Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
Forum Member
gorfmai's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 51
This is what I have been told by a Pentax employee. Of course, they may be ordered to say that to keep something quiet. So that on it's own generally means very little.

02-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,299
QuoteOriginally posted by gorfmai Quote
This is what I have been told by a Pentax employee. Of course, they may be ordered to say that to keep something quiet. So that on it's own generally means very little.
Ahh, yes, Pentax employee They and customer service rank lowest in the credibility ladder
02-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Well the K10D is only 6 months old since announcement, and the K100D is only 10 months old. How many DSLR bodies do you want per year? AFAIK both bodies are selling very well. I'd be surprised if Pentax announced another DSLR body now.
QuoteOriginally posted by klopus Quote
All that is not enough?
The point is that some some Swiss Pentax representatives were talking about two new DSLRs at PMA. But it seems that there won't be any.

Also my opinion regarding K100D: it is not old camera, but it is becoming obsolete incredibly quickly. No SDM support. Buffer size is a joke. It is very good but already obsolete camera. It needs quick update.
02-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,299
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
The point is that some some Swiss Pentax representatives were talking about two new DSLRs at PMA. But it seems that there won't be any.
But this is way too soon to make any conclusions. For example, Nikon and Sony haven't made any moves yet. Don't you think Pentax would keep some interesting bits till the end?

02-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But this is way too soon to make any conclusions. For example, Nikon and Sony haven't made any moves yet. Don't you think Pentax would keep some interesting bits till the end?
Well, I can see official press release, stating what new products Pentax will demonstrate. I can see 4 lenses, 1 flash and one old new camera.
02-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #21
Forum Member
klopus's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 56
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Also my opinion regarding K100D: it is not old camera, but it is becoming obsolete incredibly quickly. No SDM support. Buffer size is a joke. It is very good but already obsolete camera. It needs quick update.
This quick update was K10D. Still K100D fares pretty well against Nikon's D40 which was just released.
02-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by klopus Quote
This quick update was K10D. Still K100D fares pretty well against Nikon's D40 which was just released.
You must be joking. Completely different body. Different sensor. Completely different market segment. completely different price. No, K10D isn't quick update for K100D. It is completely new camera and completely from another market segment. What I am talking about -- cheap entry level model in the same body, the same 6Mpix sensor but SDM compatibility, large buffer (as of D40), possibly lithium batteries (the same as K10D). And the same price as of K100D. That I would call quick update.
02-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 643
entry level to me pretty well means price.. which puts the 110 as the true pentax entry level offering.. different market segment really means a higher price..

i would like to see an improved k100.. improved to the point where it is a better camera than the current k10.. bigger buffer.. better iso performance.. better faster autofocusing..

better things that matter.. it can keep its 6 mega pixel sensor.. i might even contemplate buying one then..

trog

02-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,299
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, I can see official press release, stating what new products Pentax will demonstrate. I can see 4 lenses, 1 flash and one old new camera.
And? They can have more than one press release, you know?

Let's take a look at Photokina 2006 on Sept 26, 2006. Pentax had 3 new product press releases:

Aug 21 - 5 weeks before the show;
Sept 13 - 2 weeks before the show;
Sept 21 - 5 days before the show

So far, we have had two releases from Pentax:

Jan 23 - 6 weeks before the show;
Feb 21 - 2 weeks before the show;

So you may or may not be correct. My point is not to jump into conclusion right now. If they have nothing else to show, you won't see any more new releases. But if they have something else to show, they could wait until the last few days before the show when they make the final product announcement.
02-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
What I am talking about -- cheap entry level model in the same body, the same 6Mpix sensor but SDM compatibility, large buffer (as of D40), possibly lithium batteries (the same as K10D). And the same price as of K100D. That I would call quick update.
And I would call that "now I have to quit dithering around trying to decide what to buy, and get out the credit cards immediately".
02-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
You must be joking. Completely different body. Different sensor. Completely different market segment. completely different price. No, K10D isn't quick update for K100D. It is completely new camera and completely from another market segment. What I am talking about -- cheap entry level model in the same body, the same 6Mpix sensor but SDM compatibility, large buffer (as of D40), possibly lithium batteries (the same as K10D). And the same price as of K100D. That I would call quick update.
I want to see a quick update to the K10D or even a true flaghip, say, the K1D.

As for updates to the K10, I wish better image engine, less noise, better colors, less system lag, better button feel but no need to be weather seal (which IMHO is more or less a marketing hype, for most of the non-pro typical users, who won't shoot in rain anyway - they simply ain't PJs!), and most importantly, a truely revoluted accurate metering system plus an acceptably accurate AF system for fast primes! (indeed, the K10 still keeps the same old film *ist's AF and multi-segment metering system!)
02-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #27
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
I would not be superised that Pentax will use there digital 645 as their "flag ship" camera and not announce any new ones.
31mp sensor, likely over 10,000 dollars.... even though it is in a different catagory then the DSLR's, isn't the D645 enough of a flag ship to turn some heads? I know I wanted the "regular" 645 since I was a kid, and the D645 would make me happy from ear to ear (if money was not an object)
with both the k10 and k100 new, I would think they would want to make some return on there investments first.
maybe they will bring out a "concept" design...
or possibly some minor updates to both the k10 or k100 designs, possibly some software updates or some new dials or buttons?

just guessing

cheers

randy
02-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I want to see a quick update to the K10D or even a true flaghip, say, the K1D.

As for updates to the K10, I wish better image engine, less noise, better colors, less system lag, better button feel but no need to be weather seal (which IMHO is more or less a marketing hype, for most of the non-pro typical users, who won't shoot in rain anyway - they simply ain't PJs!), and most importantly, a truely revoluted accurate metering system plus an acceptably accurate AF system for fast primes! (indeed, the K10 still keeps the same old film *ist's AF and multi-segment metering system!)
you sure are picky. im sure if they did release whatever it is you listed, you will end up hating it too
02-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member
-=JoN=-'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,000
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I would not be superised that Pentax will use there digital 645 as their "flag ship" camera and not announce any new ones.
31mp sensor, likely over 10,000 dollars.... even though it is in a different catagory then the DSLR's, isn't the D645 enough of a flag ship to turn some heads? I know I wanted the "regular" 645 since I was a kid, and the D645 would make me happy from ear to ear (if money was not an object)
with both the k10 and k100 new, I would think they would want to make some return on there investments first.
maybe they will bring out a "concept" design...
or possibly some minor updates to both the k10 or k100 designs, possibly some software updates or some new dials or buttons?

just guessing

cheers

randy

different format. 645 is medium format segment. it's like comparing a hummer to a camry.
02-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #30
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
different format. 645 is medium format segment. it's like comparing a hummer to a camry.

you are 100% right, JoN

I was thinking more of "cutting edge technology" flagship, not just what type of digital camera it is.
do you think it would be a wise move to bring out another DSLR when they just made the K100 and K10?

randy
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, pentax, pentax dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax at PMA 2010 techmulla Pentax News and Rumors 8 04-21-2010 07:02 PM
PENTAX absent from PMA 2010 opiszon Pentax News and Rumors 58 02-23-2010 09:02 PM
Should I buy Pentax Kx or wait for PMA 2010? DavoMrMac Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 02-11-2010 03:15 PM
Translation from PMA Pentax Interview - new DSLR body this year and company strategy Katsura Pentax News and Rumors 66 09-23-2007 04:15 AM
1 day from PMA, still no new Pentax DSLR? RiceHigh Pentax DSLR Discussion 59 04-02-2007 02:52 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top