Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife was using a K-x when I bought my K-5. I had a K-20D. She basically "tried out" the K-5 and then kept it. I went back to the K-20D. As soon as i realized her adoption of the k-5 was permanent, I bought myself another one. The K-5 is a huge upgrade over the K-20D, K-x combo in every way imaginable. The last time I tried to use the K-20D before I sold it, it was just so clunky and slow and I like the IQ so little I practically gave it away in trade for some gear I really wanted. I've moved on to the K-3 and K-1, my wife has never seen any reason to upgrade from her K-5. It has 66,000 shutter actuations on it and should last her 3 more years before the shutter dies, but my guess right now is she won't upgrade until it dies. It is still in the top 50 IQ of all cameras, 6 years later.

Last edited by normhead; 01-04-2018 at 09:52 AM.
01-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Derek Quote
There might be some K-S2's on the famous auction site. The line seems to be discontinued and there could possibly be some NOS/demos available from a reputable seller.

I was about to pull the trigger on one, but decided I wanted a used K-3 II instead.

Mods: I hope I haven't crossed over any lines regarding off site sales.

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 01:32 PM ----------

There might be some K-S2's on the famous auction site. The line seems to be discontinued and there could possibly be some NOS/demos available from a reputable seller.

I was about to pull the trigger on one, but decided I wanted a used K-3 II instead.

Mods: I hope I haven't crossed over any lines regarding off site sales.
There are K-S2's for sale right here in PF Marketplace.
I consider buying from a fellow forum member to be a safer bet than the "famous auction site" all things being equal.
01-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The KP, K-70, and K-S2 all use the same battery. It is smaller for a more lightweight, compact camera design. They don't last especially long, maybe not as long as throw-away lithium AA's would, but probably longer than rechargeable AA's. However, these smaller proprietary batteries are recharged with a supplied charger, and they are so small there is no inconvenience in carrying along an extra fully charged one to pop in if needed.

The larger K-3, K-5 series bodies have larger batteries that do last longer. The K-5 IIs is one fine camera, even quite good for low light, and if you can find one lightly used it would represent an upgrade for sure, even having a full set of on-body controls. However, it would not have a pull-out rear LCD screen, or some other more recent niceties.
01-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The K20 was the one I sold, but kept the K10 because I considered the image quality better, so no, it’s not a step forward.

For the money, I would look for a K5 or Ks2
Think the K20D had a Samsung sensor (?), while the K10D had a Sony sensor. I have a K10D and really like the pics in the 100-400 ISO range.

I would agree with Adam, I think a K-5 is a very good choice. Love mine.

01-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
There are K-S2's for sale right here in PF Marketplace.
I consider buying from a fellow forum member to be a safer bet than the "famous auction site" all things being equal.
Gatorguy

You're quite right. I noticed that after I made that post.

One of them's even a great deal from my side of the border. Arrgh!

Derek
01-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

---------- Post added 01-03-18 at 16:47 ----------

I have had limited experience with buying " experienced " equipment from the market place

all good IMHO, YMMV

no guaranty of course
01-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #22
mee
Veteran Member

The K-x works great with Eneloop rechargable AA batteries. I ran one with those for years before I upgraded cameras (for features not because of the battery life which was not a problem).

But the K-x is long in the tooth these days... feature wise. K-S2, K-5II, or K-3 would be a nice upgrade for you on features.

01-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The K-x works great with Eneloop rechargable AA batteries. I ran one with those for years before I upgraded cameras (for features not because of the battery life which was not a problem).

But the K-x is long in the tooth these days... feature wise. K-S2, K-5II, or K-3 would be a nice upgrade for you on features.
the battery grip for the K 5 series as well as the k 3 series has two inserts with it

one can hold a regular rechargeable battery and a spare sd card

the other can hold six AA batteries to power the camera

the advantage of the AA battery is that they can reportedly be found almost every where
01-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
But setting aside image quality:
-- K-x is much smaller and allows AA batteries, but the K-x may suffer from problems with the e-dial not always working (mine has developed this).
I had a K-r that had a similar issue with the mode dial. The solution was simple. Take apart the top of the camera to get to the dial, and clean the mode dial contact ring with alcohol and a cotton swab. After that it worked like a champ.

the rear dial can similarly get gritty and need cleaning. They have a thin sheet of metal around them with teeth that touch that plate to determine which mode (or setting). it will get gritty over time due to not being weather sealed or just used a lot.. thus will lose a solid contact with the... contact sheet. cleaning resolves that.

