Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2017, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

I still keep a K10, mainly because the auto exposure is stuffed and I'd probably not make anything from selling it. It did have quite different colours to my K50 (which I've since replaced with the KP), the images subjectively seemed less clinical on the K10, and it seemed to like a greater range of older lenses for some reason - I felt like it just reacted better to warm colours.

That said, The Kp actually seems to be similar in terms of feel, warmth, and producing nice images from old lenses (with a few tweaks in the settings). I did have the intention of selling the K10 and using the K50 as a backup camera to the Kp, but after a few weeks decided to keep the K10 as a studio camera and sell the K50.

So the main thing I use the K10 for now is copy stand macro work (with strobes, so the colour isn't really a factor so much as I can spare the camera for long periods of time without needing to unbolt it), mainly it just stays bolted to the copy stand, and doesn't really get out of the house.

The colour thing used to be a real thing, but the difference now is more subtle. I do still enjoy the K10 though, Great camera.

12-31-2017, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's possible to more-or-less recreate the CCD cameras' colours and tone curve with pretty much any camera by tweaking the hue, saturation and luminance of individual colours in post-processing. I put a lot of time into developing a preset for Lightroom that does just that, for use with my K-3 and K-3II. It gets very close to re-creating the output of a K10D...
I downloaded your profile, and use it quite often. It's not ALWAYS what I'm looking for, but sometimes it just makes an image POP!
01-01-2018, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Another whole-hearted thumbs up for BigMackCam's CCD emulation plug-in. I've used it for every CMOS shot I've taken since Mike made it available, and it has saved me hours of processing time. I'll still always use an actual CCD when ISO 100 is an option, but for higher ISO settings Mike's plug-in makes CMOS a very acceptable alternative.
02-04-2019, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

There is definitely a difference. I just got an old K10D just out of curiosity. Went and shot this photo with a 10 stop ND, and also took a shot with my K1. My K1 was unable to capture ANY of the color variation in this long exposure, and it was flat and monotone. No amount of saturation boosting worked, as the color data simply wasn't there. With the K10D shot, boosting saturation levels revealed all kinds of color.
From my research it seems CCD tech is inherently more sensitive to subtle variations of light frequency and gets better inter-tonal detail.

Last edited by Leumas; 04-04-2019 at 11:40 AM.
02-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I do think CCDs have the opportunity to be better than CMOS, the big problem I think is no one has advanced them for consumers since the late 2000s so you end up comparing old CCD tech to new CMOS tech.
02-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

CCD costs more, so CMOS took over...10D/200D images are great.
02-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
CCD costs more, so CMOS took over...10D/200D images are great.
I think there are many other factors that you are ignoring that drove the adoption of cmos.

CCD vs CMOS | Teledyne DALSA

02-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Interesting,...years ago,after a google search I found a simple advantage V disadvantage between the two...basically it was 6 of 1 and half a dozen of another(much like DSLR/mirror less).

It stated CMOS was cheaper to mass produce, naturally I thought that was the sole reason.

I like images from both
02-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I should get to having my otherwise excellent-condition K200D repaired. I've always liked it, but it developed a battery drain situation. I even have the battery grip for it.

I have no issue with colors from my KP, however.
02-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
There is definitely a difference. I just got an old K10D just out of curiosity. Went and shot this photo with a 10 stop ND, and also took a shot with my K1. My K1 was unable to capture ANY of the color variation in this long exposure, and it was flat and monotone. No amount of saturation boosting worked, as the color data simply wasn't there. With the K10D shot, boosting saturation levels revealed all kinds of color.
From my research it seems CCD tech is inherently more sensitive to subtle variations of light frequency and gets better inter-tonal detail.
Maybe you could post the K1 shot as well? To see the side-by-side comparison. The K10D shot is really great.

Last edited by yucafrita; 02-05-2019 at 12:26 AM.
02-04-2019, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

CMOS won out over CCD because the data from it can be read much more quickly, hence CMOS sensors are suitable for video while CCDs are not.

My old K200D has a CCD in it but I haven't used it for a while. Did the images have better colour than those from my K-3? It's hard to say but I've never had any complaints about the K-3 images and overall I think the image quality is higher.
02-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Things like live view and high ISO shooting and movies all reprieve on cmos sensors. But the higher uniformity of cmos works better with astrophotography and other specialized photography so it hadn't died out.

I suspect some of the cost is due to economy of scale.
02-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few years ago, when I went to National Parks in Utah and Arizona, I brought K10D and K-5. I thought I took better pictures with K10D. Pictures have better color, are more solid and 3D look. Pictures taken with K-5, though also excellent, lack the color, 3D look, and solid feel.
02-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I've been going through older files, the older CCD images just don't hold up. The biggest difference being reduced shadow detail and colour accuracy in under-exposed areas. I think CCD is fine as long as the scene's dynamic range does not exceed the camera's. I sold my K20D after realizing I was never again going to be happy with it's images. Looking a back over 8 years of photos, it was the right choice. I came across a number of images worth going back and re-shooting with current gear. Just my opinion.
02-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've been going through older files, the older CCD images just don't hold up. The biggest difference being reduced shadow detail and colour accuracy in under-exposed areas. I think CCD is fine as long as the scene's dynamic range does not exceed the camera's. I sold my K20D after realizing I was never again going to be happy with it's images. Looking a back over 8 years of photos, it was the right choice. I came across a number of images worth going back and re-shooting with current gear. Just my opinion.
My experience is similar but I was comparing K100D to K50 - not the most fair comparison on my part.