08-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

weird problem

hi,

here is a weird one

on my k20d I have tried 3 memory cards,

1 of them will give me this BUT

only about 1/2-1/3rd of images
no particular order (so not every 2nd one etc)
and only when shooting raw (jpegs are fine)
and only when I open the image in adobe ps or lightroom (and updating to camera raw 4.5 didn't change it) - I can convert fine in other software such as idimager.

as it is only 1 card I'd have to say it is something dodgy with the card, but sure is weird

Phil

Attached Images

08-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
on my k20d I have tried 3 memory cards,

1 of them will give me this BUT

only about 1/2-1/3rd of images
no particular order (so not every 2nd one etc)
and only when shooting raw (jpegs are fine)
and only when I open the image in adobe ps or lightroom (and updating to camera raw 4.5 didn't change it) - I can convert fine in other software such as idimager.
As far as I know, idimager does not have any RAW conversion facility at all - it simply displays the JPEG preview that is embedded within the RAW file by the camera. If you can find an actul RAW converted (eg, Pentax Photo Laboratory) that will handle the files OK, then I'd assume there is some sort of bug in ACR triggered by these files. but I'm guess the files really are corrupt, and in such a way that the preview is fine but the RAW data is hosed.

If this happens on only one card, I'd agree it's time to retire that card.
08-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ditch the card. This is a common problem with corrupted RAW files caused by naughty flash memory.
08-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It may be the contact points on the card. I would try cleaning them with alcohol and see if it helps any. If not, send the card back. Most have lifetime or 5 year warranties.

08-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe your card reader is not compatible with your card or computer (SDHC card with SD card reader, or SDHC card while the computer slot is only able to process SD cards). You should tell us what card (make, model, size) you use and the process used to transfer the images to the computer. It would really help figuring out what is going on.
08-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks everyone, tried cleaning etc. and then copying files to and from. small jpegs are fine, but larger tiffs are often corrupt. something wrong with copying large files.

it was a cheap card and postage was half the cost, it will only be replaced with the same thing. lesson learnt, all the sandisks we have in the house are perfect after years of use. the 2 cheap cards I have bought in the last couple of months are dodgy and in the bin.

thanks
Phil