Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 09:25 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do I love Pentax... Let me count the ways!

I have been a fan of Pentax since 1968. That's when my brother brought me back a Petri "A" range finder camera, from Viet Nam.

On my first day out, I witnessed a car accident. So, I took pictures of the scene... (Just like I'd seen it done in the movies) A week later, some guy knocked on my door asking me if I was the kid taking pictures? I said I was, he said he would buy them... When I asked how much he would pay, he said "I'll give you $5 for the pictures and negatives..." I was stunned! But, my dad overheard the conversation and said no...
I told the man, he could have the pictures for $5, (after all, they cost me $1.86 to get developed...) but, he insisted on the negatives too...
I told him I was saving up for a "real" 35mm camera, you know with a single lens reflex prism...? So he asked, "how much have you got saved"? When I told him "$15" he laughed! He said, "you've got a long way to go"!
But, thanks to my dad, I held firm on the negatives and the man offered me $50 for all the pictures and negatives, so I took it! I went straight down to my local Ricoh photo shop (yes we had on in town...) They where supplied by "Ponder and Best" and sold mostly "Vivitar", "Bell & Howell" and "Honeywell", but, they also just started to carry Pentax too. I put a deposit down on a brand new Pentax Spotmatic kit! (Camera, 50mm lens, leather case, hot shoe flash, lens cleaning kit and camera bag... $110.00!) I got it all paid off by September and started shooting (and developing) 35mm film from a brand new Pentax SLR for the kids at school... (I was the cool kid with that SLR..!)

So fast forward to college, the service, a part time career as an industrial photographer and I have stuck with Pentax ever since... (And, I still have my brass body "K-X"...)

But, today, I have a Pentax K-20D (Yeah, I know... all of you guys who have K-7's 3's and 1's can't relate...) But I love it... And the reason...? Days like today! 22 degrees and blizzard conditions!
So, how many ways do I love my Pentax...? At least 72... Because that's how many weather seals are inside this camera!

Last edited by bobphoenix; 01-04-2018 at 11:24 AM.
01-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the Post! It is very similar to my experience! Your picture is also inspiring. However, I would watch out for the that lens a bit. Unlike the K-20, the lens doesn's seem to be WR.
01-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Love the Post! It is very similar to my experience! Your picture is also inspiring. However, I would watch out for the that lens a bit. Unlike the K-20, the lens doesn's seem to be WR.
What he said.^
A DA 18-135 WR (or 16-85) is in order.
I used to love my K-20D, until I got a K-5. My big chance for a big score (I asked a bus driver to stop on an overpass to photograph a fuel tanker that had turned over and burst into flames on a 6 lane divided highway) I hadn't checked to make sure the film was advancing and in the excitement forgot to notice the film rewind lever wasn't rotating as I advanced the film. That led to a huge disappointment when I got home. It was a heck of a way to learn a lesson. That would have been in '67 with a Pentax SV.

Last edited by normhead; 01-04-2018 at 10:13 AM.
01-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Great story, but the dates seem off.

Received Petri in 1968.
First day out, presumably still 1968, (possibly 1969).
A week later, (still 1968/1969).
Went to camera shop, (still 1968/1969).
Paid off K1000 by September, (presumably of the same year, still 1968/1969).

But the K1000 was introduced in 1976 !?

BTW, did you ever find out who wanted the photos? Driver in the accident, or lawyer?

01-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Great story, but the dates seem off.

Received Petri in 1968.
First day out, presumably still 1968, (possibly 1969).
A week later, (still 1968/1969).
Went to camera shop, (still 1968/1969).
Paid off K1000 by September, (presumably of the same year, still 1968/1969).

But the K1000 was introduced in 1976 !?

BTW, did you ever find out who wanted the photos? Driver in the accident, or lawyer?
Oops! Your' 100% correct... it was my Honeywell Spotmatic with the M42 screw mount lens...
The K1000 came years later, when I was in the service and we had R&R in someplace foreign... it was a bargain too...

(Thanks for the correction - So noted and updated...)

BTW: I kept the Spotmatic and lens for many years and at one point I had a machinist make me an M42 screw mount lens board for my enlarger and used the lens for enlarging...
01-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This is a great story, and a great way to happen into being a Pentax owner at such an early time, so you've seen an amazing chain of events in their history. I am a retired judicial clerk and judge's manager, and having seen countless cases come through, I am rather curious if you ever found out who the man was that bought your photos and negs, and paid for your first professional experience! Obviously, someone was out to prove something, and you were Johnny on the Spot-matic!

One thing that might indicate that someone could have been trying to cover up the truth is that he never asked you what you saw happen and if you would be willing to testify, and therefore simply wanted the evidence to destroy it.

I have been a Pentax user (after 6 years with a Vivitar screw-mount SLR) since about 1982 (ME Super), and have been with them ever since. I am in full agreement with your sentiments!

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-04-2018 at 02:01 PM.
01-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes I get envious of an advancement by another company, but my original Pentax (pre-S!) got me hooked. I have tried 3rd party lenses but they never had the snap for me. Sooner or later Pentax caught up, and now Ricoh, and my K-3 handles my Tak 55/1.8 with original Pentax M42-K adapter and my M 400/5.6 just fine.

Pentax since 1961*. An old stick in the mud, I guess.

* Bought the original in a pawn shop with 55/2.2 preset lens.
01-05-2018, 12:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great story Bob! My Dad is now 96, but when I ask him about his cameras (mostly Kodaks) from before I was born (1938-1959), he doesn't remember.

My first two cameras were Yashica (1972), then Minolta, and didn't get my first Pentax (645) until 1986. In '89, I drove off and on road from California to Mexico through the Sonora Desert for two weeks. Although I already had my Nikon F3HP by then, I took an indestructible K1000 with me instead.

Hope you and everyone stays safe during this 'bomb cyclone' hitting your region. My son will be returning back to college in Rochester, NY, next week (with his K-50). Hats off to you snowbirds that don't fly south....even if you could.

01-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Great story Bob! My Dad is now 96, but when I ask him about his cameras (mostly Kodaks) from before I was born (1938-1959), he doesn't remember.

My first two cameras were Yashica (1972), then Minolta, and didn't get my first Pentax (645) until 1986. In '89, I drove off and on road from California to Mexico through the Sonora Desert for two weeks. Although I already had my Nikon F3HP by then, I took an indestructible K1000 with me instead.

Hope you and everyone stays safe during this 'bomb cyclone' hitting your region. My son will be returning back to college in Rochester, NY, next week (with his K-50). Hats off to you snowbirds that don't fly south....even if you could.
Similar sentiments to Bobphoenix but not exactly the same path. First camera - Petri and I believe I sold it soon after I spotted my first Pentax, an Asahi Spotmatic. It was stolen from my house in 1977. I used the insurance money to buy an ME with an M 50 1.4 and an M 135. Later on a PZ1P which is in a tie for my favorite Pentax camera with my current K3II. My "association" with Pentax is longer than with any company of any type I can think of. REI is second by a few years.