Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2018, 02:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understand your frustration, but remember that although Pentax goes to great lengths to ensure backward compatibility with its own lenses, the company is under no obligation whatsoever to maintain compatibility with third party lenses.

The onus is Sigma to support *their* customers to keep their lenses useful. Like they did with the mount modifications after the K-1 issue.

01-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
I will come back to comment if I'm able to use this lens during the weekend.
The sigma is working fine with my KP. In fact, I'm surprised with it's sharpness handheld. Still needs more testing. If it keeps working fine, the problem could be that some sigma copies have issues as mentioned by other member or it is your Pentax kp (less likely I think). It could also be that I was lucky.
01-02-2018, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #18

Original Poster
Good news! Sigma can do a Firnware update on my lens, so off to the post office today!
01-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TXPentaxK50 Quote
Good news! Sigma can do a Firnware update on my lens, so off to the post office today!
What a deal! It is not every day that a manufacturer provides service to provide forward compatibility to a new camera model several years after a lens end-of-life (2011). Your 70-200/2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II is a fine tool and it is good indeed that it can be updated to work with your KP.

Steve

01-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #20

That's great to hear TXPentaxK50. Nothing worse than having trouble with an older lens on a new body.
01-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Excellent! Let us know how it works once you get it back!
01-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What a deal! It is not every day that a manufacturer provides service to provide forward compatibility to a new camera model several years after a lens end-of-life (2011). Your 70-200/2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II is a fine tool and it is good indeed that it can be updated to work with your KP.

Steve
I wonder why Sigma would eliminate such a popular zoom lens from its offerings? Seems like a 70-200 2.8 would be a staple in any sports photographer’s bag.

It appears that Sigma is slowly winding down its Pentax-capable offerings. Is that reality?

01-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears that Sigma is slowly winding down its Pentax-capable offerings. Is that reality?
I do not think "slowly" is the term.
Sigma Pentax mount is "gone" for all new lenses.

I may be wrong as usual.

Clarence
01-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
I do not think "slowly" is the term.
Sigma Pentax mount is "gone" for all new lenses.

I may be wrong as usual.

Clarence
It appears that you are right. All of the online retailers have mostly Canikon fitment Sigma lenses for sale. this is excluding the Art Series of lenses. I suspect there may be new old stock floating around, but other than what you see at Adorama and BandH good luck finding it.
I may be wrong also but this is just what I observed while spending way too much time and money hunting for Pentax compatible lenses during December.
01-03-2018, 10:23 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
It appears that you are right. All of the online retailers have mostly Canikon fitment Sigma lenses for sale. this is excluding the Art Series of lenses. I suspect there may be new old stock floating around, but other than what you see at Adorama and BandH good luck finding it.
I may be wrong also but this is just what I observed while spending way too much time and money hunting for Pentax compatible lenses during December.
I would think this is not good for the future of Pentax. Besides Tamron, what other third parties are manufacturing lenses that will fit the Pentax?
01-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I would think this is not good for the future of Pentax. Besides Tamron, what other third parties are manufacturing lenses that will fit the Pentax?
I don't think it matters a lot since there are new full frame lenses coming as well as amazing lenses still in production like the FA 77 and all the DA Limited's for APSC. That and all of the legacy glass that works pretty well for a lot of folks here. Use a Limited and believe in Pentax! They are full of magic!
01-04-2018, 12:01 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wonder why Sigma would eliminate such a popular zoom lens from its offerings? Seems like a 70-200 2.8 would be a staple in any sports photographer’s bag.
They didn't. Your lens was replaced by a newer model of a different design in 2011 (also available in K-mount).

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Steve
01-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #28

Original Poster
They didn't. Your lens was replaced by a newer model of a different design in 2011 (also available in K-mount).

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Steve

Steve can you explain what the term "full frame" means? I see that term a lot. Sorry if that's a dumb question.

---------- Post added 01-04-18 at 04:50 PM ----------

Steve
Gotcha. For some reason I didn't see that lens under their Pentax offerings.
01-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve can you explain what the term "full frame" means?
In the context of lenses, it means a lens whose image circle (the focused circle of light projected from the rear of the lens) has sufficient diameter to cover the whole of the 24mm x 36mm image frame without significant vignette. In the context of cameras, it means a camera that supports the 24mm x 36mm image frame. Examples would include 35mm film cameras and the Pentax K-1.

Steve
01-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Steve
Not any longers, they stopped making the OS version in Pentax mount some time ago.