12-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote

The KP should either have:
  1. Kept the 2nd SD card slot;
  2. Had a deeper buffer;
  3. Retained the larger battery; and/or
  4. Done all of the above.

Even if it had just one of the above I am pretty sure it would have sold better with the Pentax faithful.

Howie Be
Having any/some/all of these on the list above would deffo justify the high price tag of the KP

12-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I find it curious when some folks have a "need" to "joke" like this, constantly, at the expense of a certain community.
Isn't it like anything else on the internet - ignore it and it'll go away?
12-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's what could be considered a counterpoint, by the estimable Mike Johnston:

QuoteQuote:
Of those, the Pentax KP is the camera of greatest note, and the one that is sliding undetected under most peoples' radar. On paper it's not the most feature-laden, and it has taken some hits for not being bestest and mostest in certain areas, meaning, it lacks the check-boxes that tend to reassure fastidious but insecure shoppers. On the other hand, it's the K-1 lite, and our readers love the K-1; it's geared toward amateurs and enthusiasts who shoot in a more of an art-photographer manner rather than a pro-photographer manner; and it steps neatly into Pentax's longstanding tradition of having about the best and most sensible handling and control layouts. And as you can see from the picture, it's weatherproof, too. The 20–40mm seen in the illustration would be a splendid little lens for it, and it would be particularly sweet with the small primes Pentax is known for, such as the wonderful 35mm Macro that is still one of my favorites among the digital lenses I've used. (Although I used it as a normal, not as a macro.) It's true that it doesn't offer every little thing the competition offers, but it's a distinctive camera that offers things the competition doesn't, too. My advice on this one: don't let yourself be put off by the off-putting bits of the reviews. For the right photographer this could be much the right camera.
The Online Photographer
12-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Here's what could be considered a counterpoint, by the estimable Mike Johnston:

The Online Photographer
I wonder what he meant by this:

"it's geared toward amateurs and enthusiasts who shoot in a more of an art-photographer manner rather than a pro-photographer manner; and it steps neatly into Pentax's
longstanding tradition of having about the best and most sensible handling and control layouts"

Is there something preventing making art with pro cameras? Not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to understand his idea.

12-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Is there something preventing making art with a D5 - when a KP would be more inconspicuous and much less expensive yet still do the job? Why wouldn't you choose an overkill solution every single time? Disabling the insanely fast fps rate, maybe using manual focus or single point AF on static subjects?
12-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Is there something preventing making art with a D5 - when a KP would be more inconspicuous and much less expensive yet still do the job? Why wouldn't you choose an overkill solution every single time? Disabling the insanely fast fps rate, maybe using manual focus or single point AF on static subjects?
So in reality nothing really prevents anyone making art with any decent camera right? Is KP more art-friendly because it looks more arty? If size all it takes for making art then I guess mft cameras are the way to go, no?
12-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote

"it's geared toward amateurs and enthusiasts who shoot in a more of an art-photographer manner rather than a pro-photographer manner; and it steps neatly into Pentax's
longstanding tradition of having about the best and most sensible handling and control layouts"

Is there something preventing making art with pro cameras? Not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to understand his idea.
So in reality nothing really prevents anyone making art with any decent camera right? Is KP more art-friendly because it looks more arty? If size all it takes for making art then I guess mft cameras are the way to go, no?
I think you may have misread his statement a little bit. He's not saying anything about the capabilities of "pro cameras"; he's saying what he thinks the most optimal application for the KP is.

12-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #113
Veteran Member

I think you may have misread his statement a little bit. He's not saying anything about the capabilities of "pro cameras"; he's saying what he thinks the most optimal application for the KP is.
Maybe I have, just seems a bit limiting to me. Although I guess Pentax is more of a niche choice anyway now. Also, spec wise KP doesn't seem like it underperforms compared to any other apsc body (apart from maybe d500 af-wise).
12-23-2017, 01:41 PM - 3 Likes   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I have, just seems a bit limiting to me. Although I guess Pentax is more of a niche choice anyway now. Also, spec wise KP doesn't seem like it underperforms compared to any other apsc body (apart from maybe d500 af-wise).
He probably shouldn't have really used the term "professional" because it's so encompassing. The KP's pixel-shift would do great for some fine art photography, and (especially with the battery grip) I'm sure it would be fine for weddings, portraiture, etc. IMO, aspects of the KP that limit it for some genres of heavy-duty photography are the small buffer and less-than-great AF. That doesn't mean you can't make great photos in all photographic genres with the KP, just that there are better choices.*

* Heck, when it comes to wildlife photography so much of the talk is about AF speed and burst speed and buffer depth, yet all my tele lenses are MF and I seem to do OK, IMHO.

