Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Have you picked up a 55-300 PLM yet? KAF4 at its best!
No, there is no official firmware KAF4 patch for the K-30, and as a computer professional, I am very conservative about software changes. My current plan is to save my pennies for a KP first instead.

---------- Post added 01-12-18 at 10:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Funny, but Canon have deliberately different mounts for their FF and APS cameras, to foil people from doing just that We are lucky to be Pentax users.
The Canon EF-S lenses {for APS only} protrude slightly into the mirror box; a FF mirror would hit them.

01-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
They went to all the trouble to remove the filter because it was inhibiting the performance of the camera. I own one. It's soft till you sharpen things up.
Your statement, "the K-5 has a very very strong anti-aliasing filter," is a clear example of hyperbole and, in my view, the above quote is yet another. While It is true that the function of an AA filter on the sensor in any camera is to soften the image slightly, the DPReview quote that the K-5 has a "comparatively weak AA filter" is also true, and that was my experience when I owned both a K-5 and a K-5 IIs.

There are plenty of direct comparison images available around the web for anyone interested in seeing the differences made by leaving out the AA filter when Pentax made the K-5 IIs. For the majority of shots there was a very small gain in image quality that many viewers might not even notice, but it was just significant enough to prove popular with photographers, such that all recent Pentax bodies have AA-filterless sensors.
01-13-2018, 04:12 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
I hate big lenses and that is why I chose Pentax. No I don't want a faster lens in UWA. I have a Samyang 14mm f2.8 and I would never hike with it, I hate using it and only use it for astro (which it isn't good at either because the true open aperture is too small, same will be true for the new Pentax 11-18). It needs a heavier tripod than the marvellous DA15 f4.

If I have a big heavy lens on then I'd need a heavier tripod than the super light compact one I have for hiking.

If I have to carry larger gear it will be 645 film format and the Pentax system is my compact system.

Besides angles less than 15mm/22.5mm FF aren't ideal (for me) for landscapes as everything becomes way too miniature.

I don't think I'll be wanting this lens as it doesn't suit my photography.

---------- Post added 01-11-18 at 07:41 PM ----------

Talking about lightweight/small gear and tripods...

When I need to go really light I bring the tiniest tripod, a little toy type about 4" long and cost £5 or so. I have used it with my K30/DA15 and DA40 with the astrotracer attached. Rested on a rock I have successfully used it for long exposures.

All the above in contrast to the Canon photographers I met in Tenerife (world's 3rd highest volcano) whom with their bulky gear, I thought were going on a 3 month expedition.

Again it is why I chose Pentax and never regretted it.
Zooms are just not going to be "small" even if they are APS-C and variable aperture. DA 20-40 or DA 12-24 are probably about as small as it gets with wide angle zooms. The 12-24 in particular seems to have a lot of praise -- the only things the DA 15 limited has over it are size and flare resistance.
01-13-2018, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The K-3 II + BG almost feels like it was made for my hand... maybe if the grips were slightly deeper. Putting aside all of the technomongery involved in the function of the camera, the ergonomics and haptics are more of a leap from the K-5 II than I would have imagined. Those aspects of the camera - plus the sensor - make it a joy to use.

I do, however, miss the silky shutter of the K-5 II. The K-3 II might not be any louder, but it doesn't sound quite the same.
Just the way I feel about my K-1 1 but I miss the K-3 frame rate sometimes. KP is a nice camera, but it is no substitute for K-3.

01-13-2018, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

They went to all the trouble to remove the filter [...]
The way I see it they saved themselves a lot of hassle by _not_ putting the AA filter in there. ☺
01-13-2018, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, there is no official firmware KAF4 patch for the K-30, and as a computer professional, I am very conservative about software changes. My current plan is to save my pennies for a KP first instead.

---------- Post added 01-12-18 at 10:48 PM ----------

The Canon EF-S lenses {for APS only} protrude slightly into the mirror box; a FF mirror would hit them.
Use the K50 v1.10 hackware on the K30. I installed it as have many others and it works as good if not better than the K30 v1.06 official last firmware update. My K30 doesn't freeze anymore. I don't have any KAF4 lenses but the hackware allows it. Ex software engineer!

---------- Post added 01-13-18 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Zooms are just not going to be "small" even if they are APS-C and variable aperture. DA 20-40 or DA 12-24 are probably about as small as it gets with wide angle zooms. The 12-24 in particular seems to have a lot of praise -- the only things the DA 15 limited has over it are size and flare resistance.
DA15 Ltd has 18cm minimum focussing distance versus 30cm on DA 12-24.

Higher resolution at f5.6, much less distortion and chromatic aberration, nicer sunbursts due to 7 blades, creamier bokeh (close-ups), higher contrast and micro-contrast, built in lens hood and fast AF.

The HD version has even higher contrast and micro-contrast, higher flare resistance and more natural colour (due to passing more of the visible light wavelengths through), also creamier bokeh due to the rounded blades.

The DA 12-24 is a great zoom and maintains higher resolution at more aperture settings but the DA15 has that Ltd pixie dust and that DA15 look that no other lens does. Even the guys who moved to the FF K1 said they miss it.

