Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Damn Brit

Hot pixels and the 2 second timer on K10D.

I have seen several mentions of this hot pixel and 2 second timer issue on the forum but I haven't seen any solutions given. Are there any?

If I don't use the timer when using the tripod I can get blurring, if I do use the timer, I seek out the HP's in PP and remove them, there are usually between 3 and 5 of them.
I know this is only really an issue when I shoot JPEG but until, I get my new computer, I'm going to continue shooting Jpeg.

One thing I haven't tried is removing the battery grip, does anyone know if that makes a difference? I know from experience that the BG can cause HN alongside the VN with higher ISO/Low light shooting.

08-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I have seen several mentions of this hot pixel and 2 second timer issue on the forum but I haven't seen any solutions given. Are there any?

If I don't use the timer when using the tripod I can get blurring, if I do use the timer, I seek out the HP's in PP and remove them, there are usually between 3 and 5 of them.
I know this is only really an issue when I shoot JPEG but until, I get my new computer, I'm going to continue shooting Jpeg.

One thing I haven't tried is removing the battery grip, does anyone know if that makes a difference? I know from experience that the BG can cause HN alongside the VN with higher ISO/Low light shooting.
The real hot-pixel issue was with the K20 with the original firmware (not the K10) and the 2-second timer. The K10 has no specific problems with the 2-second timer, but hot pixels do show up some times also when using normal no delay modes. I occasionally see them, no solution except cloning them out in PP or using a raw development program which maps them out. Note that there exist also programs which remove them from jpegs, but I'm always afraid that these programs degrade the image quality, so I rather remove them by hand.
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
The K10 has no specific problems with the 2-second timer
Sorry to correct you but every time I use the 2 second timer I know I have to look for HP's.
08-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Sorry to correct you but every time I use the 2 second timer I know I have to look for HP's.
The longer the exposure, the more the sensor heats, resulting in more hot pixels.

I assume you mainly use 2s delay for long exposures? When you switch the 2s delay off and leave everything else unchanged, do you than really have less hot pixels?

A possible explanation could be that the sensor heats up during the 2s delay, being active in some way or caused by the shake-reduction mechanism which locks the sensor into place even when SR is off.

You are using firmware 1.30?

08-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
The longer the exposure, the more the sensor heats, resulting in more hot pixels.

I assume you mainly use 2s delay for long exposures? When you switch the 2s delay off and leave everything else unchanged, do you than really have less hot pixels?

A possible explanation could be that the sensor heats up during the 2s delay, being active in some way or caused by the shake-reduction mechanism which locks the sensor into place even when SR is off.

You are using firmware 1.30?
It seems to happen at whatever exposure I use. Not all the time though. I am sure I have seen other post relating to this same thing.
It is recommended that timer is used with tripods.