Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Next big Pentax project?

For a long time the full frame camera was the "big" project for Pentax, the big next step that everyone was waiting for. Now the FF is out and its great, Pentax is competing with the best FF cameras out there. And Pentax released a super telephoto zoom, a top notch UWA zoom, a top notch FF telephoto zoom, and has announced a top level DFA* 50mm and 85mm. The lineup holes seem to be getting filled at a fast pace, with high quality lenses. What do you think is next for Pentax? Do we finally have everything we could ask for?

Should Pentax try to compete against mirrorless cameras again? Or against top level video DSLRs? Improved raw format (compression, depth, PS and other features)? What is left, and why go there? What next step would make you spend more money on Pentax?

12-12-2017, 07:24 AM - 7 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

A good 20mm ƒ4 landscape lens is the only thing that would get my money right now.
12-12-2017, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next "Big Project" ? ... just get us a K3 successor that will rock, sort of a mix of the K1 and the K3/KP with great AF quality ... that should make Ricoh/Pentax users happy.
Why bother chasing after makers of mirrorless products?
12-12-2017, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting concept!

Pentax already competes with mirrorless. Every day there are camera buyers considering both systems and looking at the merits and demerits of both systems. And we have people on these forums who have switch from mirrorless to Pentax or who use both types of systems for their respective advantages. Pentax does not need to go mirrorless to compete with mirrorless. That said, a hybrid OVF/EVF would be an amazing best-of-both worlds innovation.

Video: extremely unlikely. The existing competitors have far too much accumulated R&D and video-specific technology assets. Replicating what Canon or Sony knows about video cameras and video workflows would be extremely expensive.

Where to go?

First, there's lots more that can be done with IBIS in terms of enabling combinations of modes (e.g., astrotracer + PS would be killer!), improving total stabilization, adding higher resolution PS modes, or creating an API so the user could drive the IBIS system on a custom-drawn path.

Second, they could take the 645 system to the next level with higher resolution crop-MF or full-MF sensors and add IBIS (w/ PS) to 645.

12-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Should Pentax try to compete against mirrorless cameras again?
no so much. if I want mirrorless I'd also need other lenses, I can buy that without needing to wait for Pentax.

What next step would make you spend more money on Pentax?
K3 update with UHSII SD card(s) and top notch AF. If that doesn't happen, I'll have to sell my DFA150450 and get a 200-500 or 500 f4 so I might end up selling all of the k mount system.
12-12-2017, 07:44 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

It's a Ricoh project, but their space camera looks like the next awesome thing: Ricoh to showcase at SpaceCom 2017 | Global | Ricoh

Their "To Do" list is pretty full, so don't expect new lens announcements anytime soon:

1) Robot housing to mount the camera on.
2) Giant slingshots to get them into space for testing.
3) Parachutes to help re-entry? Some sort of heat resistant capsule? Nah, they're robots, we can build more.
4) Robot-proof bunkers to hide from robot-revolution caused by poor working conditions - no space recovery plan. Also no dental plan (it's an equal rights thing).
5) Even better robot-proof bunkers when the space-robots return in a hyper-evolved state wielding black hole cannons.
12-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #7

k3iii, af system that actually competes with other manufacturers + lens line up with plm drive.

12-12-2017, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know if they need any big projects. Just keep filling up the holes still left in the current "projects", as has already been mentioned above.
- A small-ish ultra wide angle prime for 35mm is missing, a "DA15 for FF" if you like. The DFA20/4 that Norm requests would be very hard to resist.
- A DFA200/4 WR Macro would be great.
- A full sized 645 might be a good idea, although it wouldn't be for me.

Other than that I can only think of incremental improvements:
- Keep the APS-C line alive with a new flagship model (my K-3 has lots of life left still, though)
- Eventually a successor to the K-1 (and 645Z)
- Keep the lenses coming, whichever they may be
- Some updated TCs could be nice
- Also time for a new GR, I think

...so lots of things to do without introducing any "Next Big Project"
12-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess is 645 full frame. I doubt I'll be able to afford one but it might drive the 645Z price low enough for me.

K-3 replacement is surely coming too but it may be a more incremental improvement than a really big breakthrough.
12-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

What is left, and why go there?
Pentax has the goods on the DSLR side of the equation. We can perhaps expect a hight spec K1, K3 or 645 with some lenses. However, given what it takes in R&D money, I do not see Pentax going to mirrorless given the dominance of Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji. It would be a total waste of R&D funds to even try mirrorless.

So this leaves us with a DSLR system. My questions is whether high spec. video can be improved enough to stop people from going to "the other side" to add that functionality.

I love my K1 and the lenses I have. For commercial studio, portraits and landscape work, it is a beast. However, I shot a wedding recently with the K1 and the K5IIs. Outdoor stuff is to die for but when we got to the church and the hall, I realized that the flash system is lacking big time. So I don't know. I am torn. Just barely ok focus system, lacking flash system. What is left?
12-12-2017, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh was able to source some 10MP CCD sensors and are currently working on a K10D Commemorative Edition.
12-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In 2007-2008 years 14 (I think) DA lenses were released, 13 of them new designs. Four were DA* lenses, of which three were zooms. If we had a similar release schedule over the next 24 months for D FA lenses, most of which were high quality f/4 or variable consumer zooms and f/2 - f/4 consumer primes, would that count as the ‘Next Big Project’?
12-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Ricoh was able to source some 10MP CCD sensors and are currently working on a K10D Commemorative Edition.
If they got some 36x24, 6MP CCD sensors they could finally ship the MZ-D ... :-)
12-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The way you phrase this, is it a wish, or are they doing this?
12-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In 2007-2008 years 14 (I think) DA lenses were released, 13 of them new designs. Four were DA* lenses, of which three were zooms. If we had a similar release schedule over the next 24 months for D FA lenses, most of which were high quality f/4 or variable consumer zooms and f/2 - f/4 consumer primes, would that count as the ‘Next Big Project’?
There is an f/2.8 DA* zoom and two f/1.4 D-FA* primes due out shortly, which sounds like a great start on that.

---------- Post added 12-12-17 at 10:55 AM ----------

A GR-esque fixed lens compact with a FF sensor and an HD D-FA RE variant of the 31/1.8 Limited would be very interesting.