Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 04:17 PM - 3 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

P.S. Batteries. Make sure you have extras and/or a travel charger that works with the local outlets.

01-05-2018, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #62

I agree with Alex645; the K30, the 18-55 and the 35mm.

My day to day camera is my old K20, which is set up for manual focus; Katzeye screen and eyepiece magnifier. I take a Tamron 24mm f/2.5 Adaptall 2 and a 50mm f/1.4 A series and it can fit in a small bag. Sometimes it's the K3 and the 16-50 f/2.8, depends on my mood, but it's bulkier and heavier. In a slightly bigger bag I can also take a flashgun and the Pentax adaptors and lead that allow off camera flash with the camera's flash raised for fill. Taking a flash makes you much more versatile.

Apart from these items, I can choose from:
10-17 fisheye
12-24 wide
28-105 Sigma (it's crap on digital so I don't use it)
80-210 Adaptall 2

In practise, I don't use long lenses very much.
01-05-2018, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #63
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went on a two month vacation through Central Europe (Germany, Slovenia, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland) to France and Great Britain (England and Scotland). I took:
K-3II
16-50mm DA*
50-135mm DA*
Bower 8mm

Laptop (circa 2008 running Windows 10 Pro and Lightroom 6) and bought a 512MB SSD for image storage.
Four batteries plus charger.

Four 32GB SD cards where a days images were copied to the SSD, except for one day and I managed to recover those images a month and a half later. I really don't like it when my "process" gets all messed up.

My bag had its usual complement of "stuff", X-Rite color target, 18% grey card, flashlight, microfiber cloth (carry a big one since finding towels to wipe off wet cameras/lenses can be a pain), faux lens blower (one of those little things with a brush attached), Lens Pen and notebook with a pencil. I also took a "Ultra Pod" table top tripod that never left the suitcase.

I returned with a little over 6K images.

Anything I would do different? Yes, carry two external drives and seriously think about taking only two lenses. We traveled by walking and trains for the most part (drove in France and GB) so carrying a lot of equipment on public transportation can get to be an exercise in frustration. We carried four bags at the end and that was as much as we could get away with. Leave the tripod home and you really don't need a flash.

Last edited by PDL; 01-05-2018 at 06:45 PM. Reason: SD cards and one more country
01-05-2018, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #64
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I went on a two month vacation through Central Europe (Germany, Slovenia, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland) to France and Great Britain (England and Scotland). I took:
K-3II
16-50mm DA*
50-135mm DA*
Bower 8mm

Laptop (circa 2008 running Windows 10 Pro and Lightroom 6) and bought a 512MB SSD for image storage.
Four batteries plus charger.

Four 32GB SD cards where a days images were copied to the SSD, except for one day and I managed to recover those images a month and a half later. I really don't like it when my "process" gets all messed up.

My bag had its usual complement of "stuff", X-Rite color target, 18% grey card, flashlight, microfiber cloth (carry a big one since finding towels to wipe off wet cameras/lenses can be a pain), faux lens blower (one of those little things with a brush attached), Lens Pen and notebook with a pencil. I also took a "Ultra Pod" table top tripod that never left the suitcase.

I returned with a little over 6K images.

Anything I would do different? Yes, carry two external drives and seriously think about taking only two lenses. We traveled by walking and trains for the most part (drove in France and GB) so carrying a lot of equipment on public transportation can get to be an exercise in frustration. We carried four bags at the end and that was as much as we could get away with. Leave the tripod home and you really don't need a flash.
I think a lot depends on your planned activities - how much gear will you be hauling around?

in our long vacations, I carry a lot of equipment, knowing that most of the time the vast amount of it will be in the vehicle we are touring in while we are either in the vehicle or very near it.

if we are walking, then the excess gear stays in a location as secure as possible.

and I make sure before leaving home that the insurance policies will cover lost, theft and damage

so the weight factor is important only for carrying the back pack and its load along with any other carry on items to the ticket counter and to the gate at the air ports

I'm lazy and out of shape and old enough to have given up impressing others unnecessarily

so the cost of the rental cart, if I can't find one abandoned, isn't too much

YMMV

01-05-2018, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also brought something like this... Shop Anti-Theft Travel Safe | Pacsafe

Attached to the radiator it was where medicines and laptops stayed when we were out of our room. Not perfect security, but where no safe exists better than nothing.
01-06-2018, 01:01 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am planning to take the K30, 18-135 and, if I get one in time 10-17. They will all be out with me when I leave the hotel room. I have never previously checked to see if my camera equipment is covered but I will. We buy good travel insurance so it should be but checking is a good suggestion
01-06-2018, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #67

I was in Seville just a few days ago. I had the Pentax KP and the Sigma 17-70mm lens. However, the ideal lens for my trip would have been the Pentax 16-85mm lens. I found that a slightly wider and longer focal length would be perfect. The KP was great especially inside the world largest Cathedral where you will need a quite camera with great low light performance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-06-2018, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course the focal lengths you'll "need" depend on your perception and experience with lenses offering these focal lengths.

