Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2017, 05:55 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't want to push the Canon 7D as superior in any particular way to various newer Pentax bodies, but the Canon 7D + second version of the Tamron 150-600mm is the most satisfactory long tele combination I've owned. My old Tamron 400mm f4 on either my K3 or K1 gives excellent results, even when used with an old 1.4XL TC, but it is far less than convenient compared to the lightning quick and accurate AF that the C + T provides. I'd rate IQ of the two alternatives comparable, although pixel-peeping on test shots would probably indicate one or the other was better.

12-11-2017, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I don't want to push the Canon 7D as superior in any particular way to various newer Pentax bodies, but the Canon 7D + second version of the Tamron 150-600mm is the most satisfactory long tele combination I've owned. My old Tamron 400mm f4 on either my K3 or K1 gives excellent results, even when used with an old 1.4XL TC, but it is far less than convenient compared to the lightning quick and accurate AF that the C + T provides. I'd rate IQ of the two alternatives comparable, although pixel-peeping on test shots would probably indicate one or the other was better.
I had K-3 II and I know it's not a speed demon in terms of af even with the new 150-450mm lens. Yes, 7D is a little more responsive than K-3 II to lock focus, but in low light K-3 II locked focus more accurate than 7D. The new Tamron 150-600mm lens is quite good. You made a nice choice to buy this lens. I like it better than Sigma 150-600mm Sport version. The noise from K-3 II in the range 800-3200 ISO looked better to me than the one from 7D. And the details also seemed more present on the Pentax images.

But these are only impressions. Renting the 7D may be the best choice for the OP to see if it cover his needs. Just my personal opinion is that an 80D with a 300mm f4 or a 400mm f5.6 it will be a much smart/safe investment for wildlife than 7D.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 12-11-2017 at 01:22 PM.
12-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I had K-3 II and I know it's not a speed demon in terms of af even with the new 150-450mm lens. Yes, 7D is a little more responsive than K-3 II to lock focus, but in low light K-3 II locked focus more accurate than 7D. The new Tamron 150-600mm lens is quite good. You made a nice choice to buy this lens. I like it better than Sigma 150-600mm Sport version. The noise from K-3 II in the range 800-3200 ISO looked better to me than the one from 7D. And the details also seemed more present on the Pentax images.

But these are only impressions. Renting the 7D may be the best choice for the OP to see if it cover his needs. Just my personal opinion is that an 80D with a 300mm f4 or a 400mm f5.6 it will be a much smart/safe investment for wildlife than 7D.
Thanks for the help. I think I've heard enough that I'll be looking for a used K3 or k3ii. It's nice to hear that the older Cannon doesn't blow the newer Pentaxes away regarding AF. I was tempted to try Canon out for AF, but having a second Pentax body will be more convenient being able to share all the lenses. I am officially talked down. Thanks!
12-11-2017, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the best alternative body option for a K-1 owner would be the KP. My most impressive compact body ever, for sure. Price has drifted down lately, I see.

12-11-2017, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
Thanks for the help. I think I've heard enough that I'll be looking for a used K3 or k3ii. It's nice to hear that the older Cannon doesn't blow the newer Pentaxes away regarding AF. I was tempted to try Canon out for AF, but having a second Pentax body will be more convenient being able to share all the lenses. I am officially talked down. Thanks!
no endorsement of any particular seller but I personally feel that I have had good experiences in my dealings with forum members selling " experienced " equipment in the Market Place - " Buy/Sell "

there appears to be several K 3 and K 3 II cameras currently listed there

good luck
12-11-2017, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you go for a crop Pentax body, all of your full frame glass will work on it too.
Remember also that the DA*300 works wonderfully on the K-1.

Win/win.
12-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I think the best alternative body option for a K-1 owner would be the KP. My most impressive compact body ever, for sure. Price has drifted down lately, I see.
I am a little torn between the KP and the K3(ii). I'd be using it with long lenses and not sure how it would handle.

12-12-2017, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
I am a little torn between the KP and the K3(ii). I'd be using it with long lenses and not sure how it would handle.
The reviews I've read suggest the grip isn't as good for large lenses on the KP, but it isn't terrible for that purpose. This is where renting it or handling at a brick and mortar store would help.