Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #31
Inactive Account

I'll make a prediction that people might not like but some will agree is possible. The K10D, Nikon D80, Nikon D200 and Sony A100 all share the same Sony sensor. If Sony releases a new sensor into the market and mounts it in it's new so called A10 then it won't be long and Nikon + Pentax will want it to for their new camera body. That is not a bad thing because I see it like this. Sony were the first to release a 10mp sensor into the consumer race with the A100. Nikon then used the same sensor but wrapped it in a better body, Pentax then came along and sort of trumped them all with the K10D body. If the same scenario occurs then Pentax will once again have the best body in the consumer lineup even although it'll be the last one into the market. I don't see any camera for Pentax showing up at PMA because there really is no need. The K10D is a new and great camera and a semi pro model will be along late 2007 early 2008 along with all those nice new lenses. That is my prediction for Pentax!!

02-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
you are 100% right, JoN

I was thinking more of "cutting edge technology" flagship, not just what type of digital camera it is.
do you think it would be a wise move to bring out another DSLR when they just made the K100 and K10?

randy
i think it's too soon for them to be bringing out a new dslr body. they just released the k10, releasing the 645, and a bunch of new lenses.

what was the gap between the last *ist body to the k's?

roughly a year, or a little less?
02-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
I'll make a prediction that people might not like but some will agree is possible. The K10D, Nikon D80, Nikon D200 and Sony A100 all share the same Sony sensor. If Sony releases a new sensor into the market and mounts it in it's new so called A10 then it won't be long and Nikon + Pentax will want it to for their new camera body. That is not a bad thing because I see it like this. Sony were the first to release a 10mp sensor into the consumer race with the A100. Nikon then used the same sensor but wrapped it in a better body, Pentax then came along and sort of trumped them all with the K10D body. If the same scenario occurs then Pentax will once again have the best body in the consumer lineup even although it'll be the last one into the market. I don't see any camera for Pentax showing up at PMA because there really is no need. The K10D is a new and great camera and a semi pro model will be along late 2007 early 2008 along with all those nice new lenses. That is my prediction for Pentax!!
i have the same feeling. at least a new body announcement at that time, and release date for Q1 of 08
02-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
you sure are picky. im sure if they did release whatever it is you listed, you will end up hating it too
Nope, you're absolutely wrong here. I'm satisfied with my K100D except mainly for three things (otherwise, I would have thrown it away already):

1. Inaccurate/Low IQ multi-segment metering (so that I need to use CWA metering all the times but sometimes I need something more handy)

2. Inaccurate AF which is dependent on color temperature of the light source.

3. More resolution than 6MP (but not as noisy as the K10D right now)

Of course, I would prefer the control interface of the K10D, which I had used to use with my *ist D, over the K100D if it can (but the K100 interface is simple and direct to use, and the chance for a wrong setting is less, just becoz things are not so easy to be changed and there are less things can be changed)

I don't think I'm really picky, the fact is that Pentax is actually still laggin behind in the competition particularly in those AE and AF departments with their K10D, not even to mention about the inferior image engine to other 10MP models of other brands and to the K100D as well.

The good thing is that I have the faith that Pentax can correct the problems in their new models, although slow (as what they could do in the past - each new models have got rid of those most annoying things one by one - but very slowly in progress)

02-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Nope, you're absolutely wrong here. I'm satisfied with my K100D except mainly for three things (otherwise, I would have thrown it away already):

1. Inaccurate/Low IQ multi-segment metering (so that I need to use CWA metering all the times but sometimes I need something more handy)

2. Inaccurate AF which is dependent on color temperature of the light source.

3. More resolution than 6MP (but not as noisy as the K10D right now)

Of course, I would prefer the control interface of the K10D, which I had used to use with my *ist D, over the K100D if it can (but the K100 interface is simple and direct to use, and the chance for a wrong setting is less, just becoz things are not so easy to be changed and there are less things can be changed)

I don't think I'm really picky, the fact is that Pentax is actually still laggin behind in the competition particularly in those AE and AF departments with their K10D, not even to mention about the inferior image engine to other 10MP models of other brands and to the K100D as well.

