Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
what type of screw driver do you need to check the screws on a K 3 or K 3 II

what size/make, metric I would guess
JIS (Japan Industrial Standard), but I couldn't tell you the size.

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2018 at 12:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Check this blog list from lens rentals out.

Lens Rentals | Blog
With the Sony A7SII discussed in that blog, it's interesting that there are significant gaps in the weather sealing system of a camera advertised as weather resistant. The foam seal on the battery door doesn't go all the way around the door, which effectively means that this "camera has absolutely no weather resistance on the bottom". The cable ports and strap lugs have no seals where they attach to the body, so salt water also entered the camera there. There was no corrosion inside the very top part of the camera, so it seems that the camera had only been splashed on the bottom and sides rather than being immersed. Despite the conclusion that it was only splashed, the corrosion was so extensive that the only assembly that was not damaged was the viewfinder.

This make me wonder: are there any chinks in weather-resistant Pentax bodies' armour? I'm talking about obvious gaps, not about seals that would give way under pressure.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 01-18-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typo
01-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found a source on the internet

[ anything on the internet has to be correct right ]

which indicates they are jis #000

and recommends a long handle

Correct size screw driver to tighten mount screws on K3?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

can anyone confirm
01-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I think the real trick is to not push the limits too much.

Yes, indeed. Neither AW nor WR capability ever meant "immersion-tolerant". Weather resistance with consumer cameras is relative, not absolute. It adds varying levels of protection over non-sealed equipment, but many photographers treat it as if it were some magic insurance that nothing could ever harm their gear, and even that level of protection depends on all seals being fully intact, perfectly clean, and neatly in place. Photographers also tend to underestimate the corrosive damage that can be caused by condensation inside the camera even without any visible ingression of water. Or they forget to carefully wipe down their gear when it was in the rain, etc.

Admittedly, I'm not the hardcore outdoorsy type and tend to baby my equipment maybe to a fault, but I have also used a K-7 / WR kit lens combo for hours in heavy November wind and rain without any conceivable problems. But even with the usual precautions I took, in retrospect I would say there may have also been an element of luck in the equation that nothing happened to my gear. Nowadays, before exposing my equipment to extreme weather, I weigh the risk of damage to my kit against the quality of images I'm likely to get and avoid unnecessary abuse. As an amateur on a budget, I'm also keenly aware of the fact that the Wife - should I lose my camera due to negligence - wouldn't just say, "Oh, honey, that was such bad luck. We need to get you a replacement K-3 right away!"

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I really do think the best part of Pentax WR is watching Canikon users jaws drop because they can't use their cameras where we can use ours.

Maybe it's just me, but I personally think that there is too much bragging about weather-sealing going on. To the point where some photographers will deliberately toss their cameras in the snow, puddles, or wherever just to rub into everyone's face that their gear can take the abuse. Adolescent fanboy behaviour, in my book. Even if we accept the assumption that Pentax is one of the best with weather-protecting their gear for outdoor use, I'd rather enjoy its benefits for my photography than make it an object of one-upmanship against users of competing brands.

Just to make that clear: I'm not trying to suggest that this (bragging) is what the OP is doing. In fact, I'm glad that he didn't drown and will hopefully be able to save at least his lens!
01-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I found a source on the internet

[ anything on the internet has to be correct right ]

which indicates they are jis #000

and recommends a long handle

Correct size screw driver to tighten mount screws on K3?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

can anyone confirm
this post seems to confirm
Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

I am using the JIS type on my K3 too, well... I am living in japan and that is the cross head screwdriver I see often.

01-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To answer the screwdriver question. Japanese cameras use JIS screws. Japan Hobby Tool sells JIS screwdrivers on ebay and Amazon.
01-19-2018, 04:13 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I placed an order for 4 JIS screw drivers yesterday:

" This is our set of hard to find JIS drivers in #000, #00, #0, #1 sizes. Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screws are very common in personal electronics from digital cameras to RC Helicopters. JIS screws are often marked by a single dimple pressed into the screw head.

