Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting, that adjusting service is how much? $179?

10-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Interesting, that adjusting service is how much? $179?
For $65 (According to their website) seems almost worth it, now if their screens were only less expensive

But $65 seems like a steal if i knew i could trust my focus screen and even use that as a guide to adjust my lenses with the K20D's focus adjustment, instead of shooting some chart.

Too bad i don't have $330 laying around right now, thanks for sharing your successful shimming experience.
10-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All this carry on would not be necessary if Pentax had a choice of screens as standard issue.
We are so tolerant !
Pete
10-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
All this carry on would not be necessary if Pentax had a choice of screens as standard issue.
We are so tolerant !
Pete
A Split-screen choice would increase cost a lot, since most people use the viewfinder for composition only, we get marginally calibrated screens, if you ask for a split screen and could tell focus being off so easily, they would have to spend more money on making the cam.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it just won't come free, so the katz-eye way is always there, plus you could be lucky and a $30 chinese one might just work for you out of the box.

And don't think this is a Pentax problem.

04-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
All fixed!

Katz eye confirmed the front-focus problem, swapped out the shim (was 0.35mm, now 0.25mm), and reinstalled the screen. Focus is now quite accurate -- if there's any error, it's too small for me to measure.
How much did it cost for you?
05-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I have just cured fron focus of my Katz Eye focussing screen.

Got calibration shims from CR Kennedy in Melbourne (people there are great!) and 0.20mm one have fitted just right.

Changing focusing screen calibration shims sounded scary for me, however it appeared very simple and obvious procedure. You must have two essential things for changing calibration shims:
1) good light
2) precision tweezer.

When you have tools, it's one minute easy job.
09-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I have just cured fron focus of my Katz Eye focussing screen.

Got calibration shims from CR Kennedy in Melbourne (people there are great!) and 0.20mm one have fitted just right.

Changing focusing screen calibration shims sounded scary for me, however it appeared very simple and obvious procedure. You must have two essential things for changing calibration shims:
1) good light
2) precision tweezer.

When you have tools, it's one minute easy job.
I just want to thank you for your contribution.
I have exactly the same problem on K20D ( front focusing with split screen ) and you encourage me to go for it.
In my case the focusing screen came from Focusing Screen and came with 2 plastic shims as well as with 2 set of tweezers (all nicely packed).
You can get some ideas of how front focus (ff) or back focus (bf) can be adjust and how it all works @ Focusing Screen--How to adjust focusing screen--
Unfortunately both shims that came with focusing screen are the same thickens 0.15mm.
I replaced original 0.30mm with the plastic one 0.15mm and it is almost perfect.
Now I can notice just very very slight back focusing, almost not worth worrying about it.
But I will order from CR Kennedy the 0.20mm one, i would like my "precious" K20D to have a metal shim the original one. (just hope they have them in Sydney)

Big thanks to Troyz for starting this thread and to every one for all your input

PS...!!! one more think.... In my opinion , thickness of different split focusing screens, have no affect on ff. or bf. !!!!!!! only thickness of shim dose!!!!
09-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I make my shims from 3M's clear plastic sheets that are used to make presentations to show on overhead projectors. If it is too thin, then I cut very thin strips from sticky lables and stick one layer to each leg of the shim.

I have put KatzEye style focusing screens from www.focusingscreens.com on both my K100D and K20D bodies.

Removing the original shim from K100D is very easy.

Removing the shim from K20D is more difficult. The shim has a latch of its own that keeps it from coming out. You have to lift the latch to remove the shim. And you have to lift the latch and slide the new shim under it.