Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Recommend Pentax digital SLR that takes AA batteries

Hello all, and Happy New Year to you.

I am in a Pentax film SLR user and am in the initial phases of planning to buy a Pentax digital SLR. I am very comfortable with the idea of using AA batteries and know from my initial research that there are some older models of Pentax digital SLRs that either take AA batteries directly or via an adapter. I would appreciate any advice on how to plan my purchase. Is there a table or list anywhere that shows Pentax digital SLR/AA battery compatibility (with or without adapter)?

As a second question, if I were to throw off my dinosaur mantle, and to accept that I must use lithium battery in a new camera, is there any commonality between the lithium batteries that are used in the various models of Pentax digital SLRs? I am concerned about the future availability of the various lithium batteries. AA batteries will still be around for decades .

01-10-2018, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
. . . I am in a Pentax film SLR user and am in the initial phases of planning to buy a Pentax digital SLR. I am very comfortable with the idea of using AA batteries and know from my initial research that there are some older models of Pentax digital SLRs that either take AA batteries directly or via an adapter. I would appreciate any advice on how to plan my purchase. Is there a table or list anywhere that shows Pentax digital SLR/AA battery compatibility (with or without adapter)?

As a second question, if I were to throw off my dinosaur mantle, and to accept that I must use lithium battery in a new camera, is there any commonality between the lithium batteries that are used in the various models of Pentax digital SLRs? I am concerned about the future availability of the various lithium batteries. AA batteries will still be around for decades .
If you go up to " Accessories " above and click " Grips " you will find info on accessory battery grip including which ones take AA batteries

Grips (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

likewise if you go up to " Cameras " you will find info on various Pentax camera bodies

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-mount-dslrs-c1.html

those might have info on whether the camera uses AA batteries with or without a grip
01-10-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Yes, all the advanced models launched since 2010 use the D-Li90, while the entry-level/intermediate models use the D-Li109. Cameras that support a battery grip can take 6x AAs via the grip, or a D-Li90.

There are no current models that support AAs as a main power source (the most recent camera to do so was the K-50, via the D-BH109 adapter). As the rechargeable batteries (especially the D-Li90) last longer, my recommendation would be to go for a camera that uses that battery, such as the K-3 II (ASP-C) or K-1 (full-frame). However, if that is outside of your budget, I would strongly recommend the K-70 as that camera's performance simple makes it an amazing value for the money.

This comparison tool lets to see what power source(s) each model supports. You can go back to the very first digital model if you want
Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2018, 11:50 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason I bought my k-x back in 2010 was that it used AA batteries. I had no idea what a 'Pentax' was except it used the AA's.

But I quickly got over that and moved to Lithium. At this point I would strongly suggest you just throw off the dinosaur mantle and move on. I appreciate the secure feeling that tried and true AA's gives, especially since I had at the time a nice collection of rechargeable ones. But it really is time to move on.

As already noted above Pentax uses only two different lithium batteries. The Li109 for mid models and the Li90 for all higher end models.

01-10-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

no idea what the OP's budget might be but this deal where you can get a Pentax Battery Grip for $ 7 over the price of the K 3 II alone still appears active

Pentax K-3 II | B&H Photo Video

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit 836.50

I, too, have multiple " regular " rechargeable Lithium batteries but I like the ability to use AA as well since if I even need power, I am sure I can find AA batteries in case of emergency
01-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
If you go up to " Accessories " above and click " Grips " you will find info on accessory battery grip including which ones take AA batteries

Grips (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

likewise if you go up to " Cameras " you will find info on various Pentax camera bodies

Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

those might have info on whether the camera uses AA batteries with or without a grip
Many thanks for that excellent information. I shall read it over thoroughly.

---------- Post added 01-10-18 at 11:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The reason I bought my k-x back in 2010 was that it used AA batteries. I had no idea what a 'Pentax' was except it used the AA's.

But I quickly got over that and moved to Lithium. At this point I would strongly suggest you just throw off the dinosaur mantle and move on. I appreciate the secure feeling that tried and true AA's gives, especially since I had at the time a nice collection of rechargeable ones. But it really is time to move on.

As already noted above Pentax uses only two different lithium batteries. The Li109 for mid models and the Li90 for all higher end models.
Thank you very much. It's all good food for thought!
01-10-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K100D Super, AA batteries only and a K-r, rechargeable lithium with the option of using AA batteries with a special holder that fits in the battery compartment.
If you insist on using AA batteries, try a K-r or something else (K-m, K-x) with this option. It means purchasing used but you will be able to try out the lithium battery as an alternative to AA batteries.
I am very pleased with the rechargeable battery in my K-5, can be around 1k actuations on a single charge!