The good thing is that I have the faith that Pentax can correct the problems in their new models, although slow (as what they could do in the past - each new models have got rid of those most annoying things one by one - but very slowly in progress)
still being picky IMO

seriously, if you dont agree w/ the camera's suggested shooting settings, then, change it. isnt that one of the reasons we all got dslr's so we can input our own settings regardless of what the camera says. and as far as IQ and all that, it's really up to the lens and what you input in as a setting that ultimately factors it. if not, shoot in raw, and post process.

honestly, how bad can the images be? how much better do you want or does anyone want it to be? everyone's doing 100% crops of images to do pixel peeping or what not, but truth be told, the person your gonna be showing it off to, will not know what the hell it is. they look at the overall image, and say "thats nice"

you have a camera, take photos, not test it, and not post information at how bad it is.

i'm sorry, but i really just dont understand any of these so called bad traits of the k10, or any other body for that fact. why bother using a dslr then if your going to rely on the camera to do the shooting for you.
02-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you have a camera, take photos, not test it, and not post information at how bad it is.
Why "not"?? At least *we* are still *here* (if you are not posting, then you have been out for shooting, solely :-o ).

QuoteQuote:
i'm sorry, but i really just dont understand any of these so called bad traits of the k10, or any other body for that fact. why bother using a dslr then if your going to rely on the camera to do the shooting for you.
Since these are the features available in the camera, it should work satisfactorily as it's supposed to be. Whether the user chooses to use it or not is totally irrelevant here. Do note that it is not that I do not want to use the features, but only that the features are rather unreliable that I am put off.
02-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #37
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Originally Posted by gorfmai: Pentax's official stand is no new DSLRs at the show

Where do you hear this? Or are you just speculating?
Pentax's "official stand" sounds like a contrived way of saying that there is something coming but they are not yet allowed to tell !
02-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #38
cyg

i think it's too soon for them to be bringing out a new dslr body. they just released the k10, releasing the 645, and a bunch of new lenses.

what was the gap between the last *ist body to the k's?

roughly a year, or a little less?
At the time of the DS/DL/DS2/DL2 dance, they were releasing updates every 6 months or so (*). So it may be about time for a K100D2 or something. More memory, faster operation, there is room for improvement without changing sensor or other major part.

(*) DS: 13 sept 04; DL: 1 jun 05; DS2: 22 aug 05; DL2: 27 jan 06; K100: 22 may 06

02-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Matrix metering works very well for me on the K10d, as did the k100d.. There are certain situations that it would choose a different result than I would like but that is why you are able to adjust it... I haven't yet seen a camera with AI as strong as a human brain.. not yet anyway... then again lots of humans disagree on how a scene should be metered too...

As for Tungsten lighting and AF errors, is it only under Tungsten? the lighting in my house isn't strong at all (esp in my loungs room) but I use those flourecent energy saver globes and have no problems whatsoever with even the FA50/1.4... At events/museums/parties/weddings which covers most of my indoor photography the lighting tends to be either flourecent or halogen so I don't see the much complained about (by some) problem.. So for people having these problems with their cameras? is it only the old style Tungsten globes that trick the AF system for you?

On topic I agree with Jon, its far too soon for new bodies to be released, Pentax should be working on getting those SDM lenses available so we can take advantage of one of the great new features of the K10d.. And it appears that is what pentax are doing.. Personally I think the DS/DS2/DL/DL2 dance was a mistake, I would prefer they didn't play that game again..

