Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
A lot of reviewers in 2016 made a similar approach, they tested the K1 using only screw drive lenses, didn't bother looking at say the 28-105, and then complained about the AF quality/speed.
Maybe RI should take the blame?...they put out some promo material with a picture of a vast amount of K mount lenses.Stating look what goes with the K-1.

Or maybe the forum members who voted the 77mm as the best ever Pentax lens? The reviewer might have thought all those Pentaxians might know something about the lenses.(the 28-105 wasnt released when that review was done!)

01-14-2018, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

RI should be blaming for not (falsely) claiming: "look, we have no lenses!"?
DPR is using the 77mm stopped down to f/5.6; there's still some softness in the corners but it's not that bad. They're using a lens of about 85mm for FF cameras and there just aren't many choices for Pentax. Things will change once the D FA* 85mm is released.
01-14-2018, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

It would be appropriate for them to re test when the primes are released,if they will is another thing?...The results will be good,they may even be so good they get hidden in the same drawer as the 645Zs did!
01-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The way I see this and other things like this- there can be something here to learn from. One thing I have learned here is to stop looking forward to the next generation "advancing" to a BSI sensor! There are no advantages shown here when dealing with actual photographic subject matter. In fact, within the design framework of these models, the "old" technology of the Pentax sensor is obviously superior! This is why it is wrong to just advance the next model design so it is "competitive" with the latest from other brands, just for the sake of "me-too". People say- why does Pentax take so long, which puts them so far "behind" when they finally come out with their new model?

Of course, then there is the video thing- but the MAIN thing for a DSLR is for still photography, which this demonstration recognizes.

It is also a good demonstration of the importance of looking at photographic subject matter, instead of just at test charts. I have always been a fan of the former.

01-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Ricoh AMERICAS should happen to send an evaluation copy of a lens they hope DPR would use I imagine DPR would use it.
01-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Whereas the A7r3, does stills and video "reasonably" well,its the closest FF Hybrid so far.....Sony will get it right when the lenses are all available and when they get their weather sealing right.Maybe A7 r4 time???
I think the a7r III will be the last of that line personally. My bets are on an a9r next.
01-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was he using 2 sec timer for those photos? Because he input the wrong focal length into the camera, which affects SR and therefore sharpness
But nice to see fair reviews of K-1!
Looks like this channel did a number of K-1 tests:

01-15-2018, 04:43 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, whilst it's nice to see more positive reviews for the K-1, a number of the issues he experienced in those test shots were down to significant differences in focusing / sharpness, metering, camera ISO differences (i.e. ISO 400 on one model of camera doesn't necessarily equal ISO 400 on another), and - I'd guess - white balance.

Still, a positive review is a positive review

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-15-2018 at 05:00 AM.
01-15-2018, 04:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I made a comment in youtube if he can do the same test with Pentax APS-C cameras. I would really like to see a fair review of the K-70 and the KP compared to its competitors.
01-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Its his best effort...normally hes a lot worse!...He was a bit under his normal "antics" in that.

Its difficult to watch him,but hes a lot better than FRO!

He does get his content correct though.
I asked why he giggles so much and he said it was a part of him. He also leaves words out of sentences and letters of words.
01-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Makes you wonder how the Nikon was "judged" as best camera released in 2017?
It is called sponsorship. They paid and Pentax did not!!
01-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
It is called sponsorship. They paid and Pentax did not!!
Well, you have missed something here...Pentax didnt have a camera in this class in 2017.

But, Nikon had 1 and Sony had 2...there were some others but they were too niche.

I'm also referring to concensus of opinion over many commentators...a guess is the D850 was thought of as best release in about 2/3rds of the cases...and generally the other 1/3rd nominated $ony A7r3...
I suppose that stands to reason seeing that breakup of numbers sort of reflects the DSLR/ML ratio.

Its all just opinion ...the things are relatively new and firmware can change lots as time goes by.
01-16-2018, 01:22 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Well, you have missed something here...Pentax didnt have a camera in this class in 2017.

But, Nikon had 1 and Sony had 2...there were some others but they were too niche.

I'm also referring to concensus of opinion over many commentators...a guess is the D850 was thought of as best release in about 2/3rds of the cases...and generally the other 1/3rd nominated $ony A7r3...
I suppose that stands to reason seeing that breakup of numbers sort of reflects the DSLR/ML ratio.

Its all just opinion ...the things are relatively new and firmware can change lots as time goes by.
I am sorry. But I am totally lost on your points. Do you know when K1 was introduced and delivered? I got mine in June of 2017.
01-16-2018, 01:56 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I am totally lost on your points
Ok, the K-1 was released around 1/3rd the way thru 2016...i got mine May 13th a Friday in OZ, a lucky day for my photography..not so lucky for the bank balance.So it wasnt considered as a contender in 2017.
01-16-2018, 03:29 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sorry. But I am totally lost on your points. Do you know when K1 was introduced and delivered? I got mine in June of 2017.
It ended up coming out around May 1st of 2016. It was supposed to be a little sooner than that. We're coming up on the K-1 being two years old.