Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: A new K20 or some more gear?
Sell the K10D and use the proceeds to finance a K20D 945.00%
Keep K10D and buy a better flash + software 945.00%
I have an even better idea (please share) 210.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A K20 or a new flash, etc...

I'm in a quandry. Up until this morning, I was leaning towards selling my K10 and using some extra overtime money I'll start getting towards the end of September to buy a new (or gently used) K20, then I read the following post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/35787-practice...sible-lba.html
It got me to questioning my motives for wanting a new K20 and whether or not buying one now makes sense, since I've had my K10 since February. Am I inappropriately indulging my consumerism?

The way I see it, I've got 2 options that I'm considering:
1. Sell K10D and put the proceeds + OT money towards the K20.
2. Keep K10 and use some of the OT money to buy a better flash to replace the Sunpak 383 that I have, plus a decent noise reduction program and an upgrade to LR 2.0. Start saving for replacement body to be purchased sometime early to mid-2009 after PMA, seeing if Pentax will announce a K30. At that point, I can compare the differences between the K20 and K30 and make a decison then.

I'm curious to know what you think...
Thanks!
Heather

08-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think you should sell me the K10d for 500$ or less, because I only have a K100d and my macro photos need more detail!
08-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
HA HA HA!
So does this mean that I should get the K20? If I sell the K10D right now, all I would have is a bunch of lenses and no camera to mount them on, so I would have to get something to replace it.

Seriously, the earliest I might sell the K10D would be mid to late September, as that's when the OT money will start coming in. As for the price, I would take $500 for it, but forget about the "or less", as $500 is the lowest offer I would accept.

If you're serious about buying a K10D, KEH has one in LN- condition for $546:
KEH Camera: Pentax Digital - Camera Bodies - K10D 10.2 M/P CAMERA ONLY (REQUIRES SD CARD ) DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA

Heather
08-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm in a quandry. Up until this morning, I was leaning towards selling my K10 and using some extra overtime money I'll start getting towards the end of September to buy a new (or gently used) K20, then I read the following post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/35787-practice...sible-lba.html
It got me to questioning my motives for wanting a new K20 and whether or not buying one now makes sense, since I've had my K10 since February. Am I inappropriately indulging my consumerism?

The way I see it, I've got 2 options that I'm considering:
1. Sell K10D and put the proceeds + OT money towards the K20.
2. Keep K10 and use some of the OT money to buy a better flash to replace the Sunpak 383 that I have, plus a decent noise reduction program and an upgrade to LR 2.0. Start saving for replacement body to be purchased sometime early to mid-2009 after PMA, seeing if Pentax will announce a K30. At that point, I can compare the differences between the K20 and K30 and make a decison then.

I'm curious to know what you think...
Thanks!
Heather
wait for a good deal like M$ cashback and Pentax rebate (if they come back in their full glory - let us hope)... for example for me to upgrade from my existing K10D to a new K20D was only extra USD $150 and that was not the best deal possible because I did not have good ebay coupons for example (some people claimed 10% off up to USD $100 coupons existed)... and what is USD $150 nowadays ? 2 weeks of Chevy Tahoe driving or so.

08-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Heather, keep the K10, bank the overtime money and save up for a vacation trip to some great photogenic location. (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Ireland, Hawaii, etc.) Well OK, maybe not Hawaii since it's basically a REALLY expensive Florida with volcanoes.

CW
08-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

The K10D is a fantastic camera. Keep it.
08-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have no idea about upgrading from a K10D, as I was coming from the K100D. The difference was much larger than I had expected.

Regarding some of your other points, though, plunking down the dough for Lightroom 2 was probably one of the best photographic investments I have made. Previously I was using The GIMP (which I will still heartily recommend to those wanting freeware), but my photos from LR2 just look....well...so much more like photos. Don't know any other way to put it. I also spend much less time for much greater output and have the benefit of the great cataloging feature. Since I post to Flickr a lot, having my keywords automatically turn into tags on Flickr was also a great feature for me. I'm assuming you already have a previous version and know all that, but I toss it in for those who may not be familiar with it.

