Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-1 mount - one of the screws is loose-ish and cannot be tightened

Was checking the screws on the body and mount, and noticed one of the screws is kind of loose (well, it's not falling out, but it's definitely not tight), and cannot be tightened. Is this a big deal, and can pentax service partner (Precision Camera in my case) fix it? The screw itself does not look stripped, so I'm afraid it's whatever it's screwing into, which could theoretically be the stainless steel inner cage?

5 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Is this a big deal
The question might be how it got this way. The K-1 mount screws go into the reinforced composite material of the mirror box.* Loose screws that will not tighten are generally an indication of impact or a dropped camera. As such, yes, it may be a big deal.

Steve

* Before someone goes off about how that is no way to build a pro-level camera, a look at this post at DP Review might be in order...The plastic in your camera: Canon EOS 7D / 10D - 80D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review...Nikon D5 too.
5 Days Ago   #3

Was checking the screws on the body and mount, and noticed one of the screws is kind of loose (well, it's not falling out, but it's definitely not tight), and cannot be tightened. Is this a big deal, and can pentax service partner (Precision Camera in my case) fix it? The screw itself does not look stripped, so I'm afraid it's whatever it's screwing into, which could theoretically be the stainless steel inner cage?
left sided screw?
5 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

If your description is right, that does sound like a something that needs fixing.

There have been a number of cases where screws in the mount were loose and were causing "decentering" effects = poorer sides on images. Often people just carefully tightened the screws and everything was ok afterwards.

4 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have definitely never dropped my camera, it's always secure in one of my camera bags or on my shelf at home. The only two times I didn't have control over it is when I sent it to Tamron for calibration with my 70-200 and then when I sent it to Precision few months ago.

So it is possible to get that fixed If they've replaced the mirror box? Was wondering if servicing company could claim that I have damaged the mount myself (like what stevebrot said for example, or say I have damaged it myself by tightening the screws) and refuse to service it? Kind of sounds like it would be hard to prove that it was that way already.

Ugh, my next conversation with Precision would be complicated lol, I need to try to explain again how to get hot pixels I wanted to fix last time, then explain about this screw, then my 15-30 that I will send for tune ups with my K-1. They only give 200 characters to describe the issue, I'm definitely going to have to call them right away and explain all this..

---------- Post added 01-12-18 at 07:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
If your description is right, that does sound like a something that needs fixing.

There have been a number of cases where screws in the mount were loose and were causing "decentering" effects = poorer sides on images. Often people just carefully tightened the screws and everything was ok afterwards.
Interestingly, my 28-105 has slight softness on the same side as 15-30 (left side), and that's where the loose screw is too (upper left screw). My tamron had massive decentering on the left side too, I wonder if part of tamron's calibration involved tightening the screws and they damaged the mount that way. I didn't even think to check the mount until yesterday, so it might've been there from beginning, or could be over eager folks at tamron or precision..
4 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

The same thing also applies to the mount on the lens. Might be worthwhile to check the screws there if you're already at it.
4 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The same thing also applies to the mount on the lens. Might be worthwhile to check the screws there if you're already at it.
I checked at the same time I was checking the mount, screws are solid. I carefully tightened some smaller screws around the body as well, everything seems fine except that one screw. I guess it's just one more thing to add to the list of things I want Precision to fix for me this time, and they better not ignore them like they did last time.
4 Days Ago   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Firstly I hope you're using a JIS screwdriver rather than philips...to avoid slippage.

Secondly, does the screw loosen at all? I wonder if it has some thread lock on it and was not completely tightened before it set. If it won't easily turn either way, this might be the case and you might want to break the thread lock and reset it (or do the safe thing and send it off for investigation). If it will loosen but not fully tighten there is something more serious afoot.

4 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Firstly I hope you're using a JIS screwdriver rather than philips...to avoid slippage.

Secondly, does the screw loosen at all? I wonder if it has some thread lock on it and was not completely tightened before it set. If it won't easily turn either way, this might be the case and you might want to break the thread lock and reset it (or do the safe thing and send it off for investigation). If it will loosen but not fully tighten there is something more serious afoot.
Not sure if my screwdrivers are JIS or normal phillips, picked a set of 6 at Lowes, they seem sturdy and rubber grip is convenient, but dunno about the tip.
I was very careful while checking the screws.

I think the base is either stripped, or had a defect from the beginning (I just never noticed), out of curiosity I used a screw from another mount opening in the same hole and it did the same thing - it doesn't tighten all the way, instead just rotating. It's not loose, it won't fall out of the socket, but it's not providing any support/grip on the mount. I'm pretty sure I'd like that fixed, hopefully it would be covered under warranty, I'd imaging replacing mirror box could be rather costly..
4 Days Ago   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if my screwdrivers are JIS or normal phillips, picked a set of 6 at Lowes
If you don't know, chances are they are not JIS. The difference is hard to explain in a few words, but significant. In short, the easiest way the damage a JIS screw is to use a Phillips driver on it.

http://vk4zxi.blogspot.com/2017/04/japanese-trx-use-jis-not-phillips-screws.html

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/300

https://www.micro-tools.com/pages/search-results-page?q=jis+screwdriver+set

From your most recent description, it reads like the hole may not have been adequately tapped and/or might have a plug of thread-lock compound solidified at the end that prevents the screw from seating fully. A conversation with a technician conversant on recent-model K-mount bodies might be helpful here. Alternatively, perhaps someone experienced with mount swaps might weigh in on this thread.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 4 Days Ago at 06:10 PM.
4 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you don't know, chances are they are not JIS. The difference is hard to explain in a few words, but significant. In short, the easiest way the damage a JIS screw is to use a Phillips driver on it.

VK4ZXI: Japanese TRX use JIS not Phillips screws

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Stripping Phillips Screws

Search Results ? Micro-Tools

From your most recent description, it reads like the hole may not have been adequately tapped and/or might have a plug of thread-lock compound solidified at the end that prevents the screw from seating fully. A conversation with a technician conversant on recent-model K-mount bodies might be helpful here. Alternatively, perhaps someone experienced with mount swaps might weigh in on this thread.

Steve
I don't think I'll touch it at all anymore, I'll just send it in to Precision and let them deal with it. Maybe a side effect of them fixing it would be solution of my issues with 15-30 and (to a lesser extent) 28-105.
3 Days Ago   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think I'll touch it at all anymore, I'll just send it in to Precision and let them deal with it. Maybe a side effect of them fixing it would be solution of my issues with 15-30 and (to a lesser extent) 28-105.
It really does seem that your problem is less or not at all with the lenses but with the mount on your camera. I hope your efforts to fix it yourself have not jeopardized your warranty. As has been pointed out the difference between phillips and JIS is significant and can lead to damaged screws.
3 Days Ago   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It really does seem that your problem is less or not at all with the lenses but with the mount on your camera. I hope your efforts to fix it yourself have not jeopardized your warranty. As has been pointed out the difference between phillips and JIS is significant and can lead to damaged screws.
I hope so too. My screwdriver did not seem to make any impact on the screws, at least not that I can see, it was a fairly tight fit. Hopefully I can get that fixed, and it would be the end of my struggles with the lenses.