Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #1

Pentax K3 ll

Have today taken the plunge & purchased a K3 ll with 18-55 WR lens & ScanDisc Extreme 32GB, brand new, for a steal I think £818.34 🙂. A lot of camera for such a low price.
I know it will soon be super seeded, but for the photography I do, it will keep me thrilled for some time.
I have used Pentax Q's & Q-S 1, with every Q lens for a few years, such fun cameras.
Looking forward to learning the K3, I think 😕.
Don't know how 2nd memory card works or what to get ?
I will need a quality carry case, for camera & lens ? I do have Billingham for my camera.
Also, regarding lenses, if I am to buy 2 or 3 lenses, for the work I intend to use the camera, mainly, landscapes, portrait & a little sport.
Which can fellows Pentax uses recommend?
Can't wait, camera be here 7/12/17... happy days

12-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get a second copy of the same card you already have- sandisk cards are great!

As for lenses, you will probably want to replace the 18-55mm with a higher-quality walkaround zoom at some point (i.e. the 16-85mm).

For telephoto shooting, nothing beats the value and performance of the 55-300mm PLM version (the PLM is important as it guarantees fast focusing).

Finally, add a prime such as the DA 35mm F2.4 or 50mm F1.8 for those low-light or bokeh shots.

All these lenses are reviewed here:
Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam 👍
Camera bought from Jessops.
They offer a 3 year extended warranty for around £120.
Should I be tempted ?
Simon
12-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Herestandsaman Quote
Thanks Adam 👍
Camera bought from Jessops.
They offer a 3 year extended warranty for around £120.
Should I be tempted ?
Simon
If that's for a total of 5 years of coverage, it would be a good deal. But if it's just an extra year then it's probably not worth it.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2017, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If that's for a total of 5 years of coverage, it would be a good deal. But if it's just an extra year then it's probably not worth it.
what is the warranty without the extension ?

in the US it is one year from date of purchase

also be aware that a third party warranty such as " Square Trade " will start immediately so you will have the original warranty in effect as well as the third party warranty and not a warranty which starts running after the original warranty runs out

that is what happens in the US, check to find out if the same it true in your local area

---------- Post added 12-06-17 at 16:29 ----------

Have today taken the plunge & purchased a K3 ll with 18-55 WR lens & ScanDisc Extreme 32GB, brand new, for a steal I think £818.34 🙂. A lot of camera for such a low price.

regarding memory card options

it is in the menu here is the info you will find

you can set card 1 for raw the other for jpeg

you can set it so that card 1 fills first and then fill card 2 - jpeg

or you can set it both cards cards 1 and 2 fill so you get two copies made at the same time. jpeg

be advised if you only put one card in, it will read as error but still record the image

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-06-2017 at 04:54 PM.
12-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome - price in GBP = Brit! The K-3II is a marvellous camera, and Adam's right about a replacement for the kit lens in the fullness of time. Spend the time with the kit lens learning how she works, whether you're into post-processing, pixel shift, Astrotracer! The PLM55-300 works really well on the K-3II. I chose the 20-40 Limited as my walk-around for its all-around quality of construction and image rendering, but your choice will be influenced by what standard range you'd be happy with. Or you might go primes; plenty of prime-heads here! 😜

Last edited by microlight; 12-07-2017 at 01:11 AM.
12-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
in the US it is one year from date of purchase
1 year in the US (if you paid with a credit card with warranty extension as a benefit, you could have 2 years of coverage without even knowing it)
1 year in AU/NZ
2 years in Canada, the EU, and UK

Adam

12-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW I use an Op/Tech D-midsize neoprene 'ever-ready' cover; it fits snugly regardless of whether I've got the 10-17, 20-40 or PLM55-300 (in retracted position) on.
12-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I also have a K-3II. It is a very nice camera. I would also recommend a Pentax 16-85 if you plan on some more performance. I once had a Pentax 18-55 AL II and ended up getting a Pentax 16-85 to have the wider (16) and longer (85) advantages. The 18-55 took very nice images and the 16-85 is a high performance lens.
12-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I concur with C_Jones, get the DA 16-85 WR lens, I am confident that you will like it as much I do; it is perfect match for the k-3 or k-3II. I also have the DA 20-40 Ltd which you may consider too. My traveling kit is comprised of these two lenses and a small 360 FGZ II flash.
12-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. If you should get the DA 16-85mm WR DC (a good idea), you might want to keep the smaller lens for casual use when you may want lighter carrying. Since there's no built-in flash, you might also consider the very pocketable Pentax AF 201 FG, which is weather-resistant, has more power than a built-in flash, and can even tilt for a bounce shot. It is also reasonably priced.
12-08-2017, 12:49 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone 👏
16-85 seems to get the vote
The Limited lenses are well liked, looks like I have some homework !
The 2nd sd card, will need to be the Pentax Flu 16gb card
Thanks for the advice on a flash also 👍
Simon
12-08-2017, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know it will soon be super seeded, but for the photography I do, it will keep me thrilled for some time.
I have used Pentax Q's & Q-S 1, with every Q lens for a few years, such fun cameras.
I will need a quality carry case, for camera & lens ? I do have Billingham for my camera.
Also, regarding lenses, if I am to buy 2 or 3 lenses, for the work I intend to use the camera, mainly, landscapes, portrait & a little sport.
Which can fellows Pentax uses recommend?
Can't wait, camera be here 7/12/17... happy days
Keep 18-55 and see if you need a faster zoom, larger focal lengths or sharper zoom.
For landscape = Pentax DA15 / 4 (light weights) or Samyang has manual focus 14 / 2.8 and 16/2 or maybe a zoom.
For portraits = Pentax FA43 / 1.9, DA551.4, DA70 / 2.4, FA77 / 1.8 or Samyang 85 / 1.4 (manual focus).
A tripod.
For sports, I do not know, maybe Pentax DA55-300, Tamron / Sigma 70-200 / 2.8, Pentax DFA150-450.
12-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

@the OP
Had you bought the body only and SD card from SRS in Watford for £768,99 (as here, Pentax K-3 II Camera Body) you would have got a 2yr warrantee, as standard from a UK Pentax Pro dealer, and still had about £50 to put towards the lens of your choice - be-it the 16-85 Pentax, or, as I have recently done, an early s/h Sigma 17-70 (also a great lens!) for about £70!.
12-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #15

Photos: Gallery
The 2nd sd card, will need to be the Pentax Flu 16gb card
I’d only consider the Flu card for its remote features, it’s a bit pricey for just another 16GB of storage.