Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D: Getting 300 mm f2.8 to work on it

I'm thinking of buying a K20D with the intention of using my m/f Pentax 300 mm f2.8 and 500 mm f4.5 lenses. Went to local camera shop to demo it and there appears to be no communication between camera and lens. Shows "F' in top display, won't shoot. Three staff members couldn't work it out, but I think they weren't Pentax experts.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something here?

08-30-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are these manual lenses?
08-30-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by funinoz Quote

Read the manual. Pentax Imaging - Manuals & Literature
08-30-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If they're K or M-series (no "A" position on the aperture ring) K-mount lenses, they feature no electronic contacts on the lens mount, and therefore cannot communicate aperture information to the body.

Your K20D is not set up to allow use of aperture ring with older lenses. You can change that in your camera's custom menu.

Once you enable the appropriate setting, the camera will work properly.

Still, you'll have to twist the aperture ring manually, then press the green button (I think? I 've never owned a K20D), then fire away.

08-30-2008, 02:35 AM   #5

dont forget to select manual focus with the lever
08-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

you got it FTP
08-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
Inactive Account

that is correct. Enable the aperture option in the custom menu to not be "Prohibited" or whatever, and set it to manual focus and try again. Im using some embaressingly old lenses on mine.
08-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Syb
Veteran Member

The 300/2.8 (if we're talking just Pentax here) does not exist in K- or M-edition right? It is only in A-mode.

The thing may be that you did not switch the lens to A-mode. This, combined with the customer menu option to forbid use of aperture ring, may have caused your problem.

Don't know about the 500/4.5

Good luck!

08-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #9

There is not A 500mm 4.5 Pentax lens only the manual version that doesn't stop down automatically since the rear of the lens comes off to allow the use of 49mm filters.

Tom
08-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timk Quote
dont forget to select manual focus with the lever
I prefer AF-C for focus confirmation, not sure how the k20d works though.
08-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
I prefer AF-C for focus confirmation, not sure how the k20d works though.
You get focus confirmation in MF mode as well. All three of my Pentax bodies give me confirmation. I tend to use snap-in-focus with my M series lenses at times. Catch the subject as it goes through the focus point automatically if you set the camera to MF.S and hold down the shutter button while keeping the centre focus point on the subject.
08-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #12

Yes I had the same problem. A bit embarrassing really as like you I asked at the local camera shop, and rang a big firm, but it was a PS teacher who told be what was going on. As the lens you are using will be manual you will be actually turning the 'ring' to get the F stop you want. therefore you won't have to see it in the window, it will always be F.......Do what Marlin says and all will be fine. It just won't work automatically.
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by funinoz Quote
I'm thinking of buying a K20D with the intention of using my m/f Pentax 300 mm f2.8 and 500 mm f4.5 lenses. Went to local camera shop to demo it and there appears to be no communication between camera and lens. Shows "F' in top display, won't shoot. Three staff members couldn't work it out, but I think they weren't Pentax experts.

I don't think anyone specifically told you the exact place to change this setting, so here you go:

1. Press menu
2. Right arrow to Custom Setting (C)
3. Scroll to page 7/7 or custom setting #36 Using aperture ring
4. Set #36 to #2 Permitted

That's all.
08-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
What is this?
I find it alarming when someone, especially a Moderator of this forum, takes such a stance. The OP is a new member, seeking advice for an issue that obviously could cost him a pile of cash; takes the time to post in this forum with a legitimate and well articulated request for information...(unless I am mistaken, this forum should be a source for such technical advice), and what he gets in return, from a MODERATOR, no less, is a "...Read the manual..."

What is this???? wlank, whoever you are, is this the way you really want to "moderate" this forum??? Having a bad day??? What kind of first impression this OP will get from this? (in case you don't know, first impressions ARE important...). If this is your "style", maybe you should "moderate" something else.

funinoz, on behalf on the members of this forum, I apologize. Not all Moderators are like this one, on the contrary.

Gene
08-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
What is this?
I find it alarming when someone, especially a Moderator of this forum, takes such a stance.
I quite agree, a pretty poor attitude for anyone to take .. never mind a moderator.