12-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Indeed, I did sell the K-1 I owned to a nice gentleman here on the PF and I also did purchase a D750. Different horses for courses - they're both fine cameras.

But that isn't what I meant by my comment. It wasn't to sell your gear but not to attack people who have a lesser opinion of the product you cherish.
There is certainly a bit of brand loyalty here. I would be surprised if there weren't. In fact, if there were no brand loyalty on THIS forum I would certainly be concerned for the Pentax brand.

But, to be honest, it is actually pretty muted in comparison to what it could be.

I kind of suspect that Chevy vs Ford, or for the camera aficionados, Leica vs Contax loyalties were pretty strong in the day. Maybe even today to an extent.

However, since I have NEVER been a Nikon fanboy, to have someone who has jumped ship from Pentax to Nikon come back to a Pentax forum and try to tell us how to act probably takes more shameless audacity than even a Pentax fanboy could muster.
12-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #116
Veteran Member

He probably shouldn't have really used the term "professional" because it's so encompassing. The KP's pixel-shift would do great for some fine art photography, and (especially with the battery grip) I'm sure it would be fine for weddings, portraiture, etc. IMO, aspects of the KP that limit it for some genres of heavy-duty photography are the small buffer and less-than-great AF. That doesn't mean you can't make great photos in all photographic genres with the KP, just that there are better choices.*

* Heck, when it comes to wildlife photography so much of the talk is about AF speed and burst speed and buffer depth, yet all my tele lenses are MF and I seem to do OK, IMHO.
I guess if pro photographers only shoot wildlife and sports, but landscapes and fine art, as well as still life and portrait photographers can definitely make images they can sell with Pentax offerings) Great photo of the bear btw, I've always steered clear of wildlife stuff since I always thought the price of long telephotos is so high, but I do like a good image of a majestic animal in it's natural habitat
12-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #117
Pentaxian

IMO M.J. doesn't say anything weird; the KP is well suited to a more deliberate, at your leisure shooting rather than relying on speed. And that doesn't make it a bad camera, far from it.
How can I better explain this... imagine a Fujifilm commercial; now substitute the camera with the KP. That's it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
There is certainly a bit of brand loyalty here. I would be surprised if there weren't. In fact, if there were no brand loyalty on THIS forum I would certainly be concerned for the Pentax brand.
I agree. A bit of brand loyalty is to be expected.
The problem is, often it's not towards Pentax.

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-23-2017 at 02:32 PM.
12-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #118
Pentaxian

This comment has more to do with the psychological and aesthetic outlook of the photographer rather than whether one can make art with a pro camera. First of all, art photography tends not emphasis technical specs. I had one "art photographer" once brag to me that she wanted to avoid the technical side of photography. And "art" photography doesn't generally involve extreme action photography (not that it couldn't, it just doesn't do so very often). And people with an artistic sensibility may want a camera that reflects their sensibility, rather than the utilitarian blobs that Nikon and Canon tend to produce. Cameras such as the Canon 80D, Nikon D7500 and Nikon 500 are marvelous tools of technical proficiency, but they're rather short on elegance and aesthetic appeal.
12-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
This comment has more to do with the psychological and aesthetic outlook of the photographer rather than whether one can make art with a pro camera. First of all, art photography tends not emphasis technical specs. I had one "art photographer" once brag to me that she wanted to avoid the technical side of photography. And "art" photography doesn't generally involve extreme action photography (not that it couldn't, it just doesn't do so very often). And people with an artistic sensibility may want a camera that reflects their sensibility, rather than the utilitarian blobs that Nikon and Canon tend to produce. Cameras such as the Canon 80D, Nikon D7500 and Nikon 500 are marvelous tools of technical proficiency, but they're rather short on elegance and aesthetic appeal.
I thought all of those folks already got their Leicas
12-23-2017, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #120
Pentaxian

I thought all of those folks already got their Leicas
They're artists — they can't afford Leicas.
Closed Thread