Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the k20d, she can use catch-in-focus mode with any lens that has an AF/MF switch on it, or any manual focus lens with any AF Pentax SLR, digital or film. I would use this mode myself rather than trying bursts, simply because it uses fewer images and therefor means less time on the computer afterward.

Using this method in motocross, it would be simple to focus the camera on the top of a bump, for example, and simply follow the motorcycle with the shutter button fully depressed. The camera would then take the picture as soon as it detects focus. This results in a great number of in focus images.

This is about the only reason I would upgrade to the k20d - I would be able to use catch-in-focus with my DA* 50-135. I find my k10d has more than enough resolution and flexibility, and only this one little point bugs me.

09-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I like the focus trap function, but on fast moving objects there is a risk that you end up with no pictures at all.
09-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Canada Rockies: Using this method in motocross, it would be simple to focus the camera on the top of a bump, for example, and simply follow the motorcycle with the shutter button fully depressed. The camera would then take the picture as soon as it detects focus. This results in a great number of in focus images.
Yes, this is a great idea. You know, I have not even tried this "trap in focus" yet with my K20, but I have to try it. Thanks, you have given me even more help which, in turn, I can now bring to Paula.
09-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Kunik

I must say you really have gone the extra mile to help us out here. These instructions are excellent: they are detailed and precise. I actually feel I could implement what you have given me here and have some success shooting motorcycles.

I can't thank you enough. I will save your response to hard disk!

And my thanks go out again, to everybody, for all of the help given out so graciously here.

09-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the others that just about any dSLR out there can take the shots she wants. As for the lens, I'd recommend the longer the better, either the 18-250 (a great all around lens) or the new 55-300 (she'll still need the kit lens for everyday use). She won't need low light capabilities, and she shouldn't need lighting-fast AF, especially if she learns to pre-focus and pan.

However, please explain to her (again and again) that the camera won't take the picture for her. There are some great tips and examples posted here, and they're pretty easy to implement. If she spends just a little time and practices, she'll get some great shots that will give her and her son much enjoyment.

One way to practice is to go to a road or highway and practice taking shots of cars. This way she can try the pre-focus method, and get her panning technique down. It shouldn't take her more than once or twice to get to where she can get some nice shots.

Finally, I wouldn't "sell" her on any brand, especially because any brand will work. If she's leaning one way or another, just let her go with what she wants and then help her learn to use what she's got. That's the key, to learn the equipment. Too many people expect that because it's an expensive camera, it should do all the work. That's just not the case, as I'm sure you know. Of course, if she's leaning towards Pentax, then all the better.