I think the newer 11-18 may get closer to it due to odd number of blades, shorter range, 15mm being close to the middle zoom range, and the HD coatings (which really work so good). They did a stellar job with the HD DA 20-40 Ltd, for example, out-resolving the FA31 f1.9 Ltd at 31mm.

APS-C is here to stay alright.
01-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #82
Veteran Member

One other little advantage I forgot about is the built in flash works with the DA15, it has proven so important to me in reaching over the lens without obstruction to light (filling-in) the foreground especially with backlighting. This has saved me umpteen times as I can never be bothered bringing a dedicated flash, mounting it/ unmounting it each time I take the camera out of my hiking rucksack. 😉

---------- Post added 01-13-18 at 04:24 PM ----------

Last edited by nocturnal; 01-13-2018 at 09:26 AM.
01-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Have you picked up a 55-300 PLM yet? KAF4 at its best!
Have you found out that there is a k50 firmware modified to work in the k30 that supports kaf4?

Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - PentaxForums.com
01-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I'm sorry but...

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Your statement, "the K-5 has a very very strong anti-aliasing filter," is a clear example of hyperbole and, in my view, the above quote is yet another. While It is true that the function of an AA filter on the sensor in any camera is to soften the image slightly, the DPReview quote that the K-5 has a "comparatively weak AA filter" is also true, and that was my experience when I owned both a K-5 and a K-5 IIs.

There are plenty of direct comparison images available around the web for anyone interested in seeing the differences made by leaving out the AA filter when Pentax made the K-5 IIs. For the majority of shots there was a very small gain in image quality that many viewers might not even notice, but it was just significant enough to prove popular with photographers, such that all recent Pentax bodies have AA-filterless sensors.
There was a lot of controversy surround this camera and this subject after subsequent models came out, on this and other forums; a TON of discussion, some of which I participated in. I remember it well; I wasn't just pulling stuff out of my ***; I was referring to the general consensus on these cameras at the time. Look it up.

You'll likely try to prove yourself right now and have the last word, so, OK, you're right, I don't know anything.

Sheesh,
Cameron
01-13-2018, 05:17 PM - 4 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

You'll likely try to prove yourself right now and have the last word, so, OK, you're right, I don't know anything.
Sheesh,
Cameron
A problem of using a web forum is that we do not know each other, and there are no clues from facial expressions, body language or tone of voice, to help us to understand each other. If you and I were having this discussion over a drink in a cafe or bar, I doubt that it would have produced the response quoted above.
01-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Have you found out that there is a k50 firmware modified to work in the k30 that supports kaf4?

Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - PentaxForums.com
There are links to it on this site. Firmware v1.10 which I installed on K30 last week.
09-30-2018, 12:15 AM   #87

I will admit that I found the K5 struggled with low light AF but I then changed to a K3. No issues. I am surprised that you have tried without success a huge range of lenses. Full frame lenses should and do in my opinion produce outstanding images because you generally use the sweet spot. I currently use the Sigma 17-70 C lens as my walk around lens! Great quality images super fast and accurate AF and cheap. I also have a range of Sigma lenses and excluding the bulk and weight am happy. (12-24 24-70 f2.8-70-200 f2.8 screw drive) I have 21, 35, 50 and 70 da and am very happy with the IQ. Maybe it’s time to for you to move brands as you don’t seem happy with any of your equipment!
09-30-2018, 05:37 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
There are links to it on this site. Firmware v1.10 which I installed on K30 last week.
Wow!!!!! Somebody please hack something so that I can use KAF4 on my k-5II!!! I bet Ricoh is trying to hide the k-5 series firmware update as majority of the owners won't buy a new camera. Please Ricoh,give us k-5 series owners an update to KAF4. 😀😀😀
09-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #89
Pentaxian

I have a K5. As a walk around lens I find my 18-135 very good, I have the 12-24...great wide angle, but not what I'd use as a walk around lens. I use this for buildings...exteriors and interiors and vintage machinery...hard to beat. I also have the A 35-105...very good, very heavy, built like a Mack truck and a Swiss watch if you get my drift.
10-01-2018, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

Short focus throw is needed to make AF as fast as possible, which sells a lot better than a long focus throw to allow accurate manual focusing.

I've used several walk-around, general purpose zooms on my K-3 and never felt that any of them didn't match the camera for IQ. Tamron and Sigma 17-50s plus Pentax 16-85mm, of which I've found the Sigma to be the best overall (though colours and exposure are much better on the 16-85mm). I prefer a good prime for walk-around and they're generally even better than the zooms.

I do get mis-focused shots sometimes, which is why I have the camera set up to zoom to 100% with one click of the rear dial to quickly check after taking a shot. No camera has perfect, infallible AF, but if you're having problems I suggest that you make very sure that the problem's not somewhere in the gear. Modern DSLRs are extremely sensitive to tiny mis-alignments so it's worth systematically looking at the focus errors and checking to see if fine-tuning the AF helps.