Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #1

Action Photos w/ K200D

I tried to take a bunch of photos of my friend tossing a football. I just seem to struggle to use the camera. Not even one picture was completely in focus. The time was around dusk and was taken in "Action" mode.

What do I need to do to get better pictures, especially action shots.

Here is a link of the pictures.

Action Shot - a set on Flickr

Thanks

08-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
McD

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By looking at your pictures it seems that you were using way to slow of a shutter speed. The word dusk and action don't go together at all. There isnt enough available light to be able to use a fast shutter speed. The only way to shoot action at dusk would be to use an external flash. Try taking the same pictures in the day with a shutter speed faster then 1/250th of a second. Make sure your nailing your focus as well.
08-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree bump the ISO (start at 800 and increase from there as necessary) as well this will help with low light and faster shutter speeds.
08-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #4

1-You'll need a faster lens.

2-You'll also need waaaay more light. One of the hardest things I had to understand when I first started this hobby is "just because YOU see everything okay does NOT mean the CAMERA will".

08-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can't shoot on presets with that light, even in better light you'll need at least Tv or the Sv setting, the sport preset is only good for very bright days/stadiums and usually at an object coming at or moving away from you unless you pan and do some multiple frames.

All that said someone will get that "good" shot now LOL
08-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Although the K200D is quite the advanced camera, you are still fighting the laws of physics when you try to shoot action at dusk. And as always, the laws of physics will win

Pick up a good book on photography. I learned alot from Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". Get out of the silly "Scene" modes and learn to use Av and/or Manual mode.

To repeat what folks said, to get decent action shots in that kind of light, you need a lens that lets in alot of light (f/2.8 or faster) and bump the ISO up to get your shutter speeds fast enough.

This morning I was shooting deer (not quite action), and I had a 400mm f/5.6 lens and I still could only get 1/60s @ISO3200, so you were really fighting an uphill battle trying to shoot a football game at dusk using the "Action" mode with a slow lens.
08-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I will keep this in mind. I am stillnot confident to move to manual modes. I am going to take more effort to do it.

Thanks again