TCSTV: Pentax KP 2nd worst camera of 2017

Oh dear....

12-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Oh dear....
Not unexpected, they were reasonably scathing of the KP when they reviewed it.
12-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

which one is 1st worst camera?
12-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Leica CL

12-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The Leica CL.

On one hand, I see their point and understand why its on their list, on the other, I feel it wasn't designed to innovate. Its primarily a new body for those who shoot lighter smaller slower with limiteds. A new body design ethic.

Now, third place was awarded to the Canon 6dmkii, which was placed in the "worst of" list for lack of innovation, just like the KP was placed on the list for lack of innovation. However, the 6dmkii is the update of the 6d. Its supposed to be different. The KP is a different body design.

This is not in any shape of form a critique of the camera store list, I loved the video, its merely a critique on how often cameras (and any consumer technology) MUST be refreshed these days. Why not just keep the 6d around instead of updating it to the 6dmkii without any real upgrades and thus annoying the customers?

How long were film cameras kept in production until a newer model came out?
12-20-2017, 09:04 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hard to disagree about the camera's lack of appeal given last year's releases- and if you could shoot with any system. But it's still a solid camera overall given the durability and compactness.

Pretty entertaining video overall! Their point about innovation is quite valid. 2018 will be the year for Ricoh to show us new tech in a DSLR- hopefully.
12-20-2017, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pretty entertaining video overall! Their point about innovation is quite valid. 2018 will be the year for Ricoh to show us new tech in a DSLR- hopefully.
That would be a very nice progression for Pentax for 2018

12-20-2017, 09:38 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Now, third place was awarded to the Canon 6dmkii, which was placed in the "worst of" list for lack of innovation, just like the KP was placed on the list for lack of innovation. However, the 6dmkii is the update of the 6d. Its supposed to be different. The KP is a different body design.
I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, there are bunches of folks - including Pentaxians - who don't seem to understand that the KP is not the K-3 II replacement. It's closer in concept to the Olympus Pen-F and Fuji X-Pro. And the while KP may be a bit of style over substance, the "substance" still seems pretty good, thanks to the imaging pipeline and the quiet shutter that is not available in the lower-tier Pentax bodies. Perhaps by the end of 2018 I'll get one.
12-20-2017, 09:46 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are always pretty entertaining!

Although, as far as innovation goes I think the improvement in high ISO performance that Pentax has managed to get out of the KP, is pretty significant and this has been achieved by some innovation from what I understand.

Maybe its just what I like, but better high ISO performance beats a whole bunch of bells and whistles in my book.

Nevertheless it will be interesting to see what Pentax brings 2018!
12-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While they probably were unnecessarily harsh in their verdict, I do get where they're coming from.

Feature- and performance-wise the KP has quite a bit to go for it, but who gave Ricoh the idea that the K-7/K-5/K-3 form factor is not small enough to be happily shooting their Limiteds? One reason that I fell in love with the K-7 in its time was that it fit my hands like a glove, had build quality written all over it, and was so much fun in actual use.

Remember that Nikon Df, which arguably followed a similar retro design philosophy? Nobody apart from a few die-hard fans talks about it anymore.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-20-2017 at 11:40 PM.
12-21-2017, 12:05 AM - 7 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Over the years I cannot count how many times I have tired from the yammer that goes on in this industry. It is so contradictory. if you want to go back far enough, the high-minded thought having an in-camera meter was beneath a "true photographer".

These same individuals from "The Camera Store" having dissed the KP because they did not like the ergonomics, specifically the grip, which so many others have thought very good, went on to say how wonderful it would be if Pentax came out with a K-1000 design DSLR! The K-1000 has far less of a grip than the smallest of the KP! And there is no comparison for operational control that makes picture-taking more efficient, more accurate, and more capable of fine results. The reviewer originally was showing how his little finger would hang off at the bottom, even though he has smaller hands. He was simply holding it the same way he would hold a K-1! With the KP, the shutter release button is on top instead of at an angle set within the grip. So your trigger finger goes over around the top ready to engage the shutter release. This leaves plenty of room for the remaining fingers. What would this poor man do with the ME Super?

Then they fault the KP for lacking innovation in its design. What? This model is the most innovative I have seen in quite a while. In fact it is that which has been the source of its controversy. People, like these of "The Camera Store", are so accustomed to a certain design, having a meaty grip they grab onto like a woodsman does a chainsaw, they have no background for handling a classic camera body. So they find its grip "uncomfortable". Then they dare to reminisce over the K-1000! Innovative? How about its revolutionary control set? How about basically metal construction in a body essentially the weight of the K-70, but in a slimmer design? How about a high-class DSLR that is close to the svelteness of many APS-C mirrorless models? They consider the K-70 a great camera- which it is for its entry class. But they ignore the fact that the KP can do things efficiently without going to a menu, which would be a must with the K-70.

They are right regarding poor marketing. People tend to go with what they are used to seeing- likewise with "The Camera Store" people. It is marketing that is required to tune people in to a different concept. A smaller, lighter, but very potent concept.
12-21-2017, 12:52 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

This verdict is similar to how the KP was received by many, here, on Pentaxforums. Pentax delivered what the crowd wanted, and more, and the crowd was still unpleased. It is like the saying be carefull what you wish for, it might come true.

I have a K3 and my GF has a KP so i use both regularly, and i can safely say that the KP offers a unique shooting experience. It is a bit unorthodox, and if you do not take the time to just browse thru the options and see what all the knobs and buttons do, it can be a bit confusing. But once you are familiar with it, it's second to none (maybe the K1, but have not used it yet).

I hope Pentax keeps rolling out similar 2nd worst cameras because a lot of people actually enjoy them, myself included.

Or maybe they just spelled BEST wrong
12-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #13
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Or maybe they just spelled BEST wrong
They were never going to pronounce anything Pentax as BEST with all that Nikon and Sony love going on....

It is what it is, Pentax has it's place, and produces some very good cameras.

I enjoy the fun of TCSTV end of year wrap up, but I don't get too concerned about the opinions expressed.

And....just to take a minute to consider TCSTV's actual best camera of 2017 the Nikon D850, here is a second opinion comparing it with the K1. I guess I will be sticking with Pentax.

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 12-21-2017 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Additional information
12-21-2017, 01:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
They were never going to pronounce anything Pentax as BEST with all that Nikon and Sony love going on....

I enjoy the fun of TCSTV end of year wrap up, but I don't get too concerned about the opinions expressed.

And....just to take a minute to consider TCSTV's actual best camera of 2017 the Nikon D850, here is a second opinion comparing it with the K1. I guess I will be sticking with Pentax. Cameraville Review D850 verses K1
That last part was me trying to be funny, but as always, have failed. Anyway, regardless of cathegory, we can no longer speak of the best because our need are as unique as we are. To be honest i did not look at the video (i never look at youtube videos) but totally disagree with the KP being 2nd worst anything, and from my POV it has a a number of innovative features.
12-21-2017, 01:43 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

Likewise.

Let's be frank, there are no "bad" cameras available right now. Whatever brand we choose, the functionality, performance and IQ are phenomenal. Given that, it becomes a matter of our own priorities, preferences and budget as to which cameras are "best" and "worst". It's highly subjective, as is the KP's ranking by TCSTV. For some people, the KP is a fantastic choice
Closed Thread