For noise reduction I use Noiseware's standalone version, which only costs $49.95. Download the trial if you like and see if it suits your needs.

08-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

Get the...

Flash. Just my opinion.
--JZ
08-30-2008, 02:55 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heather,
Back to you - do you find the K10D not giving you the results you want?
If not, would the K20D give them to you?
I'd say better off getting good quality strobes if you intend to use them more, and definitely a quality PP program. Have never used Lightroom but I couldn't speak more highly about PS.

Happy shopping!
08-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Voted for getting K20D. There are a couple of ifs. Do you do a lot of night photography like fireworks, lightning, or astronomy? If so keep K10D. K20D has annoying dark frame subtraction mode that can't be turned off. Very difficult to do fireworks well.
In my experience the K20D does every thing a little better than K10D. Focuses faster, quieter, better exposure accuracy (with older manual lenses too), higher resolution, higher iso (with less noise), dynamic range expansion, etc.
Love the way the K20D pics look. They have an extra quality about them that is'nt there with the K10D. Don't think its all more pixels. The colors are just beautiful. There is an aliveness that none of my other digital cameras quite match. Maybe the lower noise combined with higher res and better color does it. Pictures just have a sparkle to them.
Wouldn't untill after Photokina. See whats next. Not sure what they have to do to make me buy another body:ugh:.
You won't need a noise reduction program near as much with K20D. Wonder if K10D with NR program would be any better? Who wants to mess with that all the time?
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #9 WINNERS IN P&S forum. Enter #10. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Ending this weekend. Enter now!
08-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You're kidding yourself if you think you're recovering from LBA.
Seriously, when you actually have the money on hand, take stock and only then decide if you really need new gear. This mental exercise of playing "what if scenarios" that you're going thru is breeding your gear addiction. With the state of the economy right now, putting aside a little more for a rainy day makes even more sense.
08-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, a good bit of that OT money is going to go towards a photo workshop that I want to go to next spring.

If I get the flash, then I figure that noise wouldn't be such an issue since I can shoot at lower ISOs when I shoot in lower light conditions. I like my current flash, but the downfall is that I have to use it in manual or X-mode for it to work properly. I'd like a flash that I can use in any mode--I'm thinking the Metz 48.

Even if I decide not the get the K20 right now, that doesn't mean that I won't eventually upgrade. It's just a matter of when.

Even with the economy the way it is, my job is safe, as I work in a public sector job where my organization is actually adding a few jobs in the upcoming fiscal year, as opposed to making any cuts.

Heather

I don't shoot at night very often, but I do shoot in lower light conditions (ie--twilight, indoors) more often.
08-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I definitely think an upgrade is worthwhile, but you should wait. Prices on the K20D keep dropping. The K20 replacement will likely have upgraded Live View and other goodies. At the very least a new model will kick the crap out of K20 prices.

I'm trying hard to take my own advice and wait, but it's hard not knowing for sure whether PMA will feature the new model. Who am I kidding, I already know I won't make it. March is just too far off. :~)

PS You should edit your signature. The "done for now" thing is a little shaky.
08-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I like my current flash, but the downfall is that I have to use it in manual or X-mode for it to work properly. I'd like a flash that I can use in any mode--I'm thinking the Metz 48.
Have a look at the Sigma 530 Super, too. As far as I can tell it does everything the Pentax 540 does, for under $300. http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flashes_flashes_details.asp?id=3263
08-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
PS You should edit your signature. The "done for now" thing is a little shaky.
Yeah, especially since I just got a Promaster 1.7x TC yesterday, but that's not really a lens, is it? No, it's just an accessory for my lenses.

One other thing to consider with the bodies is that the K20 is the first body with the new sensor, so that itself would be another reason to wait and see what the K30 is going to be like before making a decision. In the meantime, I can save up, so I'll be ready to buy (or close to it) after I see what PMA produces.

Heather