Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

Thinking of a new camera body.

My current camera is a k-x that has been abused over the last 8 years and I'm looking for a change. I only shoot when I travel or explore, or for friend's family photos, not professionally. I've been poking around locally for used before checking out new. A k20 popped up, would this be a step up from what I currently have? Which bodies should I consider if used, or should I suck it up and wait a bit to buy new?

01-03-2018, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andraya Quote
My current camera is a k-x that has been abused over the last 8 years and I'm looking for a change. I only shoot when I travel or explore, or for friend's family photos, not professionally. I've been poking around locally for used before checking out new. A k20 popped up, would this be a step up from what I currently have? Which bodies should I consider if used, or should I suck it up and wait a bit to buy new?
There is a tool under " cameras " which allows you to compare cameras side by side

And there are reviews of cameras there too

If you decide to buy " experienced " gear check out the market place " buy sell "
01-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's your budget and do you like the K-x form factor or would you consider something perhaps up to 50% bigger and heavier?
01-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personally I believe a gently used K-S2 would be ideal and something you'd enjoy for several years. They're a big step up from your KX, great imaging, not much larger or heavier than your current camera, and prices are reasonable. I think you could find a really good one for $350 or less.

01-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say no, in general the K20 isn't an upgrade. It's older and noisier. The one advantage I see is illuminated focus points in the viewfinder which the K-x does not have.
Also, it's going to be considerably bigger and heavier which I don't usually want in a travel camera.

My favorite Pentax body for travel is the K-S2. Compact, WR, lots of good features, flip screen, responsive. I lost mine and I miss it.
Or a K-30, 50, or 70. The 70 being the best of those three. If I were going to buy a travel body right now I'd get a K-70 or K-S2, depending on which was a better deal.

One final consideration is if you like being able to use AA batteries. If that is important to you, the K-S1 might be more your style.
01-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not really, the K20 is kind of a step backwards, though you do get a nicer build quality.

Minimally I'd recommend the K-5, though a K-70 (the current entry-level model) is super nice and also an amazing value. The older K-S2 might be a bit cheaper but it'll also be harder to find new, and the image quality isn't as good (though still better than that of the K-5 if you factor in all the new features).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K20 was the one I sold, but kept the K10 because I considered the image quality better, so no, it’s not a step forward.

For the money, I would look for a K5 or Ks2

01-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm surprised no one is recommending a KP. A bit expensive compared to the others, but certainly worth considering.

addendum: I just checked on B&H and based on owner-user evaluations and ratings the best liked Pentax cameras are:
1) K1
2) K3-II
3) K70
4) KP

Of these, the K70 is the least expensive at just under $600.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-03-2018 at 11:20 AM.
01-03-2018, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

don't know the OP's budget

but B & H is still advertising its combo of the Pentax K 3 II + the Pentax battery grip for $836.95

which is about $7.00 more that buying the Pentax k 3 II only

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video
01-03-2018, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Back in 2011, I bought a new K-r as my 2nd lightweight body to my then main camera- the K20D. Both the K-x and K-r were ahead of the game at the time for their excellent low noise/higher ISO performance with the K-r having overcome the few disadvantages of the K-x. I found the K-r to be definitely superior to the K-20D for low light use. The K-20D has a full pro-style on-body control set and is a fine quality camera. But it trails the more recent models in a number of ways in addition to low light performance, including its viewfinder, which doesn't have 100% coverage. You would be far better off when upgrading to do so to the greatest degree possible. To get low light performance significantly better than your K-x, and numerous other improvements, you'd need to advance to the KP (best), the K-70, or at least the K-S2. When you update, you want to see improvements in every way and not find your old camera to be just as good. The K-3 is a more advanced camera, but not much better for low light, if at all.

The KP would provide the greatest degree of upgrade in the most number of ways over what you have- beyond a doubt. You'd be set for many years. (maybe check B&H) But since you are looking at a K-20D, that suggests a rather small budget. You might find a good deal on a left over new K-S2, which has been rather recently discontinued. Its low light performance is somewhat better than the K-x and you get a better-built body, a 100% VF, weather sealing (WR), a swing-out articulating rear LCD screen, better resolution, both thumb and finger control dials for better handling and ergonomics, with the brand-exclusive full Pentax Hyper System operational control capability, and numerous other updates. And you'd have a brand new camera. I have one as my lightest, smallest body alternative to my KP and K-5 IIs. It replaces my old K-r, and is much more camera. It is not in the league of performance or build of my KP, but it is a nice camera indeed, takes very impressive, high-quality images, and I am never disappointed in using it. (maybe check Amazon)

When you get your new camera, whichever model, be sure to go to the custom image menu and set sharpening to "F" for Fine sharpening at least in the "Bright" and "Natural" categories, for best detail in your images.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-03-2018 at 01:29 PM.
01-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not really, the K20 is kind of a step backwards, though you do get a nicer build quality.