I hope the 17-70 and 70-300 also get SDM, it would be good to see it introduced in mid range lenses too..
02-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #40
Forum Member

Since these are the features available in the camera, it should work satisfactorily as it's supposed to be. Whether the user chooses to use it or not is totally irrelevant here. Do note that it is not that I do not want to use the features, but only that the features are rather unreliable that I am put off.
That's the difference between working pro like Benjikan who earns his living with K10D and posts stunning images on PentaxWorld - the world of Pentax users! forum and makes covers for top world fashion mags without much complaining (or if complaining then about totally different things) and disgruntled serial measurbator with an obsessive grudge against Pentax. One expertly uses and appreciates particular features for particular job while the other whines about all possible features for all possible applications and none in particular.
02-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #41
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
On topic I agree with Jon, its far too soon for new bodies to be released, Pentax should be working on getting those SDM lenses available so we can take advantage of one of the great new features of the K10d.. And it appears that is what pentax are doing.. Personally I think the DS/DS2/DL/DL2 dance was a mistake, I would prefer they didn't play that game again..
The "dance" was a bit silly at times but allowed Pentax to stay in the game and in many reviews/shootouts in magazines, etc. And the larger LCD alone earned some pretty decent reviews.

Annoying as it is, it does not seem like camera makers can avoid updgrading or updating every 6 month or so these days...

I would be surprised if Pentax did not show at least some minor dslr update (in addition to yet another 645D preview).
02-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #42
Site Supporter

[QUOTE=RiceHigh;29674]The announcement has been out, there are the DA* zooms, new DA primes, new 200FG compact flash and the old 645D as usual. But there is no new mainstream Pentax DSLR..

[QUOTE]

Good. I won't "have" to buy it :-)
02-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #43
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Well the K10D is only 6 months old since announcement, and the K100D is only 10 months old. How many DSLR bodies do you want per year? AFAIK both bodies are selling very well. I'd be surprised if Pentax announced another DSLR body now. To be truthful, I'd be much happier if Pentax concentrated on allieviating their serious lens backlog.

NaCl(there are virtually no Pentax lenses available anywhere)H2O
That's kind of what I was thinking as well.

From what I know, the three DSLRs introduced last year were a big step forward.

I would prefer Pentax direct their effort, at this time, catching up with current demand for lens and doing more research for firmware improvements to their existing, already fine, group of DSLRs.
02-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
Pentax's "official stand" sounds like a contrived way of saying that there is something coming but they are not yet allowed to tell !
Frequently, thats exactly it. Sometimes they know and are not allowed to say, sometimes they are purposely not told till they arrive at PMA, etc. I still doubt they will have anything new at the show for immediate (2Q) sale, I'm 99% sure they will show new preproduction / mockups / vaporware there....
02-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #45

As for updates to the K10, I wish better image engine
Failings still to be proven in real-life shooting

less noise
Inherent in sensor - hence 100-1600 ISO range rather than 200-3200 (see interview). Besides, 100 ISO is more useful than 3200 ISO in general shooting (especially with primes).

better colors
If you prefer your colours unrealistically bright, then use the "bright" setting I suppose - or turn up the saturation(?)

less system lag
Unmeasurably short providing the shutter is handled correctly (half-pressed first to secure focus and exposure setting) - I just tried it out to confirm.

better button feel
Excellent quality feel to all buttons, possibly helped by the weatherproofing. When I first got hold of the camera I took great (childlike) pleasure in opening and closing the connector door with a reassuring "pop" - the photographic equivalent surely of a Mercedes "clunk".

but no need to be weather seal (which IMHO is more or less a marketing hype, for most of the non-pro typical users, who won't shoot in rain anyway - they simply ain't PJs!)
My first digital camera died some time after a day's hike in the rain (even though kept in a bag and under my coat most of the time). My second digital camera also suffered the same way, but just about survived. I have already taken the K10D out in fairly heavy rain (though not all day) and it came out smiling! Maybe it's not necessary where you live or travel

and most importantly, a truely revoluted accurate metering system plus an acceptably accurate AF system for fast primes! (indeed, the K10 still keeps the same old film *ist's AF and multi-segment metering system!)
Well it's my first AF SLR, so I can't compare, but the AF seems good enough to me in real situations - if I'm doing macro I've got time to manual focus - "outdoors" focus is less critical. I've already given up with multi-segment metering (though I've used similar systems on P&S cameras before). It's good old centre weighted and spot all the way - and I probably wouldn't use any new clever metering system either!

Last edited by Simon; 02-24-2007 at 05:03 PM.