Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2018, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To add to the Good Experiences stories, aside from other more minor events, I was using a K-30 with 60-250mm lens and was caught out in the open during a sudden cloudburst that went on for well over 30 minutes without shelter in sight. Giving up my fate to the gods, I just continued to shoot as other photographers ran for their distant cars or huddled over their equipment. I zoomed, focused, just worked like usual.

Once finally home, a nice soft towel to dry everything off and resting out in the open on a table overnight were the only special care I gave the camera and lens.

My clothes were another matter. I was drenched over every inch of my body and was still dripping even after the drive home. My wallet took the worst of it, with a few important notes and other items destroyed. The cash took longer to dry out than my Pentax.

Everything still works without any ill effects. Now that I have a K3ii, I expect the results to be just as good or better in the future.

01-15-2018, 05:39 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

similar experience on my end:
my k5 plus 18-135 were drenched in the rains of st. john's newfound land for about 40 mins. no concerns.

similarly, my k1 and 24-70 were drenched in hiking to the fairy pools in scotland for about 3 hours. EVERYTHING on me was drenched. money, wallet, passport, shoes, socks, underwear, EVERYTHING. the result? what issue? i did see some people staring at me wondering why i'm not covering my camera. no issues on my end

i am debating on leaving my 24-70 behind and get a 55mm as a walk around lens. and use other prime lenses as my other go-to lenses for a travel trip.

Last edited by hadi; 01-15-2018 at 06:21 PM.
01-15-2018, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i had my K10, K30 get really wet and they never fail on me.
01-15-2018, 09:37 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have always used my Pentax gear in wet weather -- I live in Oregon -- and have had no problems at all over years of such abuse

My cameras and DA* lenses get wet and get muddy on a regular basis. I've used them for hours at a time in steady rain. They've been subjected to sea spray (think Arctic cruise Zodiac trips) to the point that I've rinsed them off, gently, under the kitchen tap to get rid of any salt residue. They have never shown any ill effects.

Like some others here, I adhere to the philosophy that a camera is a tool to be used.

By contrast, I've had a Canon 6D (said to have "enhanced dust and weather resistance." Ha.) seize up in a very light drizzle, more like a dense fog than rain.

Pentax isn't a perfect camera system, but the weather sealing is truly very good in my experience on the K20D, K-7, K-5, K-5IIs and KP bodies as well as the DA* 16-50, 50-135 and 300 lenses.

01-22-2018, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Last year I took my K-1 into the desert outside of Las Vegas for a lantern lestival. It was hot and dusty and bit windy. Not a major weather event by any means. however we weren't allowed to bring tripods due to safety concerns of people tripping over them in the dark.

I had my K-1 set up on my backpack and it took a tumble into the dusty dirt. I had my FA-J 18-35 on it and I knew it wasn't weather proof/resistant. I blew off the loose dust with my rocket blower, wiped it down and swapped for the 28-105 AW. lens. then I took a bottle of water and poured it over the camera to get any remaining dust/dirt off and dried it with a towel.

Took a couple of shots and all was well.

---------- Post added 01-22-18 at 05:05 PM ----------

Last year I took my K-1 into the desert outside of Las Vegas for a lantern lestival. It was hot and dusty and bit windy. Not a major weather event by any means. however we weren't allowed to bring tripods due to safety concerns of people tripping over them in the dark.

I had my K-1 set up on my backpack and it took a tumble into the dusty dirt. I had my FA-J 18-35 on it and I knew it wasn't weather proof/resistant. I blew off the loose dust with my rocket blower, wiped it down and swapped for the 28-105 AW. lens. then I took a bottle of water and poured it over the camera to get any remaining dust/dirt off and dried it with a towel.

Took a couple of shots and all was well.
01-27-2018, 08:17 PM - 3 Likes   #21

I can add a comment on this topic too. I managed to capsize my kayak while out photographing birds on a lovely, quiet afternoon. I had never accidently capsized before and often went out with a camera. This time it was my K5 and .a 50-200mm lens. The camera was underwater for several minutes and I admit to some concern as I got to shore. However, I returned to our campsite, patted everything dry, took out the memory card and battery and left everything as open as possible to dry completely. It took some will power but I waited until the next day to try it out. It was fine. I haven't been disappointed with my decision to buy Pentax.