Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I'm not sure how that could really be with digital cameras, the technology advances and tends to make them obsolete after a few years. Although I'm still using (and buying) film cameras that are older than me (>60 years), I don't see why I would be regularly using a digital camera that is even 10 years old (or a computer that old).
Generally speaking, yes digital = disposable, but my daughter has been using a 12 year old Nikon D200 since around 2008, and although it doesn't have video and is only 10MP, for 95% of her uses, she doesn't need anything over ISO 800 and (knock on wood) it's been incredibly reliable. I'd put the 7 year old 16MP K-5 in that category of great cameras that will really get the job done for at least 10 years.

Camera bells and whistles are impressive, but I still see that the biggest factor is the photographer, and then after that, the lens.

12-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Generally speaking, yes digital = disposable, but my daughter has been using a 12 year old Nikon D200 since around 2008, and although it doesn't have video and is only 10MP, for 95% of her uses, she doesn't need anything over ISO 800 and (knock on wood) it's been incredibly reliable. I'd put the 7 year old 16MP K-5 in that category of great cameras that will really get the job done for at least 10 years.

Camera bells and whistles are impressive, but I still see that the biggest factor is the photographer, and then after that, the lens.
Good points. I still use our little Panasonic TZ-5 travel zoom, it is only 8 MP but I can carry it anywhere in my pocket (actually in a little case on my belt) and the pictures for family events are just fine. And, if my K-50 cooperated, I'd still be using it for a few more years and would not have made this post!
02-03-2018, 08:30 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just wanted to mention that I've been using my new K-70 and the 18-135 zoom for a few weeks now and I'm really happy with my purchase. I'm very pleased with the handling, compact size, image quality and features of the camera, and the lens is a definite improvement over my 18-55 kit zoom from the K50. Thanks again to everyone for the help in making my decision.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
02-04-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went through the same dilemma on trying to decide between the K70 and the KP almost a year ago and decided with K70 and adding the 18-135 lens later.
So far the K70 has worked very well for me in a wide range of conditions with the exception of one issue. It seems the K70 didn't like my Tamron 18-200 Zoom. I just couldn't get a sharp focus with Tamron lens despite major efforts to do so, having the lens work and focus fine on my K100D, K500 and a friend's K20 and having no focusing problems with my other Pentax & Sigma lenses.

02-04-2018, 09:43 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
It seems the K70 didn't like my Tamron 18-200 Zoom. I just couldn't get a sharp focus with Tamron lens despite major efforts to do so, having the lens work and focus fine on my K100D, K500 and a friend's K20 and having no focusing problems with my other Pentax & Sigma lenses.
I donʻt think itʻs a focusing problem; you are seeing the resolution limit of the lens. With the 24MP of the K-70, you are seeing the lower resolving power of the Tammy 18-200mm that would not be seen in a 6-16MP sensor. Itʻs one of the downsides of upgrading. If you upgrade your sensor, you often need to upgrade your optics. Because of this, I have found 16MP is sort of the sweet spot for many lenses.....not the best, but rather the most forgiving.
10-31-2019, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Something I have considered- saving a few dollars on the getting the higher end body and using the $ towards a trip (even a road trip) to really use the equip.

Even with that said, if I had to choose between the two, ugh... I would have a hard time splitting the hairs between the two models.
11-01-2019, 01:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

A bit late to the party, but anyway ... I've just this week "upgraded" from my K-70 to a KP ... so far mostly a good experience!

The autofocus algorithms in the KP seem to be "more intelligent", rather less hunting if the subject isn't close to focus when first framed, but against that the KP takes a noticeably longer time to "wake up" after the shutter button is initially pressed.
The extra few stops of low-light capability may be interesting when the occasion allows, so far it looks just a little bit too grainy to be much more than a novelty.
Battery life seems also noticeably shorter on the KP. This may be down to me spending a lot of time fiddling with menus getting the settings "just right", or maybe the batteries need an extra couple of charges to come up to full capacity. Fortunately I've got spares, so not an issue.
I rather like having the extra programmable Fx buttons. I'll make good use of them once I decide exactly what I want to use which one for
I find the need to "unlock" the Mode Dial with the little central button to be inconvenient. The need to remove the camera from the eye to change from one user-defined setting to another is counter-productive. Being able to switch settings with my shutter-button finger whilst continuing to track my subject in the viewfinder was a feature I'd got rather used to with the K70 ... I need to practice more with the AF Mode button on the lens throat, it's a little "out of the way" when supporting a long telephoto two-handed.

Nevertheless, initial results are positive ... I rather wish I'd bypassed the K70 and bought the KP initially!

YMMV

11-01-2019, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Just wanted to mention that I've been using my new K-70 and the 18-135 zoom for a few weeks now and I'm really happy with my purchase. I'm very pleased with the handling, compact size, image quality and features of the camera, and the lens is a definite improvement over my 18-55 kit zoom from the K50. Thanks again to everyone for the help in making my decision.
Great to learn of your happiness with your K-70 and DA 18-135mm lens. The deals offered for that combo are amazing for what you get. Seeing at a glance the older Pentax film equipment you are used to, PZ-1p, MZ-S, etc. your new camera and lens have to be very capable for you to be satisfied, which they indeed are. Your very fine capture you present here says it all!

---------- Post added 11-01-19 at 12:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
A bit late to the party, but anyway ... I've just this week "upgraded" from my K-70 to a KP ... so far mostly a good experience!

