Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2017, 07:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any advantage of CCD over CMOS?

It seems some people still have a love for CCD camera, and they said CCM give better color. Is this true? I'm a bit curious. To me CCD is old technology, but I wonder if it has any advantage over current one?

12-31-2017, 08:11 AM - 10 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
12-31-2017, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The older CCD sensor Pentax cameras - e.g. the K10D - reproduce colours differently than the later CMOS cameras. It's very clear when comparing RAW files from both types of camera in something like Lightroom. Whether that's to do with the sensor or in-camera processing is debatable, but that doesn't really matter. When all's said and done, there's a difference, and quite a lot of people prefer the output of those older CCD cameras, whatever the technical reasons.

It's possible to more-or-less recreate the CCD cameras' colours and tone curve with pretty much any camera by tweaking the hue, saturation and luminance of individual colours in post-processing. I put a lot of time into developing a preset for Lightroom that does just that, for use with my K-3 and K-3II. It gets very close to re-creating the output of a K10D...

All that said, I still choose to shoot an old GX-10 (K10D clone) regularly, as I like the straight-out-of-camera colours and overall look of the images it produces

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-31-2017 at 08:36 AM.
12-31-2017, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Here's a good read to answer your question: What are CCD or CMOS image sensors in a digital camera? | HowStuffWorks

12-31-2017, 08:38 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

You can buy an old CCD sensor camera if you like. They are not too expensive. These days nobody seems to make DSLRs with CCD anymore, so its not really much of a question.
You can buy Sigma Foveon sensor camera if you enjoy exotic sensors. But both CCD and Foveon have problems with higher ISO. CMOS was chosen because it seems to be optimal, for now. Maybe one day organic sensors or some other new tech will revolutionize the industry, but for most of us a CMOS with Bayer is more than good enough.
12-31-2017, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BMC, perhaps, is too modest to link to his own article: Get "that CCD look" with the K-3 / K-3II and Lightroom - PentaxForums.com
12-31-2017, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I was under the impression CMOS was a cheaper option,so the decision to go in that direction was an economic one.

12-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You can buy an old CCD sensor camera if you like. They are not too expensive.
Easily the way to go for those curious about CCD's. A k10d or one of the 6mp k100d or *ist models are all pretty cheap. They also won't lose any more value if you decide to sell it after a couple months.
12-31-2017, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As BigMackCam said, there's a color difference between the two technologies that's a function of some technical properties of how the chips are made that affects their sensitivity to different colors. Some like the CCD look.

In the early days, CCDs also had better IQ than CMOS sensors especially at high ISO. But that's no longer true especially in the context of a decent frame rate and high resolution.

Where CCDs come up short is:
* CCD sensors draw more power than CMOS sensors making them inferior for cameras that do video or live view.
* CCD sensors are much slower than CMOS sensors, making them inferior for high frame rates or video at high resolution
* CCD sensors require more external support chips which adds to the cost and size of the camera

The astronomy world still uses CCDs where no one minds taking a long time (like 30 seconds) to carefully read the image of the chip to get the best dynamic range possible.
12-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can recommend using DXO software as well. It has camera profiles you can apply to alter the basic look - the degree to which this will mimic the real camera is debatable.
12-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seriously LMAO at that GIF, luftluss!
12-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Let me guess, someone told you that CCD is better?
I still keep K200D because of CCD, mostly for the bright day on the beach. Colors are saturated and yes, different. But I still remember my joy when I switched to K5iis for birding with telephoto- ISO freedom.
12-31-2017, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2016/05/infographic.jpg
12-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I was under the impression CMOS was a cheaper option,so the decision to go in that direction was an economic one.
I too think so. In general larger among the consumer segments will dictate what is going to become main stream. Helps streamline manufacturing process. I also read the 14" IPS laptops are not made because screen makers do not cut the panel for that size. My favorite example is what happened to laptop with 4:3 aspect ratio :-)
12-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there was a fairly large difference in the colors of my K-30 and istDL. The DL's colors were more vibrant and warmer . I was able to tweek the colors in the K-30 to usually come close to the Dl's CCD colors. That said my K-S2's colors are close enough I have left them alone . Even comparing them to my K200D there is very little difference in the colors