That said these cameras have a ton of screws.. so do like I did and take lots of photos and documentation as to what screws go where. there are a ton of different sizes and length screws. no 1 or 2 standards.
01-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

---------- Post added 01-03-18 at 16:47 ----------

I have had limited experience with buying " experienced " equipment from the market place

all good IMHO, YMMV

no guaranty of course
I've purchased both a K-5 and S-S2 from our Marketplace and think I got more than I paid for. I've bought a DA15 and a DA*50-135 there too and both of those were very good bargains IMO and exactly as described. In fact there's been only one thing I bought there that didn't match the description and the forum member selling it put up no argument whatsoever when I asked them to refund me and take it back.

With Ebay I've had a few less than stellar purchasing experiences tho I've avoided being completely taken so far, but I chalk that bit of good up to Paypal. Personally I worry much more about what I'm going to receive from an auction site (with a few very reputable exceptions) than from another forum member.
01-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The main advantage for the K-5 II over the original K-5 is an upgraded AF performance especially with some lenses. The K-5 IIs has the AA filter eliminated and the result has been slight but noticeable improvement in image detail. Very sharp results with a sharp lens. I still love mine. All Pentax DSLR designs coming after- the K-3, K-S2, K-70, and KP are without an AA filter, but have a new type of AA filter which can be switched in if moire is detected in an image, then a re-shoot done.

The K-x has a slight tendency towards over-exposure, while its replacement, the K-r is less apt to do so. The K-5 series tends to under-expose slightly- about 1/3 stop. Easy to compensate for. I don't usually bother if lighting is outdoors and bright. The K-3, K-S2, and KP tend to be right on the money most of the time.
01-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
One final consideration is if you like being able to use AA batteries. If that is important to you, the K-S1 might be more your style.
QuoteOriginally posted by Andraya Quote
I hate the AA batteries in my current camera, they don't last at all. It's my main reason for wanting to upgrade actually.
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
So don't get a K-S1! I did find Eneloop rechargables worked great in my K-x if you need better batteries in the mean time.
Coming into the conversation late, and the point is moot if you don't like AAs, but since the Internet is forever and others may be reading: the K-S1 doesn't use AA batteries. It uses the same D-Li109 battery as the K-S2. The K-x was the last Pentax body to only use AAs; the K-r/30/50/500 used the D-Li109 or AAs with an adapter clip, and higher-end bodies with a grip.

My K-S1 comes closer to my K-x in small size and handiness than anything else I've tried, but the odd grip and looks put off a lot of people. The K-S2 is a better value, having more features in a package almost as small as the K-x, but a little heavier (if size is a concern).

I will say that the 20MP sensor in the K-S1/S2 comes closer to the "look" of the 12MP in my K-x than the 16MP or 24MP sensors. In my opinion, in low light, the 16MP sensor in the K-5 (and others) has the edge over the earlier 24MP (K-3,K-3II) or the 20MP, but the newest versions of the 24MP in the K-70 and KP are hard to beat.
01-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Coming into the conversation late, and the point is moot if you don't like AAs, but since the Internet is forever and others may be reading: the K-S1 doesn't use AA batteries. It uses the same D-Li109 battery as the K-S2. The K-x was the last Pentax body to only use AAs
The K-50 could also use AA's
01-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-50 could also use AA's
I included the K-50 in my list of bodies that could use AAs with the adapter clip: "K-r/30/50/500".
01-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Coming into the conversation late, and the point is moot if you don't like AAs, but since the Internet is forever and others may be reading: the K-S1 doesn't use AA batteries. It uses the same D-Li109 battery as the K-S2. The K-x was the last Pentax body to only use AAs; the K-r/30/50/500 used the D-Li109 or AAs with an adapter clip, and higher-end bodies with a grip.

My K-S1 comes closer to my K-x in small size and handiness than anything else I've tried, but the odd grip and looks put off a lot of people. The K-S2 is a better value, having more features in a package almost as small as the K-x, but a little heavier (if size is a concern).

I will say that the 20MP sensor in the K-S1/S2 comes closer to the "look" of the 12MP in my K-x than the 16MP or 24MP sensors. In my opinion, in low light, the 16MP sensor in the K-5 (and others) has the edge over the earlier 24MP (K-3,K-3II) or the 20MP, but the newest versions of the 24MP in the K-70 and KP are hard to beat.
Oops, getting my features crossed on cameras I don't own.