Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When traveling light, really light, I take a shirt-pocket Panasonic LF1 with an extra battery & card. I've posted many images taken with it on various threads, nobody knows the difference SFAIK.

Below, three plants imaged with the Pana LF1 during our dog-walks.

Attached Images

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-05-2018 at 10:01 AM.
01-05-2018, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Out of the lenses you own today, I guess I'd grab that 18-55, because it's WR rated and it's not awful. My preference would be to get an 18-135 OR the Tamron 17-50. If I only have one lens with me and I'm traveling I grab my 18-135.
The second lens, if you want to bring a second with you, would be something wide. You mentioned buying the 10-17. I've never used it, it seems pretty cool, although I would go find another SMC DA 15 Ltd if it were me. I own one and love it. The 15 and the 18-135 is a great two lens crop kit.
I would try to bring a mini tripod as previously mentioned before I bring a second lens. I would also want an extra battery or two.
01-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Out of the lenses you own today, I guess I'd grab that 18-55, because it's WR rated and it's not awful. My preference would be to get an 18-135 OR the Tamron 17-50. If I only have one lens with me and I'm traveling I grab my 18-135.
The second lens, if you want to bring a second with you, would be something wide. You mentioned buying the 10-17. I've never used it, it seems pretty cool, although I would go find another SMC DA 15 Ltd if it were me. I own one and love it. The 15 and the 18-135 is a great two lens crop kit.
I would try to bring a mini tripod as previously mentioned before I bring a second lens. I would also want an extra battery or two.
I have just bought an 18-135, so my 18-55 & 50-200 are off to eBay with the Fuji hs20. A few people have suggested a 15mm, I think I need to price one up, especially as I have some cash left over as for batteries, I use eneloop pros in a cheapo battery holder. I need to buy a decent one as the one I have was just to test the theory
01-05-2018, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have just bought an 18-135, so my 18-55 & 50-200 are off to eBay with the Fuji hs20. A few people have suggested a 15mm, I think I need to price one up, especially as I have some cash left over
ISFA you're using an 18~135mm, you must be using APS-C. The Pentax 15MM would definitely be a great addition. It will provide a significantly greater FOV than the zoom at 18mm, it's incredibly compact, and it's good enough to have a cult following. Don't be dissuaded, a good used copy at a reasonable price will appear.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-05-2018 at 10:12 AM.
01-05-2018, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just bought an 18-135, so my 18-55 & 50-200 are off to eBay with the Fuji hs20. A few people have suggested a 15mm, I think I need to price one up, especially as I have some cash left over as for batteries, I use eneloop pros in a cheapo battery holder. I need to buy a decent one as the one I have was just to test the theory
Good choice. It's a Swiss Army knife of lenses.
The 15 is a great choice too!

But if your cash isn't plentiful enough, something like a Rokinon 14/2.8 or Rokinon 8/3.5 would be pretty good too. IQ is good but they are manual focus and quite a bit bigger than the DA15 so it's not as appropriate for going light but both Rokinon lenses are also faster.
01-05-2018, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed with WPRESTO. I honestly would hold out for a good copy of the SMC flavor instead of the current HD. That's actually exactly what I did when I bought mine a couple years ago.

I should probably stockpile a spare as much as I like the thing and know I can't get straight aperture blades if I bought a new one today.
01-05-2018, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #52

OK, question first. I will post the background/preamble after for anyone who wants to read it

You are going to Seville. You only have carry on luggage, I.e. 1 bag. You have to pack clothes for 5 days (those are the rules) so have very little room for camera equipment! what do you take? Edit: What would you take based on what kit YOU own? My collection is limited, I am dying to see what serious Pentaxians would put in their bags

Preamble

OK, as you may have guessed I am off to Seville. I considered buying a "jack of all trades" Sigma 24-300 but I wouldn't use it once I returned and the reviews were distinctly average. Thinking about this prompted the question which, knowing you guys, will give me all the answers I need :0) I have to decide between a good bridge camera or my lovely K30.

my options
Option 1
fuji hs20exr 16mp, raw & jpeg, 24-750mm equivalent lens, f2.8-f11

Option 2
K30 & a maximum of two lenses from
Smc da 18-55 wr
Smc da 50-200 we
Smc 100-300 f4.7
Smc da 35mm plastic fantastic
Pentax-m 135mm f3.5
Miranda vintage 24mm f2.8 manual
Smc da 10-17 (saving up for this baby)

I would prefer to take the K30 but don't intend to carry a bag of any great size. I like using primes so buying a hyperzoom feels like a false economy. OK, I could sell my 50-200 and my 100-300 but the weather resistant zoom is a useful thing to own, given our frequent rain throughout the year, and the 100-300 has given me some great results. (I know, symptoms of LBA). Also, I tend to go out with a particular focal length for that day and see what I get so the hyperzoom is cheating. So, given what I have, I need to decide what to take, and here we are. Hopefully this thread will get some interesting responses and at the same time, help me decide what to pack. I am absolutely fascinated to see what everyone would take.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers

And to everyone who read this far, I am truly sorry for putting you through my meanderings
I've recently been to Seville among other place in Spain as well. I took more than I needed. I used my K3 and Tamron 17-50 with the Sigma 10-20 pretty much 98% of the time. In your case I'd say the best set would be K30, the 18-55 and I'd spring instead for the Sigma 10-20 f3.5. I wouldn't take the fisheye. If you can't get the Sigma then the K30 and the 18-55 and maybe the Da 35 if you wish. You won't likely need a telephoto but you will be missing a good wide angle and that you will miss.

