Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have recently discovered that even decent rechargeable AA batteries suffer power fluctuations in cold weather! I will still use the AAs in my K30 but I am getting a spare lithium, just in case
Thanks for your account of that experience. It's more good information.

---------- Post added 01-10-18 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I started with a k100d, using eneloops (originally the standard "white ones", then later the high capacity XX ones) along with a smart charger. The performance was ok, and would gradually go down as the months passed. "Battery management" was a thing as I tried to keep my batteries refreshed and working optimally to keep the camera running. In cold weather, it would be a fumbly mess as I struggled to keep a warm set to cycle into the camera. Non-rechargeable lithiums perform much better, but are costly in the long run.

I now have a k5iis with the D-Li90 and cannot ever imagine using anything with a lesser battery. I have a 3rd party spare and the original that came with the camera. Even after 4 years, the original lasts absurdly long, generally a few weeks or even a month on a charge. One atypical usage for me had over 900 exposures in -10C, each 1 second long (time lapse) on one charge. After that, AA's in DSLR's are dead to me. I also have the grip for my k5iis, originally intended in part for the extra battery capacity but I'm struggling to come up with a use case that burns through 2 batteries in one session (your mileage may vary).
Many thanks for that: it seems that my affection for AA batteries, at least in the context of their use in Pentax DSLRs, may be misplaced.

01-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DLi90 that came with my K5 when bought new in 2011 is still going strong, and has never caused any concern. On the other hand, my experience with AA batteries in digital cameras has been one of pain. Move on.
01-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The DLi90 that came with my K5 when bought new in 2011 is still going strong, and has never caused any concern. On the other hand, my experience with AA batteries in digital cameras has been one of pain. Move on.
Thank you for sharing that. It seems that AA battery aficionados are not thick on the ground, at least in this forum and context.
01-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The batteries fit a wide range of models.
And an aftermarket one that fits my K-70 is only $10, it would cost you more to buy 4x rechargeable AA batteries.