Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Silly question: does the Grip have to be in the 'on' position to work?

This is for a K-3: Sounds stupid, but I was wondering if the 'on' switch of the grip is just for using the grip for trigger fire. Does the camera detect the power source in the grip if the switch is NOT turned on? If the grip is 'on' is there a power draw from the grip battery?

Any folks like to use the Grip here? thanks.

12-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, the on off switch on the grip controls whether the grip is functional or not
12-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera will detect the battery in the grip whether or not it is on. You can set, via the menu, which Battery is depleted first. The ON switch on the grip activates the buttons. I use the grips with all my cameras, especially for paid work, I leave the switch off and only use it when I want portrait orientation. It prevents accidental fires that way.
12-21-2017, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The camera will detect the battery in the grip whether or not it is on. You can set, via the menu, which Battery is depleted first. The ON switch on the grip activates the buttons. I use the grips with all my cameras, especially for paid work, I leave the switch off and only use it when I want portrait orientation. It prevents accidental fires that way.
Fstop 18

I own the copy right to all stupid/silly questions but I do not enforce it.

yes, to avoid accidental shutter operation, make sure your grip is turned off

this has happened to me several times,

I would review my photos and say,

that is worse then usual what was I doing and then the " light bulb " went off the grip had been turned on accidently and I got some " mystery " photos

I set my camera to use the grip battery first just because it is easier to swap out than taking the grip off and accessing the battery in the camera body

12-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Fstop 18

I own the copy right to all stupid/silly questions but I do not enforce it.

yes, to avoid accidental shutter operation, make sure your grip is turned off

this has happened to me several times,

I would review my photos and say,

that is worse then usual what was I doing and then the " light bulb " went off the grip had been turned on accidently and I got some " mystery " photos

I set my camera to use the grip battery first just because it is easier to swap out than taking the grip off and accessing the battery in the camera body
And here I thought I was the only one with “mystery” shots. When I got my first grip for the K10 I thought it was possessed!

12-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks folks, you have been really helpful. Happy Holidays to all!!!
12-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last week I had an issue where after turning on the camera and focusing with the half press and taking a picture.
At random times you could hear and see that the camera was auto focusing on its own, then stop and start again.
Sometimes it would do this and at times it would not.
Seemed to have started after purchasing two DA* lenses that have been converted to screw drive.
Thought maybe there is a bug in the screw drive conversion and on both lenses.
Was out the other day and it did it again, very annoying to say the least.
Happened to look down and saw the grip was turned on.
I have good sized hands and if gripping the camera just right, my hand was half pressing the shutter button causing it to auto focus.

Lesson learned.
I always check now

Clarence

12-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I leave the switch off and only use it when I want portrait orientation
+1 what he said...