Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Samsung to release Micro 4/3 competing system

Well this is news.

New interchangeable lens system compact digital camera system on the way news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

How will Pentax be involved. Are they involved already. What will it mean for the future of both brands in the business.

I think its a good move because there is only Olympus as a competitor confirmed in that system at the moment.

08-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #2

Samsung will have its own new lens mount, so it could be a first step for Samsung to wean itself off of the K mount. Pentax is probably not going to get involved except may be to design/redesign some lenses and to rebadge some Samsung bodies. Since there is no mirror box and optical viewfinder, Samsung should be fully capable of making the camera from start to finish.
08-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
YES!!!
It will be new micro-bayonet and new micro-lenses.
The 'Hybrid' system will run alongside the current GX DSLR series
08-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Seems like a smart move. The current K-mount is designed for 35mm format - there is wasted space in the current mount using APS-C. Logical move is to create a smaller mount for APS-C and the FF sensor for K-mount, bravo to Samsung. I just hope they follow through with the second part as well!

08-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
Samsung will have its own new lens mount, so it could be a first step for Samsung to wean itself off of the K mount.
This conclusion is pure speculation. As a matter of fact, any "Micro" system must have a somewhat smaller mount and about 1/2 registration distance or less. I.e., a new mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
The current K-mount is designed for 35mm format - there is wasted space in the current mount using APS-C. Logical move is to create a smaller mount for APS-C and the FF sensor for K-mount
Same. I.e., wrong conclusion.
The current K-mount is designed for 35mm format but is still of same size compared to the FourThirds mount designed for a 50% 35mm format! A mount designed for APS-C wouldn't have been significantly smaller as past engineers were more confident in mastering lens design with mounts the same size as the image circle.

K mount will continue to be the mount for SLR-type lenses, both APS-C and FF.

The new "Micro" mount will be for rangefinder-type lenses, fitting APS-C (and possibly even FF as nothing about this was said by Samsung).

Because Samsung GX line is K mount, we may expect a K-mount to "Micro" mount adapter from Samsung. Even if Pentax is not in party.

So, for the sake of simplicity, let's call the "Micro" mount Micro-K mount or just mK.
08-31-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

ooh i hope the pancakes can be mounted on these
09-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
ooh i hope the pancakes can be mounted on these
The pancakes would need an mK to K mount adapter. Please, read my previous post.

09-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The pancakes would need an mK to K mount adapter. Please, read my previous post.
Who made you teacher?
09-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote
Who made you teacher?
Nobody.

I thought I would help clarify things but obviously I don't. Thanks for pointing this out to me.
09-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
Voe
Veteran Member

Does anyone know what is the register distance to the sensor of the Micro 4/3thd mount and the new Samsung mount?