JIS screws are not designed to "cam-out" or strip the head when overtightened like a Phillips screw, and can be damaged if a Phillips driver is used. JIS drivers can be used in both JIS and Phillips screws with no damage.

This made in the USA set of 4 JIS drivers matches our Professional line of screwdrivers and has ergonomic swivel top ESD safe handles. "

from https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/JIS-Driver-Set/IF145-115-1

comes with a life time warranty
01-19-2018, 04:20 AM   #22
Forum Member

Impressive!

That's an impressive story. I was actually a little disappointed in the WR on my K-30. After shooting a kids soccer match in the rain one day I found towards the end of the game the shutter release started to play up a little, randomly 'half-pressing' by itself. As soon as the camera was dry afterwards it was fine, but there was obviously a little moisture ingress in there somewhere.

Having said that, if it wasn't a Pentax I doubt I'd have taken any photos that day, so it did the job!

01-19-2018, 06:10 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am glad you are safe. The camera is only a toll. No big deal. There is a tendency to lose all situational awareness when looking through a viewfinder.

A friend of mine was in the US Navy in the mid 1960's. He was a photo tech. One project that they worked on was making duplicates of airplane landings on carriers in WWII. All carrier aircraft operations were filmed. He said that it was amazing the number of films that ended with a crashed aircraft skidding towards the cameraman right up to the point of impact. Once you start looking through the viewfinder that becomes your whole world. Sort of like the people walking down the street texting on their phones totally oblivious to the traffic around them.

Last edited by gaweidert; 01-19-2018 at 06:20 AM.
01-19-2018, 06:12 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
. . . Once you start looking through the viewfinder that become your whole world. . . .
one reason to be aware of your surroundings when employing the old fashion zoom technique with a prime lens:

one step forward, two steps back, repeat as necessary

don't trip on anything or fall off anything now
01-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
but will she let you replace the K3, that's what's important!
Thankfully yes. My biggest problem is there is no "real" replacement for my K-3. I would hate to buy the old K3ii knowing it is old technology now. That leaves me with the KP, which lacks some features that are key to me (IR, dual SD card, etc.). So, in the end I will probably get a K-1... but that price... I cannot wait until the new K3iii (?) comes out as I have a vacation coming up in a month.

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Check this blog list from lens rentals out.

Lens Rentals | Blog

Basically salt water is the worst thing you can subject your camera to. The lens might be toast too, eventually.

Share the shot at least...
I saw that before I shipped it away for "repair". It pretty much crushed my dreams of getting my camera fixed.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Given it has been declared dead, Try:
1. Opening it up.
2. Washing the affected regions with distilled water.
3. The dipping in methylated spirits or other pure alcohol.
4. Using a fan to dry it as quickly as possible.
5. Reassembling and test.

Worst possible outcome is it remains wheelie bin filler.
This is what I am going to do once I get the camera back.. It is not like I can do any more harm to a dead camera. For reference, it turns on, but has many other issues from there. Here's to hoping...

one reason to be aware of your surroundings when employing the old fashion zoom technique with a prime lens:

one step forward, two steps back, repeat as necessary

don't trip on anything or fall off anything now
My wife are usually good for watching out for one another. You know, when the best photo is taken from the middle of a street. That only works if you let your partner know you are going to run away and do something stupid.

Finally, attached is one of the photos prior to my stupidity. This is at Reynisfjara beach in Iceland. I probably should have stopped where I was at (still too close to the water...), but instead I went around that cliff on the left side of the photo. I took some shots there, the best ones were actually from my Samsung S7 (waterproof ).

01-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

That is sad, sorry to hear about your camera. Though WR was never meant for salt water...it is very dangerous to electronics.
01-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
That is sad, sorry to hear about your camera. Though WR was never meant for salt water...it is very dangerous to electronics.
"Some things in here don't react well to bullets"