Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
In that case I won't quibble with them. The sharp part of the image circle of an APS-C lens will generally be smaller than for a FF lens, and I guess Canon don't want their FF cameras to be blamed for sub-optimal results due to an APS-C lens being used. But do their FF DSLRs allow Canon's legacy film lenses to be used, like Pentax do?
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
My impression was that Canon abandoned their legacy glass years ago when they designed their AF camera bodies. Pentax and Nikon were both in favor of inclusive designing. I would think, however, that modern Canon DSLRs will handle older Canon AF lenses.
Canon had two major mounts for film: Manual focus FL/FD mount, and Autofocus EF(EOS) mount.

FL/FD mount has a shorter register distance than EF mount, so even the film cameras could not easily adopt the old lenses.

I'm pretty sure that the digital EF mount cameras can take film-era EF mount lenses.

01-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #62
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience with the DA 17-70 and a K7 body has been so far rather good as for image quality. The issues I have with this lens is its inability to sometime reach focus at FL > 50 mm. Whether the culprit is the lens or the body is unclear but solving the issue consists in slightly holding the focus ring when focus by the SDM is ongoing. My understanding is that the focus point can be sometime inbetween one motor step so that the SDM motor is hunting back and forth without succes. Holding the ring causes a little offset allowing the SDM to focus.
The other issue just happened one month ago: the SDM motor failed after 7 years, exactly as my DA 60-250 two years ago...
01-12-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
In that case I won't quibble with them. The sharp part of the image circle of an APS-C lens will generally be smaller than for a FF lens, and I guess Canon don't want their FF cameras to be blamed for sub-optimal results due to an APS-C lens being used. But do their FF DSLRs allow Canon's legacy film lenses to be used, like Pentax do?
AFAIK - and my knowledge here is thin - Canon's legacy glass can be used on modern bodies on via a glassed adapter, so IMHO the answer is "no".

What really ticked off Canonites is the frequent mount changes. The 1970's saw Canon create the FD mount, which replaced the short-lived FL mount, and then a few years later create a "new" FD mount - which at least was backward-compatible - and then a decade later create the EF mount, which obsoleted all those fine and expensive FD lenses.

While not perfect, Pentax has done a far better job respecting the glass investment made by their users.
01-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What really ticked off Canonites is the frequent mount changes. The 1970's saw Canon create the FD mount, which replaced the short-lived FL mount, and then a few years later create a "new" FD mount - which at least was backward-compatible - and then a decade later create the EF mount, which obsoleted all those fine and expensive FD lenses.
Wait...I'm pretty sure FL lenses worked on FD mount cameras...and 'new FD' was still FD mount, but the lenses mounted more like a bayonet, in comparison to the breech-lock mechanism of FL/FD.

01-12-2018, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Wait...I'm pretty sure FL lenses worked on FD mount cameras...and 'new FD' was still FD mount, but the lenses mounted more like a bayonet, in comparison to the breech-lock mechanism of FL/FD.
They would mount, but they were stop down metering only. Kind of like using M42 on K-mount...
01-12-2018, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And we complain about the absent aperture lever feeler in the crippled KAF2 Mount.

.:
01-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Guess that's why they brought out the K5IIs...

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
I do not agree with ChromaNoise's views regarding Pentax DA lenses but also, although I no longer have a K-5, from experience I cannot accept this point from Cambo regarding its AA filter. In fact you can still read on-line the DPReview in-depth review of the K-5 which states, "Thanks to the camera's comparatively weak AA filter, the Pentax K-5 produces very good detail in both JPEG and RAW image modes."
They went to all the trouble to remove the filter because it was inhibiting the performance of the camera. I own one. It's soft till you sharpen things up.

Cheers,
Cameron

01-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Sorry that I wasn't clear - the issue is not going from FD to nFD, but going from nFD - the "new" mount - to EF in just a decade.