01-05-2018, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the suggestion of the Samyang (etc) 14mm f2.8. Wide, fast, good cost/quality ratio as long as you get a good copy. I've never owned it and I really don't love manually focusing lenses on my digital camera. But I could see low light and wide requirements being a real thing on a trip like this. And when you aren't using it in low light, set it to f8 and be there.
01-05-2018, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I like the suggestion of the Samyang (etc) 14mm f2.8. Wide, fast, good cost/quality ratio as long as you get a good copy. I've never owned it and I really don't love manually focusing lenses on my digital camera. But I could see low light and wide requirements being a real thing on a trip like this. And when you aren't using it in low light, set it to f8 and be there.
Yeah, the 8mm is hard to get out of focus, the DOF is so deep, especially when stopped down a bit. I do a little de-fishing on it for architecture but the IQ is surprisingly good for a lens I paid less than $250 for.
01-05-2018, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #55
Forum Member

For a city trip to Seville I would travel (very) light. Last time I’ve been there in May (spring) it was already mid-high 30s (Celsius). Summers can be stinkin’ hot. Beautiful light and many interesting photographic oppertunities. I took only two limiteds: a DA15 for architecture, narrow alleys, vistas, cathedrals and Plaza Espanya and a DA70 for closeups of my kids and street candids. I did not need any tele, but wasn’t looking for wildlife ;-) Guess a wide to medium zoom would do the job as well (eg 17-70mm). Most of all: enjoy the atmosphere
01-05-2018, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is an entire thread that shows off how good the 18-135 is in almost all situations, so do not worry about it not being your walk-around lens. With you K-30 you can easily bump the ISO to 1600 in low light conditions and get great results. I assume you are going to spend most ofyour time walking around, not stopping to change lenses, nor dragging a tripod. enjoy your trip!
01-05-2018, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

With your gear, I would say K-30 with 18-55 WR, assuming it can fit into your bag with everything else. Practice packing your bag in advance to make sure it fits. If there's more space maybe add the DA 35 for better sharpness and low light when needed.

I have never been to Seville. My understanding is it's an old city, narrow streets, lots of old architecture. I'd expect to use wide angle and no telephoto.

With my gear, 1 carry-on bag with clothes for 5 days leaves little space for a camera. I would take my m4/3 Panasonic GX-85 with 12-32 (24-64 equivalent). I would consider buying a wider lens before my trip. I like night photography so I would try to fit my gorillapod mini tripod into the bag. Add a plastic bag rain cover because that camera isn't weather sealed.

If I brought Pentax gear instead of the m4/3 kit: My K-5 and DA 15 Limited is my smallest Pentax combo, and I might add the small 18-55 WR for rain and when I needed more reach. Or maybe just the K-5 plus DA* 16-50; it's a bigger lens but would free me from lens changes, and I would would absolutely have to test packing in advance.
01-05-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #58
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

how brave are you?

if you are willing to try to cushion your lenses in some fashion ( thick socks or bubble wrap or both comes to mind ) and you don't mind a multi pocketed vest

you might consider using one to carry on your camera and/or lenses

I have an old Cabela's multi pocket vest which I can place lenses into, I put it through the scanner and wear onto the plane, it then goes carefully underneath the seat ahead of mine and I make sure that I don't kick it.

although I never have asked, I guess I could ask for a pillow/blanket from the attendant and use that as additional cushioning

WARNING, the vest will get heavy very fast
01-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
how brave are you?

if you are willing to try to cushion your lenses in some fashion ( thick socks or bubble wrap or both comes to mind ) and you don't mind a multi pocketed vest

you might consider using one to carry on your camera and/or lenses

I have an old Cabela's multi pocket vest which I can place lenses into, I put it through the scanner and wear onto the plane, it then goes carefully underneath the seat ahead of mine and I make sure that I don't kick it.

although I never have asked, I guess I could ask for a pillow/blanket from the attendant and use that as additional cushioning

WARNING, the vest will get heavy very fast
Poachers pockets :0) I could wrap lenses in socks and underwear on the way out, however on the way back.........erm!

---------- Post added 01-05-18 at 01:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
When traveling light, really light, I take a shirt-pocket Panasonic LF1 with an extra battery & card. I've posted many images taken with it on various threads, nobody knows the difference SFAIK.

Below, three plants imaged with the Pana LF1 during our dog-walks.

Fantastic colours

Is the bottom one a triffid? (Sci-fi reference)
01-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #60
Pentaxian

We went on a trip to NL this past years. Packed relatively light for us. My carry on bag included my K5 body, my 18-135 lens, my 55-300 lens and my 360 flash, along with some memory cards and AA batteries that was pretty well it.

For the most part, just used the 18-135 lens...has a good general purpose range. Might do it again, but just take the K5, 18-135 and flash.