "correctly" exposed then combines to correctly bringout all of the areas of the picture. Normally this method is used early in the morning, late in the evening or a night scene where there is some strong light on one portion of the picture and the rest is darker. Superimposing images is where you take a picture of one thing, then take a picture of another so one is imposed over the other. One of my favorite such pictures happened by mistake. I didn't realize I had this turned on and took a picture out of our front window. The previous picture had been of me and my wife standing together. The end result was a picture of our front yard with me and my wife almost looking like ghosts watching over our property.
5 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The k30d has 2 blend modes, (the same as my k5iis)

"Auto EV Adjustment" Checked - this averages the frames. Useful to mimic an ND filter, you could take 8 exposures at 1 sec each and the camera averages it to 'fake' an 8 second exposure (think moving water, etc). Could also be used to lower noise as you're averaging across frames. However, you're limited to 9 with your model and you'd probably be better off using software where you can work in a dark frame subtraction (StarStaX is an easy to use free option). Unless your camera was physically moving to track the stars (the internal astro-tracer can't line up the stars from one photo to the next), this mode would wipe out stars as they move across the frame.

"Auto EV Adjustment" Un-Checked - this sums the frames. More like the traditional multiexposure mode in a film camera. Could be used to 'break up' a long exposure. For example, take 1 seconds worth as the sun is setting to get the foreground, then superimpose an exposure for the stars. You would get pollution in the sky area from the sunset though, it would probably be much easier to combine in post where you can mask out the parts of different exposures you'd want to keep.

Either option is great for in camera multi-exposures where you want to layer images on top of each other in the 'arty' way. It's almost always easier to do this in post with software, but somehow more satisfying to do in-camera. I've mostly used it for silly self portraits (edit- to include an example for completeness/stupidity. Beware taking advice from Mr. Mushroom Brain.):

Later camera models (k3 may have been the first) include a 'Bright' blending mode, which would be useful for startrails if you wanted the convenience of doing it in-camera instead of post. They also allow up to 2000 shots. My camera also lacks 'Bright' mode so I've only done it in post for startails (many more times for fireflies)

Last edited by BrianR; 5 Days Ago at 10:23 AM.