Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

The current state of Pixel Shift and Adobe products

I've tried searching for this here and on Google, but there's a plethora of threads spanning many years and including many answers, none of which are as up-to-date as Lightroom CC Classic currently is.

So... in 2018, what is the current situation with Pixel Shift image post-processing? It seems like most of the recommendations have been to process through DCU and then continue normal workflow. Is this still necessary to get best results or has Adobe got their stuff together so they can be processed directly in Lightroom? I know this would leave out the option to apply motion correction, but in situations where it's not a benefit it would be faster to skip DCU.

01-09-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AyeYo Quote
I've tried searching for this here and on Google, but there's a plethora of threads spanning many years and including many answers, none of which are as up-to-date as Lightroom CC Classic currently is.

So... in 2018, what is the current situation with Pixel Shift image post-processing? It seems like most of the recommendations have been to process through DCU and then continue normal workflow. Is this still necessary to get best results or has Adobe got their stuff together so they can be processed directly in Lightroom? I know this would leave out the option to apply motion correction, but in situations where it's not a benefit it would be faster to skip DCU.
Best thing right now if there is motion in the image is to process through Raw Therapee, save file as a TIFF and then process from there. If there is no motion in the image, you can just go with Lightroom and it will be fine. Lightroom can combine the images, it just can't mask out motion on any of the images.

I don't personally like DCU very much as it is slow, freezes a lot, and doesn't allow much fine tuning with regard to the motion mask.
01-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Raw Therapee includes motion correction or are you using it to mask out motion manually? I have it, just never use it often enough to be familiar with it.
01-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Photoshop CS6 (not CC). It works fine, though I don't use pixel shift for non static subjects, so I don't know how it deals with movement.

01-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only use DCU5 these days for processing pixel shift, and it's simple to add into my current CC workflow (Bridge->Camera Raw->Photoshop): bring it into into DCU5's laboratory tab, export as TIFF and then continue with the workflow from the beginning. DCU does a fine job of motion correction and I personally prefer its output quality to that from RawTherapee, having tried both. YMMV.
01-09-2018, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Raw Therapee includes motion correction or are you using it to mask out motion manually? I have it, just never use it often enough to be familiar with it.
Raw Therapee has motion correction, both an auto feature and ability to do some manual tweaking of it. I like it pretty well.

This is a pixel shift image, pretty typical of results. Basically processed in Raw Therapee, took the tiff into Lightroom and tweaked it some more -- bumped shadows, probably put a GND on it digitally. There was some movement in the trees but RT took care of it pretty well.

01-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a nice photo!

01-10-2018, 02:04 AM   #8

Didn't know that RT was that good wis PS images! Now I really need to try it out.
Thanks for the information.

Rgds,
Gerd.