Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #1

Samsung to release micro 4/3 competitor

According to the following article, Samsung will release a bridge camera with a new lens mount by 2010 to compete with the micro 4/3. The 14mp Samsung APS-C sensor will be used in this bridge camera

New interchangeable lens system compact digital camera system on the way

If Samsung releases a new lens mount, could this mount be the prelude to its own DSLR camera system?

08-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd bet it'd be a hybrid K mount if anything...making a new mount and new lenses by themselves would be nuts...
08-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
If Samsung releases a new lens mount, could this mount be the prelude to its own DSLR camera system?
While they have rights to the K mount I really cannot see them doing away with it in favour of their own while there are plenty of Pentax users out there willing to go Samsung if they came out with a camera to rival the newer Canon/Nikon bodies. (Personally I would have no worries using a Samsung body over Pentax if it were better).
08-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I can imagine that the Samsung will have a mount similar to the K-mount but with a shorter registration distance. Samsung will release it with eg a 18-105 zoom, but I can imagine that Pentax releases something similar with an adaptor which increases the registration distance and allow for the mounting of traditional pancakes and eg the 18-55.

I think the future Kx000 will be an EVF compact camera with K-mount and adaptor and a lot of P&S technology like live view and contrast detect AF. I'll buy such a thing to replace my Panasonic TZ3 P&S.

08-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Shorter registration distance would be good...because then you could still use SLR K-mount lenses on it.

At least I hope.
08-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
I think the future Kx000 will be an EVF compact camera with K-mount and adaptor and a lot of P&S technology like live view and contrast detect AF. I'll buy such a thing to replace my Panasonic TZ3 P&S.
That would be a real exciting release if the Kx000D is an EVIL. Otherwise it would be just a boring release like the Canon 1000D.

Edit: Oh wait they talk about spring 2010!
08-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Although we want to make the new system affordable, we are concentrating on achieving professional quality with this system. The most important point is that this is very successful in the market. A difference between Samsung's system and Micro Four Thirds will be that Samsung will have a much bigger sensor.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I know what compact camera I'll wait for.
08-31-2008, 01:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't think those digital rangefinder with mounts are going to be successful.

Just like history told, rangefinders with interchangable lenses would not be going to be popular and dominant in the market for enthusiasts. They could be a niche product range for a particular group of people, but not be dominant in the market for most.

The same issues and concerns still apply for the main reason that will again hinder its success, i.e., no optical viewfinding thro-the-lens! Yes, LiveView is going to help and better than before in the film age, but then LV is not preferred to be used for ALL times for most advanced amateurs. If LV and EVF are used, why not buy prosumer DCs?

In fact, minimised DSLR bodies in APS-C format is already light and compact and the differentiation in the micro 4-3 to those minimised APS-C like the D60 will not be huge. Again, if we want even smaller digital cameras, why not go prosumers. The current LX3 or Fuji DCs with EVFs are going to do the job. If we are going to have larger sensors with optical finders to do more serious jobs, a optical DSLR is needed!

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
According to the following article, Samsung will release a bridge camera with a new lens mount by 2010 to compete with the micro 4/3. The 14mp Samsung APS-C sensor will be used in this bridge camera

New interchangeable lens system compact digital camera system on the way

08-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Have you ever used a Yashica Electro? Nothing snaps into focus like that does...not my f/2.5 macro (snappiest lens I have) nor the f/1.4. The GSN leaves no doubt as to when it's in focus.

Rangefinders went their way due to the introduction of the P&S camera...mind you, most of them still in RF format but auto focus/exposure. I know sure as sh*t I don't look through the lens of my Leica C2.

Oh wait! That's right. Only SLRs show the view through the lens

I sold my slim camera once I got my first SLR. The image quality doesn't come close, and that's why I still don't have a P&S.

I for one will be waiting for whatever Samsung/Pentax puts out. So long as it's cheaper than the DP1, has better high ISO control, and doesn't have any "buggy" issues. The S/P names are one reason I want it since I really do like their products--even beyond cameras, but it's mostly for the APS-C sensor
09-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Just like history told, rangefinders with interchangable lenses would not be going to be popular and dominant in the market for enthusiasts. They could be a niche product range for a particular group of people, but not be dominant in the market for most.

I think there is a difference between the rangefinders with interchangable lenses and what is being proposed here. Essentially that rangefinders always had some sort of parallax problem, not so with this. And also the view will zoom with the lens and show 100% of what is being seen by the lens ...none of those features were available with the rangefinders of old.

QuoteQuote:
The same issues and concerns still apply for the main reason that will again hinder its success, i.e., no optical viewfinding thro-the-lens! Yes, LiveView is going to help and better than before in the film age, but then LV is not preferred to be used for ALL times for most advanced amateurs. If LV and EVF are used, why not buy prosumer DCs?

Again, not sure if no optical viewfinder is such a big thing today ...have you seen how most folks use their P&S camera's ...people have become used to framing their pictures on a 2.5" to 3" LCD screen. I read even some large format users are using P&S cameras to preview their images instead of the polaroids used in the past.

QuoteQuote:
In fact, minimised DSLR bodies in APS-C format is already light and compact and the differentiation in the micro 4-3 to those minimised APS-C like the D60 will not be huge. Again, if we want even smaller digital cameras, why not go prosumers. The current LX3 or Fuji DCs with EVFs are going to do the job. If we are going to have larger sensors with optical finders to do more serious jobs, a optical DSLR is needed!

Well as small as some compact APS DSLRs have become, removing the mirror box will make them even more compact. And I don't think the best of the existing models of compact cameras, such as t he LX3, G9 etc., will offer the image quality with their small sensors.

I can see myself replacing my P&S with a micro APS format camera if it is about the size of the Sigma D1 and offers interchangeable lenses.

Mike.
09-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I surely don't know what samsung will bring in 2010 but i will certainly get the Panasonic successor of G1 with the HD video that will be available at 2009 spring.

IMO there is no meaning of using an adaptor for utilizing the pentax pancakes with such a small camera. That way you would lose the advantage of small size. The meaning of a small lightweight camera is to curry it everywhere in your pocket...

I shot many photos with p&s cameras because I simply could/would not curry my DS with me. And there are so many of them make me regret it I didn't curry with me my DS instead. Imagine the upcoming 20/1.7 attached on the G1... You could simply curry it everywhere and won't necessarily worry about the image QI...