I checked my pictures I made using K-5 plus DA18-135 some years ago in Siena, Italy - similar terrain like Seville I guess.

My image catalogue shows for that trip that I used 18 up to 88 mm (@APSC) a lot, a few above. 1.5 years ago I bought the DA55-300PLM that stretched my perception in the way that I now also photograph more compressed and detail views using longer focal lengths - not only in nature but also in cities and of course my DA15 gets some attention too.

So relying on a 18-55mm FL lens or less would be a bit restricting, 16-85 mm would be the least, 10-17 < 15 a new experience.
01-06-2018, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #69
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am planning to take the K30, 18-135 and, if I get one in time 10-17. They will all be out with me when I leave the hotel room. I have never previously checked to see if my camera equipment is covered but I will. We buy good travel insurance so it should be but checking is a good suggestion
checking your travel insurance is a good idea but at least on this side of the pond, it is either your home insurance or auto insurance that might have the coverage, I have an additional " personal article " insurance rider to cover such items over and above such coverage

some one mentioned something called " inland marine " policy as a possible idea

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...ml#post4150911

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-06-2018 at 04:12 AM.
02-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #70

I'm headed to Seville and will have access to the Pentax K1 with the 24-70/2.8 and the 15-30/2.8. Also the Limiteds 31/1.8, 77/1.8 and the Macro 100/2.8.
I also have access to the Nikon 24-120/4VR and the 14-24/2.8 and 58/1.4G.

I prefer the resolution and controls of the K1. Nicer pictures sans AA filter.
The D750 has better high ISO performance, but no VR built-in. Autofocus is faster but of no tangible benefit for non-action shots.

My possible combos are:
1. Pentax K1 + 24-70/2.8 + 15-30/2.8 (perhaps the 31/1.8)
2. Nikon D750 + 24-120/4 + 14-24/2.8
Both with battery grips.

Which setup should I bring?
I'll be walking around the city.
How's the crime rate?
02-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sofaking Quote
I'm headed to Seville and will have access to the Pentax K1 with the 24-70/2.8 and the 15-30/2.8. Also the Limiteds 31/1.8, 77/1.8 and the Macro 100/2.8.
I also have access to the Nikon 24-120/4VR and the 14-24/2.8 and 58/1.4G.

I prefer the resolution and controls of the K1. Nicer pictures sans AA filter.
The D750 has better high ISO performance, but no VR built-in. Autofocus is faster but of no tangible benefit for non-action shots.

My possible combos are:
1. Pentax K1 + 24-70/2.8 + 15-30/2.8 (perhaps the 31/1.8)
2. Nikon D750 + 24-120/4 + 14-24/2.8
Both with battery grips.

Which setup should I bring?
I'll be walking around the city.
How's the crime rate?
When traveling light I generally do NOT take the 15-30! If it were me, I'd take my Rokinon 14/2.8 in its place.
02-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 40XS and K-30 would provide grreat results in a light and compact package, i use this al the time, but especially for sitting in a cafe on a town square drinking a coffee and watching people, maybe taking a few streets shots as the world passes by. Even in close quarters, that little lens is not going to hit someone nearby in the head while you are shooting. So, whatever you choose for your day trip walk around lens, this little gem should always be tucked away in a corner of your bag.

Last edited by robgski; 01-23-2019 at 04:30 AM.
02-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #73
Veteran Member

My travel kit:
OMD EM10 ii 12-50, 40-150, 25mm, 45mm

Thing weighs nothing and fits in a bag that would contain the K3 and 16-50.

Whole kit goes for what one good FF lens would cost.
02-03-2018, 12:45 AM   #74
Pentaxian

If I had to travel light I would go with either:

K3 + Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8
Fujifilm X-M1 + 35mmf/1.4 & 18mm f/2

The second option would be smaller and lighter and would allow me to use primes, while the first option would provide the convenience of a fast zoom and the Pentax's more advanced feature set.

If I were in you position I would choose the K30 plus DA 35/2.4 and the 18-55mm kit lens. That way I'd have a decent quality prime to use as my main lens but have a zoom for wider or longer shots and in case the weather got bad (not likely in Seville).

Don't buy a super zoom as the vast majority are not great optically. The exception may be the 16-85mm but that's really expensive. You'd be better off with a fast standard zoom like the Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. They have less range but I think the fast aperture gives more flexibility than an extended focal range.

Seville is very nice and you're unlikely to have much use for a telephoto lens there as most of it's charm is in the small streets. You may be able to get away with hanging your camera over your shoulder, it therefore doesn't count as part of your weight allowance or occupy space in your luggage.