Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I'm not sure how that could really be with digital cameras, the technology advances and tends to make them obsolete after a few years. Although I'm still using (and buying) film cameras that are older than me (>60 years), I don't see why I would be regularly using a digital camera that is even 10 years old (or a computer that old).
Generally speaking, yes digital = disposable, but my daughter has been using a 12 year old Nikon D200 since around 2008, and although it doesn't have video and is only 10MP, for 95% of her uses, she doesn't need anything over ISO 800 and (knock on wood) it's been incredibly reliable. I'd put the 7 year old 16MP K-5 in that category of great cameras that will really get the job done for at least 10 years.

Camera bells and whistles are impressive, but I still see that the biggest factor is the photographer, and then after that, the lens.

12-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Generally speaking, yes digital = disposable, but my daughter has been using a 12 year old Nikon D200 since around 2008, and although it doesn't have video and is only 10MP, for 95% of her uses, she doesn't need anything over ISO 800 and (knock on wood) it's been incredibly reliable. I'd put the 7 year old 16MP K-5 in that category of great cameras that will really get the job done for at least 10 years.

Camera bells and whistles are impressive, but I still see that the biggest factor is the photographer, and then after that, the lens.
Good points. I still use our little Panasonic TZ-5 travel zoom, it is only 8 MP but I can carry it anywhere in my pocket (actually in a little case on my belt) and the pictures for family events are just fine. And, if my K-50 cooperated, I'd still be using it for a few more years and would not have made this post!
02-03-2018, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
Just wanted to mention that I've been using my new K-70 and the 18-135 zoom for a few weeks now and I'm really happy with my purchase. I'm very pleased with the handling, compact size, image quality and features of the camera, and the lens is a definite improvement over my 18-55 kit zoom from the K50. Thanks again to everyone for the help in making my decision.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
02-04-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went through the same dilemma on trying to decide between the K70 and the KP almost a year ago and decided with K70 and adding the 18-135 lens later.
So far the K70 has worked very well for me in a wide range of conditions with the exception of one issue. It seems the K70 didn't like my Tamron 18-200 Zoom. I just couldn't get a sharp focus with Tamron lens despite major efforts to do so, having the lens work and focus fine on my K100D, K500 and a friend's K20 and having no focusing problems with my other Pentax & Sigma lenses.

02-04-2018, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
It seems the K70 didn't like my Tamron 18-200 Zoom. I just couldn't get a sharp focus with Tamron lens despite major efforts to do so, having the lens work and focus fine on my K100D, K500 and a friend's K20 and having no focusing problems with my other Pentax & Sigma lenses.
I donʻt think itʻs a focusing problem; you are seeing the resolution limit of the lens. With the 24MP of the K-70, you are seeing the lower resolving power of the Tammy 18-200mm that would not be seen in a 6-16MP sensor. Itʻs one of the downsides of upgrading. If you upgrade your sensor, you often need to upgrade your optics. Because of this, I have found 16MP is sort of the sweet spot for many lenses.....not the best, but rather the most forgiving.