Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: A new K20 or some more gear?
Sell the K10D and use the proceeds to finance a K20D 945.00%
Keep K10D and buy a better flash + software 945.00%
I have an even better idea (please share) 210.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #16

Spend the money on education, travel, women, wine.

08-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have my K10 since december 2007 and I'll never buy a new body within a year. It is not a matter of money but of principle, because the product release cycles are getting shorter and shorter and I don't want a cabinet full of bodies and I'm too lazy to sell them.

The target is at most every 2 years, but when something really interesting comes along I'm willing to reduce that to 1 year. In addition skipping a generation of bodies is also a good thing, your new equipment will be significantly improved over two generations. Note that I think that the K20D IS a real improvement over the K10, that's not the reason, but the K30 will be a similar improvement over the K20.

In the mean time spending money on lenses or flashes or perhaps software is an investment (not sure about the software) which make much more sense. I would prefer lenses and my mind is set on the 60-250 which will probably be my next birthday present for december, unless an amazing body is presented at the photokina.
08-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Yeah, especially since I just got a Promaster 1.7x TC yesterday, but that's not really a lens, is it? No, it's just an accessory for my lenses.

One other thing to consider with the bodies is that the K20 is the first body with the new sensor, so that itself would be another reason to wait and see what the K30 is going to be like before making a decision. In the meantime, I can save up, so I'll be ready to buy (or close to it) after I see what PMA produces.

Heather
I think waiting is a sound decision Heather, I really do. Good luck with that, I lasted most of the day. I'm unpacking a K20D as I type. In my defence, I am upgrading from a K100DS, so there's more incentive.

Oh no, a teleconversion lens is not really a lens. I look forward to seeing some 55-300mm tests of the Promaster vs cropped.
08-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm planning on going out to one of the state parks in my area on Monday while my husband is working (he works in a prison, obviously a 24/7 operation) with the 55-300 + TC to shoot some wildlife. I'll be posting my results in the lens forum.

If I was in your shoes and had one of the K100s, I'd probably do the same thing. Have fun with your new toy.

Heather

08-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
At this point, it looks like I'm looking to keep the K10D for a while longer and not buy anything else for a while.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/35970-lba-challenge...-possible.html
If I can overcome the temptation to burn a hole in my pocket anytime I get any extra money, I'm going to have fun watching the balance on my savings account grow between now and the end of December.

Heather