Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #1

Any other former Contax users now Pentax?

Back in the film days, I was a Contax guy. While everything was super expensive, the Zeiss optics and Contax workmanship was second to none.

My last Contax was the 167MT. What a joy that unit was. Most of the Contax line has either a leather-like or rubbery covering of the body which felt so good to hold.

Iím guessing Contax decided to fold the tents with the new digital formats, which is regrettable.

Thatís when I switched over to Pentax.

Attached Images

01-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No - but as a life-long Pentax guy I’ve recently bought a Contax RTS ll and RX and a couple CZ T* lenses.
01-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
RTS II and lots of Pentax with a few other goodies to boot.
01-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Never had a Contax, but back in the film days I would go to a camera dealer who handled Canikon, Pentax Leica, Hassleblad and Contax. They had some interesting Contax G models...rangefinders along the Leica style. Very nice looking.

I was interested in Pentax and Leica at the store.

01-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #5
Forum Member

Hi, I was a Contax user.
I started with Yashica and then moved to Contax, still have 167MT and Aria with a couple of fixed Zeiss.
My digital era started with K10D - the Pentax seemed to me most "ideologically" coherent after the Contax.
01-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MartinsB Quote
Hi, I was a Contax user.
I started with Yashica and then moved to Contax, still have 167MT and Aria with a couple of fixed Zeiss.
My digital era started with K10D - the Pentax seemed to me most "ideologically" coherent after the Contax.
I bet you had the Yashica FX-D, the cousin to the Contax 139. Fine cameras.

For some reason, I always tend to go with something a little different than "everyone else." I've been that way with houses, cars, retirement planning (haha), and cameras.

When Contax went away, I decided to go with another brand that most everyone else didn't use. Have no idea why but I've been decently pleased.
01-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #7

My dad got a contax 137 and some nice lenses around the time i got a pentax super a in the 80's. I bought a 137 just so i could use his lenses, and it was very good too. Now i use pentax digital slrs and modify the mount so contax lenses fit, because they are very good. Pentax and Contax share a lot of history together, including a failed initial launch of full frame digital; MZD and N digital, in 2000 - both 6Mpix Philips sensor.

Very glad the K1 has made it into my hands at last.

01-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's always the Adaptist camera mount replacement for those who want to use a Contact C/Y lens directly on their Pentax camera(s).

Pentax K+ Multi Mount (WR version) - Adaptist

Contax Yashica - Adaptist
01-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was given an old sigma 75-300 contax c/y. I bought an adapter which adds glass. It could just be my adapter but the colour rendition is really washed out. Shame. Lens + adapters (1 for micro 4/3) is now on eBay
01-13-2018, 03:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Had the 159MM and loved it. Zeiss lenses were very nice, cameras were fine feature wise, but 159MM was not durbale. The Yashica FX 2000 super was fun as well. I accumulated so much sand inside the camera that you could hear it when moving the camera left to right. My Contax/Yashica gear was stolen and was replaced by the Nikon F801s.
Talking Contax, we better say Kyocera. Kyocera still owns the rights on the name Contax which was originally a Zeiss brand. AF and digital killed the whole Zeiss-Kyocera system.