Of course there are pros and cons to each of the courses Canon and Pentax took... but I prefer Pentax's path.
01-12-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And we complain about the absent aperture lever feeler in the crippled KAF2 Mount.

.:
Well, it would be nice... can't we be just a little greedy?

But I ain't complainin' 'bout nuthin'... I'm still on honeymoon with my new K-3 II... what an amazing camera that is! No dead-end there, for sure!
01-12-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #70
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still on honeymoon with my new K-3 II... what an amazing camera that is!
Isn't it phenomenal?

I know there have been improvements to high ISO performance with the most recent models, but that aside, for APS-C format it's pretty much all the camera most people will ever need - including most of those who think they need more ...
01-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Isn't it phenomenal?

I know there have been improvements to high ISO performance with the most recent models, but that aside, for APS-C format it's pretty much all the camera most people will ever need - including most of those who think they need more ...
The K-3 II + BG almost feels like it was made for my hand... maybe if the grips were slightly deeper. Putting aside all of the technomongery involved in the function of the camera, the ergonomics and haptics are more of a leap from the K-5 II than I would have imagined. Those aspects of the camera - plus the sensor - make it a joy to use.

I do, however, miss the silky shutter of the K-5 II. The K-3 II might not be any louder, but it doesn't sound quite the same.
01-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They would mount, but they were stop down metering only. Kind of like using M42 on K-mount...
Right, they didn't lose any functionality.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

.:
And because of that, I've been confused more than once how to enable Av mode on Pentax's Film cameras...I expect another mode on the dial, or something, when all you have to do is change the aperture on the lens. Which...actually makes sense.

My only real gripe about the crippled mount is that K and M series lenses are annoying to meter -- since you have to use the green button to properly meter the lens.

Sorry that I wasn't clear - the issue is not going from FD to nFD, but going from nFD - the "new" mount - to EF in just a decade.

Of course there are pros and cons to each of the courses Canon and Pentax took... but I prefer Pentax's path.
Something pretty amazing about Pentax is that you can use virtually any lens designed for 35mm or larger, since the Asahiflex, (with the appropriate adapters for the non K variants) on a modern DSLR. --
  • M37
  • M42
  • 6x7
  • K
  • K-A
  • K-AF
01-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
My impression was that Canon abandoned their legacy glass years ago when they designed their AF camera bodies. Pentax and Nikon were both in favor of inclusive designing. I would think, however, that modern Canon DSLRs will handle older Canon AF lenses.
That's correct. EF predates digital.

Canon EF lens mount - Wikipedia
01-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #74
Pentaxian

In 1995 I switched from Pentax to Canon because my opinion was that the new Canon EF mount was seriously superior to what Nikon and Pentax were doing back then. The EF lenses I purchased for that, my last film camera, were used on the Digital Rebel I purchased next; they were totally compatible, other than the usual problem of needing different focal lengths with "crop" cameras than were appropriate with 35-mm cameras. I came back to Pentax in 2015, because I had issues with Rebel bodies, getting {ironically} a K-30, which has served me well for 32 months now {I got 18 months from my last Rebel}. I do hope Pentax releases more KAF4 lenses, because that seems to finally bring Pentax to what attracted me to Canon 22 years ago.

Last edited by reh321; 01-12-2018 at 08:32 PM. Reason: fix problem from cell phone entry
01-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In 1995 I switched from Pentax to Canon because my opinion was that the new Canon EF mount was seriously superior to what Nikon and Pentax were doing. The EF lenses I purchased for that, my last film camera, were used on the Digital Rebel I purchased next; they were totally compatible, other than the usual problem of needing different focal lengths with "crop" cameras than were appropriate with 35-mm cameras. I came back to Pentax in 2015, because I had issues with Rebel bodies, getting {ironically} a K-30. I do hope Pentax releases more KAF4 lenses, because that seems to finally bring Pentax to what attracted me to Canon 22 years ago.
Have you picked up a 55-300 PLM yet? KAF4 at its best!