The autofocus algorithms in the KP seem to be "more intelligent", rather less hunting if the subject isn't close to focus when first framed, but against that the KP takes a noticeably longer time to "wake up" after the shutter button is initially pressed.
The extra few stops of low-light capability may be interesting when the occasion allows, so far it looks just a little bit too grainy to be much more than a novelty.
Battery life seems also noticeably shorter on the KP. This may be down to me spending a lot of time fiddling with menus getting the settings "just right", or maybe the batteries need an extra couple of charges to come up to full capacity. Fortunately I've got spares, so not an issue.
I rather like having the extra programmable Fx buttons. I'll make good use of them once I decide exactly what I want to use which one for
I find the need to "unlock" the Mode Dial with the little central button to be inconvenient. The need to remove the camera from the eye to change from one user-defined setting to another is counter-productive. Being able to switch settings with my shutter-button finger whilst continuing to track my subject in the viewfinder was a feature I'd got rather used to with the K70 ... I need to practice more with the AF Mode button on the lens throat, it's a little "out of the way" when supporting a long telephoto two-handed.

Nevertheless, initial results are positive ... I rather wish I'd bypassed the K70 and bought the KP initially!

YMMV
I too have both designs, in my case I bought the K-S2 new with the tiny 18-50mm DC kit lens in a fantastic deal after the arrival of the K-70 ($408 USD w/ free shipping), even though already having the DA 18-135mm and my beloved K-5 IIs. The K-S2 is a very similar design to the K-70. I gave away my previous super-compact model, the K-r along with the 18-55mm II kit lens to friends. The KS2 is so small and light, with this kit lens I can put it in a large jacket pocket- that is, a very capable 20mp DSLR having dual control wheels, a bright glass pentaprism 100% VF, an articulating screen, etc. with a zoom lens on it- in a pocket!

As you say, each design has its merits. Now having the KP also, it has become my most used body. For times when I don't want to be interrupted by battery-changing, or for general handling of large lenses, I also acquired the battery grip. I am delighted with this camera. But I still value the K-S2 for its special features, and also my still excellent K-5 IIs for its marvelous on-body control set, making for super-fast adjustment capability. I use what best suits my present needs.

From my experience, anyone with either a K-70 or a KP and the compact DA 18-135mm lens will be a happy camper for both quality and versatility.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-01-2019 at 12:26 PM.
11-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #24
Pentaxian

"Left side" comment only:

Be very careful regarding on which body you base your comments - from a reasonably rigourous back-to-back comparsion of using my decade-old gen 1 Sigma 17-70 lens (that lens is "sharp" - a bargain for £60 a couple of years ago, as was the K-70 for "rather more" from SRS last January ) on the K-30 & K-3 II bodies, the images from the 24 Mp K-3 II were sharper than those from the 16 Mp K-30 . That's why I then bought the 24Mp K-70 to "replace" the K-30 for general photography.

PS:hope I got the "Mp" numbers correct - it's late and I've had a "drink or two"! - but I think the "evidence" is relevant nevertheless.

Last edited by jeallen01; 11-01-2019 at 03:46 PM.
11-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
the images from the 24 Mp K-3 II were sharper than those from the 16 Mp K-30
I would expect the 24 MP K-3II to have better resolution but sharpness may be more of a focus issue. Have you fine tuned the focus adjustment on both bodies? Of course, if you are shooting JPEG images, the internal processing may be applying sharpening too.
11-01-2019, 08:21 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a recent shot I took with my K-70 and the 18-135 zoom. ISO 200, 1/200s at F7.1. This is my orchid, which has bloomed each year for several years. This year I got two flower spikes, with blooms from April to October. And even better, a third flower spike just started on it, so I'll have blooms for the holidays as well.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
11-01-2019, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is wonderful! Very fine image quality. I have informed many people considering the DA 18-135mm lens as their main or only lens, that it is even capable of good closeups. Certainly one of the most overall capable and versatile zoom lenses I have come across.
11-02-2019, 01:33 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I would expect the 24 MP K-3II to have better resolution but sharpness may be more of a focus issue. Have you fine tuned the focus adjustment on both bodies? Of course, if you are shooting JPEG images, the internal processing may be applying sharpening too.
I did back-to-back tests in the garden with both bodies on a sturdy tripod using the Live-view front-focus/back-focus adjustment method and focusing on a sloped 1m steel rule around 12m/40 ft away.

The back/front focus adjustments tests were repeated several times on each body, and the gradations on the the rule were noticeably and consistently sharper on the K-3 II than they were on the K-30 - so I think the results were both clear and conclusive.

I was also extremely pleased with the Sigma lens itself - for £60 or so, it proved then, as it has since many times, that it is a very sharp and contrasty lens that has since become my walkaround lens of choice, and was why I then sold my reasonably good 18-135 Pentax.

PS: the Sigma also has closer and better "semi-macro" performance than the 18-135.

Last edited by jeallen01; 11-02-2019 at 01:50 AM.
11-02-2019, 05:29 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I did back-to-back tests in the garden with both bodies on a sturdy tripod using the Live-view front-focus/back-focus adjustment method and focusing on a sloped 1m steel rule around 12m/40 ft away.
It sounds like you took care of any focusing differences. Based on that, it certainly appears the sharpness is related to the sensor and image processing differences between the cameras. However, I'm still curious if you are looking at JPEG or RAW output?