Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photokina 2008, what can we expect from Pentax??

Hello:

The 2008 Photokina exhibition is less than a month away. Any rumors/gossip of any upcoming DSLRs that Pentax may reveal?

I know the K200d/K20d probably aren't due for refresh, buy any chance of seeing updates? I can possibly see the K200d being refreshed with live view, 12mp, etc.

Just interested in what you guys think

I know the sony camp is anticipating a full frame DSLR...

Thx,
PJ

08-31-2008, 01:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, it was told by Pentax there would be new DSLR.

A new APS-C DSLR is coming. It is not going to be in the same class of both the K20D and K200D. So, it is either a model above the K20D or below the K200D, where the latter is more possible. The source of information is official but there is not information of any kind about the new camera. For more details, read:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Official: New Pentax DSLR Model is Coming; Full Frame Model is Under Planning

Also, the K200D Sony sensor does not have Live View feature. So, to make the K200D update has LV, an external sensor in the viewfinder is required, i.e., like what Sony do with their A300/350. Whilst the Sony approach for LV is "seamless" and "smooth" in operation as judged by DPR, I personally like LV by sensor, that is, the approach taken by the K20D and others, which is the truely accurate LV mode with 100% coverage and accuracy and will not have blindness at lower light, too.

Unfortunately, while the K20D's sensor is LV capable, the implementation of the LV function in the K20D is just so lame that the LV is not much useful. I hope Pentax should improve this in the K30D as soon as possible, or, in a new firmware of the K20D, if possible.
08-31-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

How many of these threads do we need?
08-31-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
How many of these threads do we need?
Happens before every major show.

08-31-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
A new APS-C DSLR is coming. It is not going to be in the same class of both the K20D and K200D. So, it is either a model above the K20D or below the K200D, where the latter is more possible. The source of information is official but there is not information of any kind about the new camera. For more details, read:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Official: New Pentax DSLR Model is Coming; Full Frame Model is Under Planning
Can't you ever just post a direct link instead of forever flogging your blog? I came damned near not getting a Pentax from reading your blog while doing research preparatory to purchasing a DSLR. Thank God I didn't stop reading there.
08-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
at least 3 times...
08-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

All bickering aside, I'd love to see a K20D Super; though it's very, incredibly, highly unlikely.

Something along the lines of at least 5 fps and faster AF.
08-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
All bickering aside, I'd love to see a K20D Super; though it's very, incredibly, highly unlikely.

Something along the lines of at least 5 fps and faster AF.
The only problem is that besides a new mirror box/shutter system a 5 fps camera will need a different processor than PRiME because this one can't process 5 fps @ 14.6 Mp. Add to this a new AF system and basically except for the sensor and mettering system you have a new camera. Of course to compete it also needs a 3" hires LCD on the back which may or may not fit in the current body. Hence it makes little sense to improve on the fps level anyway. I would do a K20D Super with new AF, maybe slight sensor tweaks and the larger 3" LCD if possible. And then launch a new KxD camera with all the goodies (and many things can be improved for sure) for the Xmas season.

Radu

08-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Can't you ever just post a direct link instead of forever flogging your blog?
simple awnser, NO.
08-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I came damned near not getting a Pentax from reading your blog while doing research preparatory to purchasing a DSLR. Thank God I didn't stop reading there.
I think the exact same thing every time he posts.

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
5 fps camera will need a different processor than PRiME because this one can't process 5 fps @ 14.6 Mp.
I would be careful speculating about this. If a roadmap for future development was available when the K10 was being put together it's likely they expected this, and have a plan. Even if not, it was most likely designed with some leeway in mind. Perhaps, for example, they're designed to be able to be paired to process multiple images in parallel, as I believe some of the other manufacturer's chips are - I guess we'll find out when the new camera arrives.

If nothing else, it's very very likely the original design has leeway for having it's throughput capacity increased - so they expand, test, and spin out a PRIME II...
Not exactly cheap, not exactly rapid, but it's hopefully not that arduous...
08-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
I think the exact same thing every time he posts.

I would be careful speculating about this. If a roadmap for future development was available when the K10 was being put together it's likely they expected this, and have a plan. Even if not, it was most likely designed with some leeway in mind. Perhaps, for example, they're designed to be able to be paired to process multiple images in parallel, as I believe some of the other manufacturer's chips are - I guess we'll find out when the new camera arrives.

If nothing else, it's very very likely the original design has leeway for having it's throughput capacity increased - so they expand, test, and spin out a PRIME II...
Not exactly cheap, not exactly rapid, but it's hopefully not that arduous...
It makes no sense to use after 2 years the same image processor. I think for Pentax it's imperative to come out with a PRiME2 manufactured in a new CMOS process with improvements in design and capability to be serialised for higher loads. Also this new process will make it more energy efficient and faster in MHz. Why I believe that PRiME couldn't get more than 3 fps anyway? Simply, K20D has actually more like 2,9 fps although mechanically it capable of 3 fps. Also the RAW files are 12 bit and this could be the sign that CPU power is missing. Remember that even the mighty D300 can do only 2,5 fps @14 bit RAW. Pentax needs a PRiME2 and my feeling is that it's comming sooner rather than latter.
Remember the Samsung - Pentax partnership is more than 2 years old and I can't think they stood idle in this time. More likely they couldn't get all the new systems in Jannuary for K20D and so they postponed a year the whole "revolution". Anyway PRiME could have a bit more life in it for the lower class cameras.

My HO,
Radu
08-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Can't you ever just post a direct link instead of forever flogging your blog? I came damned near not getting a Pentax from reading your blog while doing research preparatory to purchasing a DSLR. Thank God I didn't stop reading there.
me too, but it was before his blog just from his posts and that was when the *ist ds was reasonably new. personally it's not healthy and he needs to move on.
09-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #13

What can you expect....?

A plethora of responses, conjecture, supposition.
09-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
What can you expect....?

A plethora of responses, conjecture, supposition.
Here's what I expect from Photokina: some will be satisfied, some will not. We will hear a *lot* more from the disatisfied. I can hardly wait ;P
09-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Remember the Samsung - Pentax partnership is more than 2 years old and I can't think they stood idle in this time. More likely they couldn't get all the new systems in Jannuary for K20D and so they postponed a year the whole "revolution". Anyway PRiME could have a bit more life in it for the lower class cameras.
I also think they had to get a K20D out to counter the sales declines and discounts of the K10D. The K20D has a lot of half-baked new features IMHO, it feels like a rushed release. An updated K20D at Photokina wouldn't surprise me that much. And it will be very much needed to counter the price decaying of the K20D (inevitable after the 50D release I think). A K250D with a live view 12MP CMOS would also be a nice upgrade in a tough market where the K200D does not differentiate enough itself.

Disclaimer: all this is of course pure speculation.