Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Damn Brit
Guest




Hot pixels and the 2 second timer on K10D.

I have seen several mentions of this hot pixel and 2 second timer issue on the forum but I haven't seen any solutions given. Are there any?

If I don't use the timer when using the tripod I can get blurring, if I do use the timer, I seek out the HP's in PP and remove them, there are usually between 3 and 5 of them.
I know this is only really an issue when I shoot JPEG but until, I get my new computer, I'm going to continue shooting Jpeg.

One thing I haven't tried is removing the battery grip, does anyone know if that makes a difference? I know from experience that the BG can cause HN alongside the VN with higher ISO/Low light shooting.

08-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I have seen several mentions of this hot pixel and 2 second timer issue on the forum but I haven't seen any solutions given. Are there any?

If I don't use the timer when using the tripod I can get blurring, if I do use the timer, I seek out the HP's in PP and remove them, there are usually between 3 and 5 of them.
I know this is only really an issue when I shoot JPEG but until, I get my new computer, I'm going to continue shooting Jpeg.

One thing I haven't tried is removing the battery grip, does anyone know if that makes a difference? I know from experience that the BG can cause HN alongside the VN with higher ISO/Low light shooting.
The real hot-pixel issue was with the K20 with the original firmware (not the K10) and the 2-second timer. The K10 has no specific problems with the 2-second timer, but hot pixels do show up some times also when using normal no delay modes. I occasionally see them, no solution except cloning them out in PP or using a raw development program which maps them out. Note that there exist also programs which remove them from jpegs, but I'm always afraid that these programs degrade the image quality, so I rather remove them by hand.
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
The K10 has no specific problems with the 2-second timer
Sorry to correct you but every time I use the 2 second timer I know I have to look for HP's.
08-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Sorry to correct you but every time I use the 2 second timer I know I have to look for HP's.
The longer the exposure, the more the sensor heats, resulting in more hot pixels.

I assume you mainly use 2s delay for long exposures? When you switch the 2s delay off and leave everything else unchanged, do you than really have less hot pixels?

A possible explanation could be that the sensor heats up during the 2s delay, being active in some way or caused by the shake-reduction mechanism which locks the sensor into place even when SR is off.

You are using firmware 1.30?

08-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
The longer the exposure, the more the sensor heats, resulting in more hot pixels.

I assume you mainly use 2s delay for long exposures? When you switch the 2s delay off and leave everything else unchanged, do you than really have less hot pixels?

A possible explanation could be that the sensor heats up during the 2s delay, being active in some way or caused by the shake-reduction mechanism which locks the sensor into place even when SR is off.

You are using firmware 1.30?
It seems to happen at whatever exposure I use. Not all the time though. I am sure I have seen other post relating to this same thing.
It is recommended that timer is used with tripods.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, issue, jpeg, photography, timer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any hot pixels on your K-5? Raybo Pentax K-5 54 12-15-2010 01:51 PM
Hot Pixels GregK8 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 03-04-2009 07:17 AM
Hot pixels richard64 Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 08-05-2008 05:50 PM
K10D hot/stuck pixels tdb Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 05-01-2008 04:50 AM
hot pixels silverknight Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 03-30-2008 08:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top