Minimally I'd recommend the K-5, though a K-70 (the current entry-level model) is super nice and also an amazing value. The older K-S2 might be a bit cheaper but it'll also be harder to find new, and the image quality isn't as good (though still better than that of the K-5 if you factor in all the new features).
I agree those would be nice picks.

If you buy new and want more than entry level, I would also recommend a K-3II.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-03-2018 at 06:15 PM.
01-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'd say no, in general the K20 isn't an upgrade. It's older and noisier. The one advantage I see is illuminated focus points in the viewfinder which the K-x does not have.
Also, it's going to be considerably bigger and heavier which I don't usually want in a travel camera.

My favorite Pentax body for travel is the K-S2. Compact, WR, lots of good features, flip screen, responsive. I lost mine and I miss it.
Or a K-30, 50, or 70. The 70 being the best of those three. If I were going to buy a travel body right now I'd get a K-70 or K-S2, depending on which was a better deal.

One final consideration is if you like being able to use AA batteries. If that is important to you, the K-S1 might be more your style.
I hate the AA batteries in my current camera, they don't last at all. It's my main reason for wanting to upgrade actually.

---------- Post added 01-03-18 at 01:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
don't know the OP's budget

but B & H is still advertising its combo of the Pentax K 3 II + the Pentax battery grip for $836.95

which is about $7.00 more that buying the Pentax k 3 II only

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video
Im not opposed to putting out more money to buy new, just thought if I could find something gently used for a step up and good deal that it would be worth considering.

I didn't do any research when I bought my current camera when I was 18, and am trying to do things differently this time around.

I bought a Pentax because my mom had 6 or 7 old lenses that she figured would be compatible, I ended up going for the best i could afford at the time. When I asked the camera shop worker if the lenses would be compatible he said no, I ended up throwing them away. I was heartbroken when I found out last year that for a few bucks I could buy an adapter off amazon to make them work.
01-03-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually you didn't even need an adapter to make the old lenses work (assuming they are 35mm film lenses). I'm sad about that too!
So don't get a K-S1! I did find Eneloop rechargables worked great in my K-x if you need better batteries in the mean time.

If you can buy new and want small, get a K-70 or KP. The KP looks cool but I think the K-70 seems like a much better value. (I have neither)
If you want higher resolution and/or sturdy, get a K-3 or K-3 II. I still have my K-3 from when they first came out and it's still chugging along. Sturdy and durable but not huge which I appreciate.
01-03-2018, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #14
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a K-20D, K-x, and K-5 for theatre photos--and as regards image quality, I consider the K-5 and K-x to be about equal, and the K-20D is quite a bit noisier. But I use the the K-5 and K-x at iso 400--they are basically iso-less (iso invarient) sensors, and the K-20D at iso 1600, and use Camera Raw.

Thus only as regards image quality, and only if you don't use much higher iso, and/or don't use JPG, I would think the K-5 is as good as/better than any other Pentax (excluding the K-1), and the K-x is almost** as good.

But setting aside image quality:
-- K-x is much smaller and allows AA batteries, but the K-x may suffer from problems with the e-dial not always working (mine has developed this).
-- The K-5 is much better in build quality and (professional) features.
-- And I gather later models (K-5 II, etc.) are improved in AF.
-- Finally the camera that fits your eye/hand best is very important (IMO) and that is very individual. Here I find the K-x is outstanding w/ a small wide angle lens, and not comfortable with a larger/longer focal length lens.
_____
** I don't use the k-x at iso lower than 400, but likely at lowest iso there would be a more noticeable difference between the K-5 and K-x.

Just saw your comment about AA batteries. I find the lithium AA to be very long lived, and light in weight. But if that is an issue then the K-r is apparently an equivalent low cost (on the order of $100.) option.

Last edited by dms; 01-03-2018 at 02:30 PM.
01-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There might be some K-S2's on the famous auction site. The line seems to be discontinued and there could possibly be some NOS/demos available from a reputable seller.

I was about to pull the trigger on one, but decided I wanted a used K-3 II instead.

Mods: I hope I haven't crossed over any lines regarding off site sales.

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 01:32 PM ----------

There might be some K-S2's on the famous auction site. The line seems to be discontinued and there could possibly be some NOS/demos available from a reputable seller.

I was about to pull the trigger on one, but decided I wanted a used K-3 II instead.

Mods: I hope I haven't crossed over any lines regarding off site sales.