Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tom, I just bought the Sigma 50mm 2.8 eX DG macro and am very pleased with it. I also find mine hard to take a bad picture (except the infernal hunting in autofocus is annoying). Reason I bought it, besides great reviews, is because of the unavailabililty
of any Pentax lens I was looking for, including 28-105 and others. Pentax is really taking a hit! Your pictures are remarkable and I can understand your pleasure with this apparently excellent 40mm. I have to say I also am very fond of my 18-55 kit lens and am struggling with which lens to keep on my camera. I'm leaning towards the 50mm 2.8 Sigma and am not even thinking of getting the 50-200 Pentax yet because I just don't seem to need the long range. Hope to see more of your 40mm pics. Regards, Freddy

02-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well?

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote
I went into my local shop looking for a DA 21 but would have bought the 16-45 based on your recommendation and the brilliant clarity of the shots you've shared.

It turned out, they didn't have the DA 21, or the DA 16-45/4. He only had two lenses in stock. One was a DA 40 and the other a DA 18-55 kit. The shopkeep was bitter about it too. He said he brought in a bunch of K10Ds and customers stripped the shelves of them. Not long afterward, customers bared his shelves of lens inventory too. It sounds like he's going to drop Pentax.

I think one of the things that bugs him most about Pentax is that he's been recommending to people like me to buy Nikon or Canon but we go for Pentax anyway. He did his best to try to get us into a real system but we just wouldn't listen.
Well..Did you buy the 40mm Limited? I will be using that lens exclusively for my next up and coming shoot. As I will be shooting all up from the waist shots, it will fit perfectly for what I want...You could check it out..
02-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

"(except the infernal hunting in autofocus is annoying)"

love it freddy.. he he he

those damn trade offs again..

trog
02-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Did you buy the 40mm Limited?
Yes. The pictures at the top of this thread were all taken with it.

03-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #20

Location: Regina, Saskatchewan Middle of the Great White North
Wow

Here's a downtown shot. Every picture that comes out of this thing sparkles.

Nice shots... next time I'm on Sasktel's roof I may have to shoot back! LOL
03-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Here's a downtown shot. Every picture that comes out of this thing sparkles.

cold day in Regina, Tom?
03-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #22

sensor dust

Hello, Tom.

Your shots do photographers proud. I'm not sure if you noticed, but there are faint black splotches in the upper centers of the shots in posts #2 and #3 compatible with sensor dust (I don't see it on the later shots, so I'm not sure if you had since cleaned your sensor- if so, please disregard). I bring this up not to denigrate your shots, but to alert you to the problem. Typically, dust spots manifest themselves at higher (smaller) apertures. The spots in those photos can be fixed, but sooner or later, the defects will crop up in ways that are tough to remedy.

To confirm the presence of dust, set the aperture to the highest value (f22 or so) and shoot at a bright, clear blue sky or white paper, with plenty of exposure. If there are dark spots on an otherwise featureless background, you have dust. I use the "Visible Dust" removal system (electrostatic brush) to get rid of mine.

Keep up the good work!

John