Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kirk or Markins L plate for K-1?

Looking at those 2 manufacturers mainly because they have the strap loop I can use to attach my PeakDesign Slide anchors.
Markins looks very low profile which is always a plus, but does it sacrifice anything to achieve that? Has anyone tried it?
Kirk seems to be available everywhere, it was my first choice before I saw Markins one. Kirk seems much larger/clunkier in general, particularly the L part.

Has anyone used either of those? What's your experience with those two?

PS: I've settled on buying either of those instead of going for the more affordable ones on amazon, feel I can gift myself a slightly more premium product for christmas

Last edited by awscreo; 12-22-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Wrong title
12-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Universal Arca Plate ? Breakthrough Photography

I have used Markins on all previous cameras but they had nothing that would work on the K-1 at the time I bought mine. I got the one from Breakthrough as a stop gap fully intending to get a Markins plate when available. But now I won't. The Breakthrough one works just fine and quality is the same as the Markin plates I have on my K-3's. I have been using it since spring of 2016 on my K-1. I have the 60mm version.
12-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Universal Arca Plate ? Breakthrough Photography

I have used Markins on all previous cameras but they had nothing that would work on the K-1 at the time I bought mine. I got the one from Breakthrough as a stop gap fully intending to get a Markins plate when available. But now I won't. The Breakthrough one works just fine and quality is the same as the Markin plates I have on my K-3's. I have been using it since spring of 2016 on my K-1. I have the 60mm version.
Damn, I screwed up! I meant L plates! Sorry for confusion, I'll edit my post)
12-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No worries. There was a thread here not that long ago about L-plates for the K-1. A quick look and I do not see it might if you search you mind it. I don't use an L-plate so I really did not pay attention to that thread.

12-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Kirk or Markins L plate for K-1?
K-1 L Bracket Maybe this will help.
12-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
K-1 L Bracket Maybe this will help.
I was part of that discussion, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning Markins, it looks better than RRS, Kirk or any other thing to me, just wanted to ask if anyone used it before.
12-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I was part of that discussion, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning Markins, it looks better than RRS, Kirk or any other thing to me, just wanted to ask if anyone used it before.
I have the Markins on my k-1 with a Peak Designs anchor attached to the plate. I like it but I have only had it for a short time.

12-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
I have the Markins on my k-1 with a Peak Designs anchor attached to the plate. I like it but I have only had it for a short time.
Did you have any issues mounting the combo to your tripod? I've never used an L bracket before, I've seen some vague talk on different forums about compatibility issues with different combos
12-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I picked up a K1 and an L bracket several months ago. I thought that I had researched pretty much all the possibilities - RRS and Kirk along with a generic that didn't appeal to me at all. This is the first I had heard about the one from Markins.

In the past, I used the Kirk for my K20 and K5 - which worked perfectly, very snug. This time, I went with the RRS one because it hugged the side of the body better than the Kirk (based on the product photos). So far so good, it works, and fits very close to the body and I'm very happy with its performance.

I'm now sitting here comparing the RRS (in hand) with the Markins (via photos on ebay). The Markins bracket in the image is difficult to tell if it's any more snug than the RRS. I doubt that it's a worse fit. I think the only way to tell is to actually have both items and fit them on a camera body.

QuoteQuote:
Did you have any issues mounting the combo to your tripod? I've never used an L bracket before, I've seen some vague talk on different forums about compatibility issues with different combos
I've had no problems at all. I have used the L Bracket with my ballhead (Acratech GP), geared head (Manfrotto 410) and my pano head (Nodal Ninja 5). I'v have settled on a common Acra-Swiss clamp and plate system. I have had no interchangeable problems across Kirk, RRS, Acratech, Sumwayphoto, Fanotec, etc. It's all been plug and play.

I have even attached a Sumwayphoto clamp on to a Manfrotto plate (for the geared head 410), essentially converting a 410 Manfrotto head into being Arac-Swiss compatible.

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-22-2017 at 11:20 PM.
12-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
I have not had any issues mounting the camera. I can't see why there would be any issues, but I do have a Markins ball head.
12-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
I have not had any issues mounting the camera. I can't see why there would be any issues, but I do have a Markins ball head.
Thank you for feedback. I think I'll order Markins today, I love it's low profile. Kirk seems way too large on the L bracket side. Too bad it's coming from Korea, will take a long time to get to me)

---------- Post added 12-23-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I picked up a K1 and an L bracket several months ago. I thought that I had researched pretty much all the possibilities - RRS and Kirk along with a generic that didn't appeal to me at all. This is the first I had heard about the one from Markins.

In the past, I used the Kirk for my K20 and K5 - which worked perfectly, very snug. This time, I went with the RRS one because it hugged the side of the body better than the Kirk (based on the product photos). So far so good, it works, and fits very close to the body and I'm very happy with its performance.

I'm now sitting here comparing the RRS (in hand) with the Markins (via photos on ebay). The Markins bracket in the image is difficult to tell if it's any more snug than the RRS. I doubt that it's a worse fit. I think the only way to tell is to actually have both items and fit them on a camera body.

I've had no problems at all. I have used the L Bracket with my ballhead (Acratech GP), geared head (Manfrotto 410) and my pano head (Nodal Ninja 5). I'v have settled on a common Acra-Swiss clamp and plate system. I have had no interchangeable problems across Kirk, RRS, Acratech, Sumwayphoto, Fanotec, etc. It's all been plug and play.

I have even attached a Sumwayphoto clamp on to a Manfrotto plate (for the geared head 410), essentially converting a 410 Manfrotto head into being Arac-Swiss compatible.
Markins looks like the RRS one but with lower profile and a strap loop which I need for my PD Slide system. I'll report back when I'll get mine (would take quite a while to get here from S. Korea)
12-25-2017, 01:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I was part of that discussion, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning Markins
Really? In the last post i'd sum all the informations from all the K-1 l-plate threads:
K-1 L Bracket - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
12-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Really? In the last post i'd sum all the informations from all the K-1 l-plate threads:
K-1 L Bracket - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
i think i unsubbed from that thread because it was inactive for like a month and a half, didn't see that message. btw, markins has the strap loop and RRS doesn't. Price was $122 from Korea, RRS with tax would be about the same, maybe slightly more expensive. But delivery would be way faster, my bracket is coming from S. Korea, going to take a while till I get it.