01-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, all the advanced models launched since 2010 use the D-Li90, while the entry-level/intermediate models use the D-Li109. Cameras that support a battery grip can take 6x AAs via the grip, or a D-Li90.

There are no current models that support AAs as a main power source (the most recent camera to do so was the K-50, via the D-BH109 adapter). As the rechargeable batteries (especially the D-Li90) last longer, my recommendation would be to go for a camera that uses that battery, such as the K-3 II (ASP-C) or K-1 (full-frame). However, if that is outside of your budget, I would strongly recommend the K-70 as that camera's performance simple makes it an amazing value for the money.

This comparison tool lets to see what power source(s) each model supports. You can go back to the very first digital model if you want
Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Thank you so very much for your response! What a great tool that appears to be. I have had such great responses to my request for advice!
My instincts at the moment are to go slowly on my decision. I do have the means to get the more expensive cameras but past experience with my film cameras has been that I can still get lots of pleasure from the cheaper models. Your suggestion of the K-70 is well received, although, in truth, because of the k-mount lenses I already have, the lure of the full frame model (K-1) is very strong (gulp!!!).

---------- Post added 01-10-18 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I have a K100D Super, AA batteries only and a K-r, rechargeable lithium with the option of using AA batteries with a special holder that fits in the battery compartment.
If you insist on using AA batteries, try a K-r or something else (K-m, K-x) with this option. It means purchasing used but you will be able to try out the lithium battery as an alternative to AA batteries.
I am very pleased with the rechargeable battery in my K-5, can be around 1k actuations on a single charge!
Thanks for your advice, Skodadriver! As you can see, I have received excellent information from a few of the chaps here. Thanks again!

Last edited by Pentaxis; 01-10-2018 at 12:20 PM.
01-10-2018, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i have a K200 that uses AA batteries...one of the early camera bodies..where are you located...if you are near by i would let you play with it
01-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i have a K200 that uses AA batteries...one of the early camera bodies..where are you located...if you are near by i would let you play with it
Thanks very much for the offer although it would be premature of me to accept it. I think my best plan at the moment is to peruse the camera comparison tool that Adam referred me to, and then I can plan more logically on how to proceed.

Thanks again for your offer of help. The people here in this community are so friendly and helpful! It must be a Pentax trait.
01-10-2018, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My rechargeable AAs have all lost much of their original capacity in the course of a few year, bar a set which is still good.
I can't even turn my K100D Super on anymore on anything but perfectly charged batteries.
In short, I wouldn't exchange a good DLi90 or even a DLi109 for AA batteries for all the money in the world.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 01-10-2018 at 02:22 PM.
01-10-2018, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have recently discovered that even decent rechargeable AA batteries suffer power fluctuations in cold weather! I will still use the AAs in my K30 but I am getting a spare lithium, just in case
01-10-2018, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I started with a k100d, using eneloops (originally the standard "white ones", then later the high capacity XX ones) along with a smart charger. The performance was ok, and would gradually go down as the months passed. "Battery management" was a thing as I tried to keep my batteries refreshed and working optimally to keep the camera running. In cold weather, it would be a fumbly mess as I struggled to keep a warm set to cycle into the camera. Non-rechargeable lithiums perform much better, but are costly in the long run.

I now have a k5iis with the D-Li90 and cannot ever imagine using anything with a lesser battery. I have a 3rd party spare and the original that came with the camera. Even after 4 years, the original lasts absurdly long, generally a few weeks or even a month on a charge. One atypical usage for me had over 900 exposures in -10C, each 1 second long (time lapse) on one charge. After that, AA's in DSLR's are dead to me. I also have the grip for my k5iis, originally intended in part for the extra battery capacity but I'm struggling to come up with a use case that burns through 2 batteries in one session (your mileage may vary).
01-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
My rechargeable AAs have all lost much of their original capacity in the course of a few year, bar a set which is still good.
I can't even turn my K100D Super on anymore on anything but perfectly charged batteries.
In short, I wouldn't exchange a good DLi90 of even a DLi109 for AA batteries for all the money in the world.
Good information, thank you, and a cause for reflection on my part.
01-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
no worries...i will add it's the best forum around!!!!