Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2017, 04:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lens not connecting properly to camera

I have a Pentax K-5II and I am having a problem when I attach my Pentax smc f/1.7 50mm lens to the camera.

I cannot auto focus or adjust the aperture. Is there a faulty connection? I donít have a problem with any of my other lenses.

12-14-2017, 04:48 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest first to check the lens contacts, If all other lenses work on your K5ii, the issue must come from your FA50mm f1.7.

Maybe a bit more info could help: is the lens loose or hard to lock? Have you an opportunity to mount the F50mm f1.7 on another Pentax dSLR?

My 5 cents... since I do not have either a K-5/K-5ii or F50mm f1.7.
12-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This will happen when the contacts on the camera and/or lens get dirty. Clean them with a pencil eraser, or what I do is use a q-tip with a bit of isopropyl alcohol.
I’ve had this happen often with lenses I buy from e-bay.
12-14-2017, 05:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I would suggest first to check the lens contacts, If all other lenses work on your K5ii, the issue must come from your FA50mm f1.7.

Maybe a bit more info could help: is the lens loose or hard to lock? Have you an opportunity to mount the F50mm f1.7 on another Pentax dSLR?

My 5 cents... since I do not have either a K-5/K-5ii or F50mm f1.7.
I've wiped the contacts on the lens with a dry cloth, but that does not seem to help.

The lens is rather stiff to mount, more so than it used to be when I used it successfully in the past.

Unfortunately I don't have another DSLR to test it on.

12-14-2017, 05:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you double checked that the aperture ring is fully locked into A-position?
12-14-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Have you double checked that the aperture ring is fully locked into A-position?
Yes, that was one of the first things I checked.
12-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Unmount the lens and look at the contacts while moving the ring in and out of the "A" position. The "A" pin should extend or retract ever so slightly. If it doesn't, cleaning, adjustment or replacement is needed.

Has the lens been dropped, perhaps by a family member and you were not told? A bent flange could explain why it seems more snug and malfunctioning.
12-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Any signs of physical damage to the mount?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Unmount the lens and look at the contacts while moving the ring in and out of the "A" position. The "A" pin should extend or retract ever so slightly. If it doesn't, cleaning, adjustment or replacement is needed.

Has the lens been dropped, perhaps by a family member and you were not told? A bent flange could explain why it seems more snug and malfunctioning.

Iím not sure which is the ďAĒ pin, but I did do as you suggested and I donít notice any of the pins moving at all.

Iím not aware if the lens been dropped and it appears to be fine, with no signs of damage.

12-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
I’m not sure which is the “A” pin, but I did do as you suggested and I don’t notice any of the pins moving at all.

I’m not aware if the lens been dropped and it appears to be fine, with no signs of damage.
The "A" pin is second from the right in your photo. Depending on lens, it may or may not physically retract when the aperture ring is moved off the "A" setting.

The diagram below is for the KA mount. The KAF scheme on your lens adds an additional contact at far left (position 7)

(I used the KA diagram for clarity since it shows all the contact positions.)

It may just be lighting, but the contact at position 1 on your lens does not look right. Did this lens work properly for you in the past or is it a new acquisition?

Steve
12-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Right, I forgot. The later 7 pin mounts may not retract the pin. You'll have to check for continuity with a continuity checker or Multimeter.
12-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It almost looks like there is debris in pin 1.